DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   What about the bad wedding videos? "Show me the garbage!!" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/481548-what-about-bad-wedding-videos-show-me-garbage.html)

Kelly Langerak July 7th, 2010 09:39 PM

What about the bad wedding videos? "Show me the garbage!!"

Link removed by Admin

Tim Harjo July 7th, 2010 10:39 PM

I thought the video had some pretty good ideas.

I don't see a reason to trash anyone's work, especially when it's clear so much effort went into production/post production.

Adam Haro July 7th, 2010 10:56 PM

The quality of a video is so subjective. Personally I find the animations very cheesy and would never use them. But I did have a client a few years back come back to me ad complain that her video didn't have any of the animated wedding bands or animated toasting glasses etc... I downloaded some of those effects and edited them in and she was very happy.

In my market the videos we put out are considered very good. We get alot of referrals from past clients and other vendors. When I look at the samples posted on this site though I am very humbled.

Kelly Langerak July 7th, 2010 11:03 PM

All comments are welcome. Good or bad.

I posted this because I've never ever seen anything like it

I'm just a little tired of seeing all good or great videos. Let's see one's that aren't of the norm on this site.

I personally think this video scares the crap out of me.

The bride flying in the clouds and that glowing thing that attaches to her is off the charts.

It's just interesting to me and I'd like to see more crazy videos like this.

Tom Bostick July 8th, 2010 01:28 AM

that was very very different ,wow i don't think i would ever ever edit Anything like that

Chris Harding July 8th, 2010 01:57 AM

Hi Kelly

He very obviously loves his proDad Adorage software a lot so he uses it whenever he can.

I think the expression is that the style is "very '80's" ..however if his couples love it then why not use it..it might look cheesy to us but he might just be all the rage at home???

Shucks, if there was a huge market for that with my brides, I'd be silly not to use it!! (I actually have Adorage so it wouldn't be a problem either)...maybe we are the ignorant ones thinking his videos are silly while he is raking in the bucks cos his style is so much in demand???? I did a Muslim wedding a while back and the groom-to-be showed me a copy of his brother's wedding DVD and yes, you guessed it, it was full of special effects ...gosh even some animated text saying "I love you" floated down the screen while they were cutting the cake!!! Different cultures have different tastes!!

Chris

Philip Howells July 8th, 2010 05:11 AM

Kelly, in my view there's no mileage in showing something that's bad or wrong or ill-advised - taking the point that our clients' judgments are subjective. Remember that this forum gets a lot of Google notice and is not isolated from our potential clients. Do you really want a potential client seeing something that shows you in a bad light. OK we all have clients needs to meet, but if a client's requests leave such a bad programme, I sometimes won't have my name associated with it, so no ident on the programme, the disk or the library case.

Some years ago I was commissioned to produce a series of training programmes for one of the UK's leading roadside repair and recovery organisations. Much of their work isn't carried out by their own people but by garages set up specifically to service the organisations. Over the years these gorillas had got the parent organisations a very bad name for personal service.

My clients were desperate to include some of the more extreme instance of bad practice but as the writer/director I resisted all requests on the grounds that a) giving exposure to bad practice is a waste of resource and b) there are a million wrong ways to do something but, by definition, only one way is Best Practice. Even if there are acceptable degrees of correctness, to show how not to do something is a waste of time.

Chris Harding July 8th, 2010 06:03 AM

Hi Philip

I agree that it's not necessary to put any bad video with good video BUT who are we to say that that particular one IS bad video??? It may look strange to us but might absolutely delight the clients in his country... put that video with a bunch of others made in the same style and they are are roughly the same.

Tastes are different in every culture and this might be considered exquisite in his land!! It is really unfair to compare a culturally style wedding clip with a Western styled one. Truffles are considered an absolute delicacy in some countries fetching over $1000 per kilo...when I saw one for the first time I was disgusted.. who in their right mind would eat (and pay huge money) for a lumpy piece of black fungus.

Chris

Philip Howells July 8th, 2010 06:59 AM

Chris, I agree I was probably thinking more about the title "Show me the garbage" than the specific promo. Bad video is bad regardless of culture and shouldn't be shown.

Chris Davis July 8th, 2010 07:29 AM

It's obvious the person put a fair amount of work into it. What I think are "bad" wedding videos are from the locked down camera in the back of the church that basically looks like a security video. Then I hear the B&G paid $1000 for it.

Chris Hurd July 8th, 2010 01:45 PM

This subject really is not in the spirit of what DV Info Net is all about.
I've removed the link and I'm closing the thread. If this is something
you're interested in, post it to your own blog but definitely not here.
I don't want this site to be seen as a place to trash-talk other people's
work. Thanks for understanding,