DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Need help on decision (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/480726-need-help-decision.html)

Luke Oliver June 21st, 2010 12:23 PM

Need help on decision

Hello, i have been reading and reading and looking and am considering selling my sony HVR V1 which i use as a B cam to my Z5 for a canon 7d

That would mean i would have my sony Z5 , wireless audio and a 7d.

Does anyone else use a combo similar?? Does it work ok

regards

Luke

Kelly Langerak June 21st, 2010 03:00 PM

Luke, rent one if you can or borrow one.

See how you like it.

I use it up against others cameras and it never looks the same unless you are shooting outdoors then it can come kinda close.

Try using one or renting one to compare it to your Z5. Only you can say if it's matchable in the end.

John Wiley June 21st, 2010 08:04 PM

The 7d does not make a great B-camera because it does not record for longer than about 13 minutes, So you will have to start the recording again. It also will need to remain with all settings locked (exposure, focus etc) because the HDSLR's are not relialbe in auto mode. A proper camcorder will handle auto-exposure or auto-focus changes alot better and give you fewer hassles.

However the DSLR's can give you some excellent artistic shots and are great for bridal prep or the photoshoot, or low-light situations at the reception. If you really want to experiment with HDSLR's, I'd recommend selling the V1p and getting a cheap camcorder (such as the XR550) and a t2i rather than the 7d. That way for about the same price you can get a reliable backup camera and use the t2i for select shots.

James Strange June 22nd, 2010 02:21 PM

I was in a very similar situation at the start of the year.

My A-cam is a z5, my B-cam was an FX7 (V1 without the xlrs)

I sold my fx7 and bought a 7d with 17-55 f2.8 lens.

Its been working great.

The problem with using the fx7 as a b cam to the z5, was the fx7 footage looked crap compared to the z5 (crap is a bit harsh, but in low light, the fx7 was very bad, but the z5 was pretty good, and the 7D does even better in low light than the fx7,

So I say go for it, the 7d is a much better b-cam than the fx7 (v1) IMHO.

I still shoot 1080i on the z5, while the 7d is 25p, I'm experementing with shooting 25p on the z5 as it does it natively.

I like the 7d so much I'm considering getting a 550d to use as a c-cam, or even as a b-cam to the 7d as an A-cam.

If you tweak the settings (pic profiles etc) you can get apretty good match, I always have to do a little CC, but then I always had to do a little CC to match the fx7 and z5 anyway.

PLUS, you'e got a great stills cam as well.

Luke Oliver June 23rd, 2010 01:17 PM

re

In response to James

So how do you go about shooting in the church then , 7d at the back or front, do you include the whole ceremonies in your final film. Can you elaborate on your workflow a bit ( if you dont mind) . What happens at 11 mins when it over heats, are you not then a bit screwed?

luke

James Strange June 24th, 2010 06:37 PM

usually both z5 and 7d up front with me.

I include whole ceremony (just cut dead air)

the 7d doesn't overheat at 12 mins, just automatically stops recording at 12 mins or so.

just hit start stop every 12 mins (which is a pain, but you get used to it)