DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   How do you Dress for Wedding Shooting? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/48347-how-do-you-dress-wedding-shooting.html)

Steve Montoto July 26th, 2005 02:53 PM

How do you Dress for Wedding Shooting?

I have done a few weddings now and always wear slacks and a jacket with tie, but its not the most comfortable outfit, especially with all the running around I do.

I was wondering what do you guys wear? Would it be wrong to wear some nice
pressed dark blue jeans with a sport jacket and tie?

Just curious on anyones thoughts.

Thanks

Devin Eskew July 26th, 2005 03:13 PM

I wouldn't go that route myself, however I've seen dockers and a semi-dress button up shirt. Yet I also have seen a photagrapher dressed up like he was going on safari, he was VERY out of place. I always think of it as this is not only what my client will see, but other prospective clients as well. You don't want the couple to tell everyone, man our video was great! However he wore jeans to the wedding. Word of mouth can kill!

Michael Liebergot July 26th, 2005 03:26 PM

I would never go that casual with jeans, unless it was that casual a wedding, like a beach style wedding.
I always wear a black suit or black sportcoat and grey slacks with either a shirt and tie or a black rayon dress tee shirt. Try to be as formal and comfortable as I can be.
The summers here in MD can get unbearibly hot, like this year is killer, so I have yet to be in a shirt and tie.
I do own a good tux and accessories, but only wear those when it's approriate, like New Years Eve, or Formal Black Tie Wedding.

BTW, I always bring 1 or 2 extra shirts to slip into if needed, as I am one to get hot easy.

Michael

K. Forman July 26th, 2005 03:54 PM

I wear a pair of nick black Dockers type slacks, and a dress shirt. The slacks are very roomy, and have huge pockets for batteries, lens caps, and spare DV tapes. I also have a pair of semi dress shoes I got at Sears, which are as comfy as sneakers.

Always be as professional as possible, and dress as nice as the guests.

Lorinda Norton July 26th, 2005 04:13 PM

A dress that blends with most any setting and comfortable 4 inch heels.

(I know you asked the guys, but I couldn't resist. Pretend I wasn't here.) ;)

Patrick King July 26th, 2005 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
A dress that blends with most any setting and comfortable 4 inch heels. (I know you asked the guys, but I couldn't resist. Pretend I wasn't here.) ;)

Lorinda,

I'm thinking he would stand out worse than the guy in cargo shorts if he followed your advice. But then it might depend on how well that dress blends in. :{

K. Forman July 26th, 2005 04:26 PM

And how well he can navigate in 4" heels...

Ben Lynn July 26th, 2005 08:38 PM

Dress like a guest in that you need to look nice, but be comfortable enough to perform your job. I don't think that the jeans would be as comfortable as a nice pair of slacks. I know, we all have a comfy pair of jeans for around the house, but this is work and nice, pressed jeans are hot and uncomfortable. The slacks will breathe better in the heat and let you move around comfortably. And they'll look the part of the wedding videographer.

Ben Lynn

Don Bloom July 26th, 2005 09:28 PM

Black dress slacks always. For winter a black turtle neck either in silk or a cotton blend depending on how cold it is. For spring summer and early fall, either a black short sleeve turtle neck (golf shirts that absorb the "moisture") or black silk "T" shirt especially for outdoor ceremonies. I've never been able to work comfortably in a coat and tie. I've wore them in the past but haven't in probably 5 years. I don't miss them either.
Oh yeah and I usually skip[ the 4 inch heels and go for something a bit more comfy on the dogs. ;-)
Don

Peter Jefferson July 26th, 2005 09:44 PM

black cotton/microfibre pants, blue microfibre shirt (easy to clean with a damp cloth) black vest or black cashmere overcoat if its cold, and most importantly black Nike joggers... these actually are very classy looking joggers and i wwas surprised to find them... but theyre perfect..

Steve Montoto July 27th, 2005 02:01 PM

Thanks for all the input, I always have worn some black slacks button up , tie and jacket. By the end of the night Im dying... I think i am going to look into some of the microfibre clothes and black nike's.

Thanks again all.

Patrick King July 27th, 2005 02:10 PM

Was that the Nike's with the 4" heel?

Lorinda Norton July 27th, 2005 02:35 PM

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...edressshoe.jpg

Devin Eskew July 27th, 2005 02:55 PM

Well, well.....Lorinda may get us all into heels after all. Looks like I may have to shave my legs.........on second thought, mabye not. ;-)

Giroud Francois July 27th, 2005 05:13 PM

in fact there are 2 schools.
the first is you dress for work. you do not care what others wear, because you are here to work and you need other to see it.
you need to walk on your knees, climb anything you can think of and transport all your equipment. You do not need to take care of the other, because they know your are not a person, just a kind of journalist.

The second is to play the invisible man.
You look like anybody at the wedding (and even better), but you have to answer every two steps the question "Are you a friend from Annie or from Tom ?"
Everybody will mumble about this guy who always rush in front of the others, blocking the view (after all your are not the only invitee with a camera).
You will be able to shoot more smiling people than the guy who looks like a reporter and with the time, people will start to forget about you and even grab you by the arm saying "hey take a shot on us !"

I think if you go for the third solution (the in-between), i mean correctly dressed but not like for a wedding, and too good for a reporter, you cannot project a strong image and that is always bad for your businness.

Cesar Ruiz July 27th, 2005 06:15 PM

Black pants, black socks, black jacket, and a black dress t-shirt. I always say hello and goodbye with the jacket on. I enter establishments with the jacket on but once everyone's attention turns to the bride and groom, if it is hot, the jacket comes off.

I always shoot the preps with the jacket off also. I overheat too easily.

Seth Palmer July 27th, 2005 08:09 PM

I wear black or grey pants with good pockets, and either a white, light grey or dark grey button up shirt to all indoor ceremonies/events. If it is an outdoor/beach/laid back type of event, a have a nike dri-fit polo which looks very proffesional and keeps you very cool! Yes, it has a white nike swoosh on it but nothing that a black sharpie can't fix! Oh, if I know the bride and groom are having a super traditional/black tie affair type deal...I throw on a tie and jacket until most everyone elses comes off...maybe done this like twice in a hundred or so weddings...

P.S My wife and I work together a lot and she likes me to wear white so that she can get a good read on what the bride's dress will be doing in certain spots...but I don't really like white because I am a pretty messy drinker/eater...yeah my shirt has needed to be changed a time or two in the middle of a reception...always bring a back-up!

Seth