Mixing dif types of footage/cams at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 19th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mixing dif types of footage/cams

I am shooting a live band with 4 cams... They are my newest a canon 60d, a sony fx1, a canon hv30 and for a above drummer perspective shot my lil flip ultra hd. So I know that this is not and ideal setup!! But this is what I have to work with. So any suggestions on workflow are appreciated! First do i shoot the hv30 and 60d in 108030p? Along with the sony fx1 being 108060i(what about the cinemaframe30??) and the FLIP being 720p30. So if I did this the fx1 would have to be turned into 1080p prores(i am going to be transcoding it all to prores) What do you think about the Flip being transcoded to 1080p30? It is supposed to be an "on-board, perspective" type shot, so i can live with a quality hit! But my other workflow could be shoot the fx1 and hv30 in there native 60i and transcode the 60d and flip footage to 1080i prores? Then would i deinterlace the final output for the web?? Please help!! So many choices!!! Thank you!
David McCann
David McCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Major Player

The Flip I don't think is going to upscale to 1080 worth a darn. I would shoot as much in P as possible, and in 720 as much as possible, and convert what can't be, to 720P and run from there. A band gig is always less than optimum for lighting etc, so don't worry about the 1080 that much, the conditions will have you taking a hit on quality as it is. Your goal will be the editing to make it fast paced and enjoyable to watch. The audience for these aren't videophiles. Just keep 'em occupied and give 'em good audio and they are happy campers !!!
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 02:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply!! I ended up shooting the Canon 60d at 1080p30, the HV30 at 1080P30 and the FX1 at 1080i60. I wasn't confident in the CF30 mode on the FX1 and felt more comfortable transcoding in post. So you think I should work in 720? Would I just knock em down to 720p30 Prores? I was gonna deinterlace and transcode the FX1 to 1080p30 and hope for the best. Maybe Il try both... From what I was reading, deinterlacing the FX1 footage will result in lost resolution, so going down to 720 seems like a better output than 1080...
David McCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 02:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Oh yeah, the FLIP didnt work out as good as I had hoped so I may only use a little bit of that footage.
David McCann is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques