DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   giant squid lav (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/483499-giant-squid-lav.html)

Susanto Widjaja August 18th, 2010 02:32 AM

giant squid lav

hi guys,

I have heard of great review regarding the giant squid lav mics so I ordered one for my olympus recorder...

Im quiet dissapointed with the result since it sounded very very muffled compared to the sennheiser one. Is it because "you get what you pay for" or did I get a defective one?

Whats your experience??

Santo

Johannes Soetandi August 18th, 2010 02:51 AM

Actually, I am having the same experience as yours. I bought two of them a few months ago.. and I didn't really like it. I very much prefer my Olympus ME-15, which I'll be using for my main digital recorder. I agree with you, the squid lab mic doesn't sound very clear...

Susanto Widjaja August 18th, 2010 06:25 AM

hey what do you think of that me15 mic? any video sample?

Cody Dulock August 18th, 2010 08:45 AM

What model of Giant Squid mic did you get? I have the mono omni mic, but I'm curious about the mono cardiod mic.

Ian Holb August 18th, 2010 11:18 AM

They belong in the trash.

Cody Dulock August 18th, 2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Holb (Post 1560333)
They belong in the trash.

Ian, thank you for your well thought out solution...

Ian Holb August 18th, 2010 01:00 PM

They are junk. Not worth using for anything that pays the bills as there are better lav mics out there.

I have both the omni and the cardiod. The omni is passable, but it is noisier compared to a similarly priced ATR35s, and it requires plug-in power. The sound is a bit muffled, and closed. The cardiod is a piece of junk. The one I had was very hissy with a strong discolouration of the sound, due to the hole on the side of the lav. I couldn't believe the sound quality of this mic was at a level that it would be even sold, let alone sold to professionals. I chucked it into the trash. So yes, I was being serious with my solution.

Chip Thome August 18th, 2010 03:36 PM

I have been watching this thread as I just got my first, and have my second coming in the next day or so. I too bought the omni without power.

I also have the ATR35s that is mentioned, so figured for my own good, I would do a direct comparison of my mics, as I will be relying on something for this weekend.

Both were plugged into the same recorder, one after the other, a Yamaha Pockletrak CX set to 48K 16 bit. My position did not change much if at all, as I did my comparison.

The ATR35s recorded at almost -21db at it's highest point, but not quite. It recorded to the left channel only. To functionally hear it, I needed to boost gain in Audition pretty substantially.

The Giant Squid recorded the full range up to either -1 or 0db, didn't get that detailed in my comparision. It recorded to both the left and right channels.

The Giant Squid had a "throatiness" to it, IMO, if I concentrated on listening to it, but was quiet when not recording my voice.

The ATR35s, after applying the gain became quite noisy when not recording my voice, and my voice sounded "different" than the Giant Squid. The Yamaha recorded some noise on the right channel with the ATR35s, and to hear the ATR35s clearly, I had to zero out that channel in Audition after gain was applied to the entire clip.

For me, for this weekend, it's the Giant Squids.

Allan Black August 18th, 2010 04:30 PM

Yo Chip, are you sure you got that right?

The ATR35s must be sick because I agree with the others, once I got my Sony ECM77 lavs my omni GS lavs (and with the battery boxes) didn't even register on the meters.

Cheers.

Chip Thome August 18th, 2010 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 1560421)
Yo Chip, are you sure you got that right?

The ATR35s must be sick because I agree with the others, once I got my Sony ECM77 lavs my omni GS lavs (and with the battery boxes) didn't even register on the meters.

Cheers.

Hi Allen,

If you wish, send me a PM with your email addy, or anyone else for that matter, and I'll send you the actual .wav files both created. Together they are only about 3 meg, so can be emailed easily enough.

Both of these mics have been used about equally as much, not hardly at all. The Giant Squid is weeks old, the ATR35s about a year, sitting in it's box waiting to be used. When I received both, I checked each to make sure it functioned, but not necessarily for its sound quality until now.

The ATR35s used its battery, the Giant Squids, used without external power.

Software I used to examine the .wav files was Adobe Audition 3.

The recorder again, Yamaha Pocketrak CX set to 48K 16 bit with High Pass Filter engaged. Recorder is days old, fully charged etc.

I am sure there are more scientific tests done, but this is what I had available to me today.

Someone with better hearing might hear the same thing from mine as others are stating here, IDK. My hearing sucks, so not the best to compare the finer aspects of one as of against another.

Happy to share if anyone wishes, your view with your hearing might be very different than what mine is.

Susanto Widjaja August 18th, 2010 06:32 PM

Hi guys,

I'm surprised to see more unhappy customers of GS as I was reading a lot of happy ones before I bought them...

regarding the atr35s, I have done some research and the thing that turned me off with this mic is that it has 20ft cable. I'm sure quality wise its ok but its just gonna be a pain to use on weddings.

What do ya'll think of this one here? hama lm-09

YouTube - hama LM 09 lavalier (tie clip) interview microphone review

Chip Thome August 18th, 2010 07:23 PM

Tha packaging looks very similar to the ATR35s and as I found out, the review says it only outputs to the left channel, as does the ATR35s. I'd guess same place made them both. Appearance etc, sure resembles the ATR35s I have here.

Johannes Soetandi August 18th, 2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susanto Widjaja (Post 1560246)
hey what do you think of that me15 mic? any video sample?

If you check out one of my videos in vimeo http://vimeo.com/12111892 the interviews are using ME-15 clipped on the male near the collar in slightly windy conditions.. it was directly plugged into my 7D with a 1.5m cable extension. Picked up audio from both person very well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susanto Widjaja (Post 1560246)
I'm surprised to see more unhappy customers of GS as I was reading a lot of happy ones before I bought them...

Yeah, if only Ive read these negative reviews before I actually bought it...

Susanto Widjaja August 18th, 2010 07:56 PM

and it also has 6meter cable.... hmmmm what the heck??? same design overall...

i guess its up to the olympus me-15 now... I need to get a new mic soon....

Susanto Widjaja August 18th, 2010 07:59 PM

johannes: sounds a bit trebbleish.... did you put your audio gain on auto? it sounds almost peaking out