Anybody going to try the AF100?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 8th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I picked up the af100 for wedding use. Some of the features on this cam are simply a must for myself, as I skipped the DLR phase. The af100 has proper xlr audio inputs, waveform monitor which is awesome for exposure, 2 zebras, ND filter wheel, 12hr record time, focus assist in Red (awesome!!). These are among just a few basic things that make this cam a real dream to work with. You can really rig this thing up the way you want too. Top handle and side grip are both removable and have built in shoe mounts under both.
Josh Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 02:36 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Simons View Post
I like the small camera where the guests don't even know there is a videographer...
That would kill my business. I pickup lots of wedding and other work purely because I am clearly a videographer... Don't people stop and smile at you when you are shooting DSLR?
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 05:28 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi John

Mine too! People expect the official videographer to have a professional looking camera and shoot a wedding with a little GH1 or 7D just doesn't cut it for me. An AF would be slightly better but still doesn't gain as much respect as a decent shoulder-mount camera...besides I have tried shooting with small cameras and you just don't get the stability unless you stick in on a huge rig that costs as much as the camera.

I'll stay with my shoulder mounts which I can grab instantly and shoot stable shots when something happens!!!

Locally the AF100 is around the $4.5K mark.. adding a few lenses would bring it up to what capital cost I wonder???? I really cannot see any point in running a business where your equipment takes such a huge chunk of your profit just for the sake of "having the best" which the bride can seldom see or appreciate!!

Even in the old days when I was shooting on MD10000's in 4:3 brides used to say..wow what a great video and those cams were a little over $1000. If I had shot the same wedding on camera systems costing $10,000 would the bride have appreciated it any more???

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 06:45 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
That would kill my business. I pickup lots of wedding and other work purely because I am clearly a videographer... Don't people stop and smile at you when you are shooting DSLR?
The DSLR has improved my business immensely. Some people do stop and smile when I shoot with a DSLR. Don't people shy away from that big bright light on your shoulder mounted camera? With a DSLR, no need for a big bright light.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 06:52 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi John

Mine too! People expect the official videographer to have a professional looking camera and shoot a wedding with a little GH1 or 7D just doesn't cut it for me. An AF would be slightly better but still doesn't gain as much respect as a decent shoulder-mount camera...besides I have tried shooting with small cameras and you just don't get the stability unless you stick in on a huge rig that costs as much as the camera.

I'll stay with my shoulder mounts which I can grab instantly and shoot stable shots when something happens!!!

Chris
Chris, I find the opposite is true when it comes to the "look" of my 7D. Guests come up to me all the time and are amazed that I'm shooting HD video with this camera. I show them a clip of something I shot in the dark and they are blown away how good it looks. I hire freelancers that work for me and they shoot with the old shoulder mounted cameras. I'm having a tough time booking them weddings now because brides are comparing their work to mine and the quality isn't even close.
Old February 9th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #21
Major Player

I've had the AF100 since the end of December.

It's a great cam but unfortunately, I haven't fully maximized it. I use it with Canon lenses and a Kipon adapter. I'm still waiting for the Birger. Sadly, they delayed release.

Why did I get it?
I miss a proper handheld feel.
professional audio
form-factor

What I don't like:
missing record button on top of the handle.
Variable frame rate uses the SAME dial as shutter. VERY VERY dangerous. If VARIABLE framerate is on, you don't record audio. But you still hear sound from the headphones. Only when you playback do you realize there's no audio track. I found this out the hard way.
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Magbanua View Post
What I don't like:
missing record button on top of the handle.
Variable frame rate uses the SAME dial as shutter. VERY VERY dangerous. If VARIABLE framerate is on, you don't record audio. But you still hear sound from the headphones. Only when you playback do you realize there's no audio track. I found this out the hard way.
I would have thought that the placement of the record button would be better. Less chance of a double tap when hand held and easier to hit when on a tripod?

Wow. The headphones should be a cam ops measurement of what the camera is recording. The fact that it still outputs audio to HP's during varicam is kinda scary.

What do you primarily use the camera for?
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I have about $9,000 invested in my AF100, but I didn't have any glass to put on the cam as I didn't have a DSLR prior to this. I had e-mailed Michael and a few others that use DSLR's, and from what I've heard from them, was the look you get out of shooting with a large chip camera really makes a big difference, and helped book even more weddings. It was time for me to upgrade, not because I wanted the best equipment, but because I wanted my work to progress. The DSLR form factor didn't appeal to me so much, so I opted to go for the AF100. I still have a lot to learn, but no doubt my work for next years weddings will be a higher standard for me than the year before. It's all about progression in your work, and this seemed like a good next step for me.
Old February 10th, 2011, 06:53 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
I book weddings based on examples of my work online. The couples that hire me based on my look, have no clue what I'll be using for a camera, and quite frankly I don't think they care. If they see you put out good quality work, that's all they really care about in the end.
Old February 10th, 2011, 07:10 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Lajeunesse View Post
I would have thought that the placement of the record button would be better. Less chance of a double tap when hand held and easier to hit when on a tripod?

Wow. The headphones should be a cam ops measurement of what the camera is recording. The fact that it still outputs audio to HP's during varicam is kinda scary.

Main camera for the ceremony and reception.

Oh. The codec is much much lighter on the NLE.
Old February 11th, 2011, 05:37 AM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Lajeunesse View Post

seriously dude - you need to Google the name 'Magbanua' - this guy's a legend
Old February 11th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #27
Major Player

besides I have tried shooting with small cameras and you just don't get the stability unless you stick in on a huge rig that costs as much as the camera.

a good monopod is $280.
Old February 11th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Magbanua View Post
Main camera for the ceremony and reception.

Oh. The codec is much much lighter on the NLE.
Hello Jason
Is Jose Ortiz here!
I saw you mentioning about the Camera and my question is... How is working in comparison with the DSLR with the wedding photographers flash. Big improvement?

thanks Amigo
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #29
Major Player

Hello Jose!

It's still a CMOS sensor so there is still some skew and some issue with flashed. Definitely not as bad as the DSLR.

Here's a clip. Main cam for bridal march (front) is the AF -

I hope to use it more extensively when the proper adapters are available.
Old February 11th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #30
Major Player

Josh! What lenses do you use with the AF?
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques