How to avoid looking like "the video guy" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 7th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to avoid looking like "the video guy"

What do you guys wear/do to either blend in (e.g. at a wedding) for guerrilla filming or just for socializing.

Usually looking like "the video guy" is helpful but on the occasions when it isn't what do you do?
Old July 7th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #2
Major Player

Use a Canon 7D?
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I've always worn show blacks but as far as blending in...not so much. I have a camera with a light on it with a wireless receiver on it, am most of the time on a DVMultirig and go on the dance floor to video the people dancing and partying, so blending in is not tops on my priority list. Not obnoxious but no wall flower either. Anyway some guys/gals are a bit more 'hidden' than I am but that's what I do and wear.
I have to be honest and say I've never had a time when looking like the video guy has been a major problem so I can't really answer to that.
Old July 7th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Turn your tally lights off and if you want to interview someone never walk up to them toting your camera .. you'll scare off most folks.

Have someone else engage them in conversation and ask at the right moment.

Or get someone to hold yr cam and you do it. Old news hound trick.

Don what do you call show blacks?
Cheers.
Old July 7th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Black shirt, black pants. Short sleeve long sleeve depends on the job and time of year. Summer weddings, short sleeve. Winter weddings, long sleeve. Summer seminars winter seminars, long sleeve regardless of whether I'm working in video world backstage or operating a camera out on the main floor.
Old July 7th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks. Cheers.
Old July 8th, 2010, 04:33 AM   #7
Major Player

Dark suit with white shirt and tie for a wedding always. Black shirt and trousers for disco or party, with black jacket for formal/business/civic events, with black tie if very formal. Anything else jeans and tee shirt, casual jacket and shoes.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 01:30 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I can't help but to look like the video guy.

The company i work for makes us wear a shirt that says "Video Guy" on it with a play button. Whenever I go out on a shoot, people always say, "hey it's the video guy." I hate that shirt, but it's great for marketing. They've trademarked the names "video guy" and "video girl"
Corey Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I wear all black, in that way guests almost don't notice me and it makes my work a bit easier at weddings.

Quote:
The company i work for makes us wear a shirt that says "Video Guy" on it with a play button.
Some time ago at a music festival I saw a videoguy walking around with a shirt with a print on the back: "forbidden to feed the videographer" :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the replies, sorry to hear about the shirt Corey
Old July 8th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kilroy View Post
Dark suit with white shirt and tie for a wedding always. Black shirt and trousers for disco or party, with black jacket for formal/business/civic events, with black tie if very formal. Anything else jeans and tee shirt, casual jacket and shoes.
I can't imagine doing a wedding or any other video job while wearing a suit. It just would not provide the freedom of movement that I need. Plus I'd waste so much time tucking my shirt back in or straightening up my tie every time I moved.

Personally I wear black slacks and a grey/blue/white work shirt with at least two sealable front pockets (fesh tape in the left, exhausted tapes go in the right pocket). I'll be getting some company T-shirts done up soon - dark grey or black with my logo on the front and company details on the back. I'll wear those for more casual jobs like shooting surfing or live bands, as well as giving a few to my friends who said they'd be happy to wear them around town for a bit of PR.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 05:09 AM   #12
Major Player

I never have a problem wearing a suit, I've always done it out of respect and consideration for my clients and their guests who will have made every effort on their day to look smart. I couldn't imagine wearing a tee shirt to the sort of weddings I do. No disrespect intended but I've always thought photographers who turn up at an expensive wedding in casual or inappropriate clothing are making more of a 'look at me' or 'I can't be bothered' statement. I find I can blend in with the wedding guests much easier if I am similarly dressed, but then that's just me. Mind you I am quite often asked for directions at hotels, or to fetch more wine during the meal.
I've always considered 'blacks' as theatre wear (i.e. when I've got to work in the stage shadows or in the auditorium).

This is not meant as a slight or criticism, everyone should work in what they feel comfortable in and in answer to the Laurence's question why worry about looking like a video guy, that's what you are and a camera on your shoulder or tripod is usually enough to give you away.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 04:54 PM   #13
Regular Crew

My best response to the OPs question is: just wear what you think everyone else will be wearing. As for the equipment...well, there's only so much you can do about that. Just try to keep it to what's necessary and no more (i.e. don't bring 3 mics and a mixer if you only need one), and try not to get too into people's faces (without missing your shot of course).
Old July 9th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #14
Inner Circle

For weddings wear a white shirt and white balance off the sleeve, it drives the single women nuts.

Cheers.
Old July 9th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #15
Trustee

I think that's the best advice: wear what everyone else will be wearing. Second to that is all black. All black neat-casual is an accepted camera person uniform. If you are going to be on or near a stage recording a performance, wear all black so you don't show up as much on other cameras or look distracting to the audience. If I wore a suit to an event here in Hawaii, I would look like a crazy white guy just off the plane who doesn't understand local culture. Here, dark slacks and an aloha shirt are formal attire. Suit jackets are reserved only for people of importance in the event like a speaker or a wedding party. Wear what everyone else will be wearing - or all black. If you were to work at a music festival and wore a suit jacket, people would probably avoid you. If you wore a tuxedo to court, you would stick out like a crazy person. You don't want to be unapproachable if you are trying to get candid shots. Overdressing can be just as bad as under dressing.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques