DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Redid my website (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/48210-redid-my-website.html)

Ken Hendrickson July 24th, 2005 05:07 AM

Redid my website

I spent all day yesterday making my company website more aesthetically pleasing. Let me know what you think.

BTW, all but the last link on the video samples page are currently dead as I haven't uploaded them yet.

www.onespecialmoment.com

Boyd Ostroff July 24th, 2005 07:24 AM

I like the romantic picture, but on my screen the blue links at the top are hard to read against the black background. Also, the script text in the upper left (which I *think* says "one special moment") is very hard to read because of the font, color and background.

Of course, my eyes ain't what they used to be, so maybe it's just me? ;-)

K. Forman July 24th, 2005 07:29 AM

Don't feel too bad Boyd, I have old eyes too ;) The links at the top need to be a bit bolder, just to make them easier to spot. The font you have chosen is also a little hard to read.

Ken Hendrickson July 24th, 2005 09:07 AM

OK, I fixed the link colors. I ment to do that before, but just kinda forgot about it :o

I'm gonna work on the picture a little more when I have more time.

Daniel Runyon July 24th, 2005 11:59 PM

I think you did a mighty fine job there, Ken. I liked the sites overall mood and aura. I liked the fact that it was very easy and quickly navigated. I have no idea what it looked like before, but it looks fantastic to me. That index image is awesome. Good inspirations.

Daniel

Ken Hendrickson July 25th, 2005 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Runyon
I think you did a mighty fine job there, Ken. I liked the sites overall mood and aura. I liked the fact that it was very easy and quickly navigated. I have no idea what it looked like before, but it looks fantastic to me. That index image is awesome. Good inspirations.

Daniel

Thanks, that's actually a picture of my wife and I from our wedding. It's kinda funny, the backdrop for that picture was actually a picture we tried to take about a year ago of a sunset. It didn't come out right, the focus came out blurred and we never deleted it. I was going through old pictures on my computer, and I thought it would make a great splash image for my website.

Daniel Runyon July 25th, 2005 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Hendrickson
Thanks, that's actually a picture of my wife and I from our wedding. It's kinda funny, the backdrop for that picture was actually a picture we tried to take about a year ago of a sunset. It didn't come out right, the focus came out blurred and we never deleted it. I was going through old pictures on my computer, and I thought it would make a great splash image for my website.

That makes it all the more awesome, Ken (The fact that it is an image of you and your wife getting married)! I really like it when the vender is genuinely appreciative of the importance of marriage, as the final results should reflect that more strongly, in ways that new couple will not even know to value for even a little while to come.

I had also noticed and admired the focus of the sun photo giving an amazing sense of depth and the foreground photo having exactly the right balance of contrast to both blend into the whole picture, and show enough detail, to almost become three dimensional. Very pleasing overall, and the text across the photo is of a great color...almost a dangerous choice, and you seem to have found the exact color sweetspot to make it work well, with the dropshadows adding greatly to the 3D effects. And despite it being an index page made largely from a huge image, it loads well within the toleration zone....I say bravo, and then stand and clap.

Brian K Jones July 27th, 2005 07:10 PM

Nice website, Ken. Do you feel your website has helped increase business?

Ken Hendrickson July 28th, 2005 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian K Jones
Nice website, Ken. Do you feel your website has helped increase business?

Well, I started advertising with Wedj.com about 10 days ago, and litterally the day after I redid my site, I got two leads, one of which is pretty much a done deal. So I would say that's a deffinate yes.

The content of the site didn't change at all. In fact, I didn't change a single word, I just changed the layout a bit and added pretty graphics. The site before was just text and the splash image.

BTW, I think gigbuilder is awesome. It's exactly how I wanted my site to be, but I lacked the time to learn how to make my site function like that. I think it really captures the lazy impulse buyers who don't want to, or lack the time to call around. They see my demo and my prices and can book me from the comfort of their livingroom.

Keith Loh July 28th, 2005 03:17 AM

I think the text is hard to read, personally. Both in the logo and in that long opening message.

Alex Gee August 3rd, 2005 11:51 PM

Quote:

The content of the site didn't change at all. In fact, I didn't change a single word,

Well, you might want to change the first word in this sentence

"You're highlight montage and prep hosted on the internet for 3 months"

(You are highlight montage .... :) )

Ken Hendrickson August 4th, 2005 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Gee
Well, you might want to change the first word in this sentence

"You're highlight montage and prep hosted on the internet for 3 months"

(You are highlight montage .... :) )

Doh. Thanks for catching that.

Mike F Smith October 15th, 2005 01:18 PM

Cake

Ken,

Cineamatography 1A, When you tilt a person, building or thing, in your case the cake. It suggests something is wrong to the viewer. I have been looking at many clips on this website. This tecnique seems very popular but I think it can only be done on a very limited basis and with great care. In film when there is an earthquake the camera will tilt or when showing someone who is mentally disturbed.

Mike

Steven Davis November 8th, 2005 03:52 PM

Quote:

Well, I started advertising with Wedj.com about 10 days ago, and litterally the day after I redid my site, I got two leads, one of which is pretty much a done deal.

Hey Ken,

I just listed our company on wedj.com, hows that working since you posted this.

Ken Hendrickson November 10th, 2005 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis
Hey Ken,

I just listed our company on wedj.com, hows that working since you posted this.

Well my name is deffinately getting out there with it, i've had probably 10-15 'price shoppers' and one booking in the 4 months i've been advertising on it. The booking, which I shot on Saturday, has led to a referral who wants to book me for their wedding next summer.

I also get 2-3 emails a day from them saying people have been visiting my site.