DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   English as she is spoken .... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/482150-english-she-spoken.html)

Philip Howells July 20th, 2010 03:29 AM

English as she is spoken ....

We participants in this forum know well how the vagaries of a common language can distort meanings but I’m sure we can all share the incongruity of a mis-spelling/typo we noticed on a recent wedding breakfast menu:

Between items headed “Starter” (vegetable soup) and “Main Course” (roast pork) came a Lemon Sorbet described as “Pallet Cleanser”.

We're one of the few video companies that don't expect the clients to feed us, but no doubt it was one of those water ices that take the skin off the roof of your mouth!

Nigel Barker July 20th, 2010 03:37 AM

While dining in Honfleur in Northern France I took the gourmet set menu & was intrigued that course 4 or 5 was a Trou Normande which translates as Norman Hole. It actually turned out to be a sorbet made from the local cider with a touch of Calvados the local apple brandy (which would probably clean your pallets up a treat).

Kees van Duijvenbode July 20th, 2010 04:45 AM

And I, as a dutch guy who speaks reasonabe english, dont understand a f ... what you are talking about.

Bill Engeler July 20th, 2010 05:34 AM

Kies - The correct term is palate cleanser. A pallet is the wood frame you load things onto, before shipping by truck (or should I say lorry).

Allan Black July 20th, 2010 05:39 AM

And it's not confined to the northern hemisphere. In the studio my dear old friend Ross H. used to fire up new clients with his wonderful warm up which included script lines like ..

'What's that on the road a head?'

And a beautiful but dumb voice actress who once blurted out ..'we can't start yet Anns not here'

Ann. was the live announcer. Gotta keep a straight face.
Cheers.

Vito DeFilippo July 20th, 2010 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1550389)
While dining in Honfleur in Northern France I took the gourmet set menu & was intrigued that course 4 or 5 was a Trou Normande which translates as Norman Hole. It actually turned out to be a sorbet made from the local cider with a touch of Calvados the local apple brandy (which would probably clean your pallets up a treat).

Here in the spring, you go to the Cabane à Sucre (Sugar Shack) to eat maple syrup drenched food. One of my favourite desserts at that meal is 'Pets des soeurs', which means 'Nun's farts...'

Gotta love Quebec.

Philip Howells July 21st, 2010 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees van Duijvenbode (Post 1550398)
And I, as a dutch guy who speaks reasonabe english, dont understand a f ... what you are talking about.

Kees, accept my apologies, I didn't mean the topic to be exclusive - though in fairness your command of the old German terms that we've absorbed into English seems quite adequate.

Best regards

Kees van Duijvenbode July 21st, 2010 04:31 AM

No worries, I was just wondering. Since Bill explained that it should be palate instead of pallet I understand the hilarity.