DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Documentary Style (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/489250-documentary-style.html)

Geoffrey Chandler December 22nd, 2010 04:02 PM

Documentary Style

I hope this isn't a dumb question or request, but every sample I have looked at here on DVinfo has been "Cinema" style. I read some posts of videographers who shoot a documentary style and I'm curious what that looks like. Can anyone point me to a well done sample or two? Thank you very much!

Bill Grant December 22nd, 2010 09:56 PM

Hey Goeffrey,
Not a dumb question. Here's my answer. For my packages, I do a documentary and a cinematic. Cinematic is 12-20 mins, the Doc is usually about 40-50 mins long. That's just too much and too boring to show online. It's not boring to the couple mind you, it's just not conducive to showing online. I'd say that they're usually pretty self explanatory; mine are chronological and just everything that happened. That's it.
Bill

Geoffrey Chandler December 23rd, 2010 07:07 PM

I thought maybe videographers were out there mimicking a PBS documentary in their wedding videos.

Don Bloom December 23rd, 2010 07:33 PM

Doco style to me has always been very lineal in approach to both shooting and editing. While it may run longer or shorter the couple is getting a very straight view of the day. Very little is done to the footage. CC where needed, audio sweetening where needed, but no "cinematic" approach to any part of the project.
In th elast 3 years or so most of my clients want the doc style compared to my short form "cine"style. AAMOF I've pretty much stopped selling that. Which is finesince the doc style is a lot easier to edit.

Alec Moreno December 24th, 2010 12:46 AM

To clarify terms, we can't forget about the "new doc" style which I guess isn't exactly new anymore. I think we all have our own definitions of these styles though, so I'll throw in some of my personal impressions as food for thought.

CINEMATIC
Filmmaker's goal: to make the wedding look, sound, and feel more grand and elegant on film than it was in person via the use of a large variety of filmmaking techniques that together, create a film of high production value that would keep the interest of viewers who are strangers to the couple being wed

"You two are gonna be stars...larger than life!"

NEW DOC
Filmmaker's goal: to maintain high production value while simultaneously presenting the wedding with a raw/personal feel, making use of audio and visuals that would likely not be suitable for the cinematic style, and remaining open to take the story in a non-typical direction

"Go ahead. Throw out the rulebook and let your creativity flow."

DOCUMENTARY
Filmmaker's goal: to present the major events of the day in a fairly comprehensive manner, with the intent to preserve the day for future generations to witness

"Make it great...but please keep your personal voice to a minimum when telling our story."

Thoughts?

Alec Moreno
Wedding Art Films - Southern California - Los Angeles - Orange County - Video

Bill Grant December 24th, 2010 09:09 AM

Thanks Alec. That acutally means I'm trying to do New Doc style, not cinematic. So. There you go.
Bill

Michael Simons December 24th, 2010 09:34 AM

I don't really put a label on what I do..i guess I leave that up to other people. When I'm meeting with a bride, sometimes they do ask my "style" but I really never have an answer. lol

Claire Buckley December 24th, 2010 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alec Moreno (Post 1601501)
To clarify terms, we can't forget about the "new doc" style which I guess isn't exactly new anymore. I think we all have our own definitions of these styles though, so I'll throw in some of my personal impressions as food for thought.

CINEMATIC
Filmmaker's goal: to make the wedding look, sound, and feel more grand and elegant on film than it was in person via the use of a large variety of filmmaking techniques that together, create a film of high production value that would keep the interest of viewers who are strangers to the couple being wed

"You two are gonna be stars...larger than life!"

NEW DOC
Filmmaker's goal: to maintain high production value while simultaneously presenting the wedding with a raw/personal feel, making use of audio and visuals that would likely not be suitable for the cinematic style, and remaining open to take the story in a non-typical direction

"Go ahead. Throw out the rulebook and let your creativity flow."

DOCUMENTARY
Filmmaker's goal: to present the major events of the day in a fairly comprehensive manner, with the intent to preserve the day for future generations to witness

"Make it great...but please keep your personal voice to a minimum when telling our story."

Thoughts?

Alec Moreno
Wedding Art Films - Southern California - Los Angeles - Orange County - Video

Alec, absolutely brilliant interpretation - first class definitions.

Although is it possible to add in your Cinematic definition?

Often attempted using a Canon 5D and a bag full of favourite prime lenses (or glass as those of knowledge call it) in order to make sure the DOF is as shallow as possible. Also include a trusty well-oiled Slider rig for those revealing moments. Cinematic: Ideally suited to bride "princesses" who have planned their wedding since childhood.

Geoffrey Chandler December 25th, 2010 12:11 PM

"Filmmaker's goal: to maintain high production value while simultaneously presenting the wedding with a raw/personal feel, making use of audio and visuals that would likely not be suitable for the cinematic style, and remaining open to take the story in a non-typical direction

Go ahead. Throw out the rulebook and let your creativity flow."

This sounds interesting. I would sure like to see an example of this.

Geoff

Bill Grant December 26th, 2010 10:37 AM

Geoffrey,
Here's a sample of one that I just delivered. It is a smidge more "cinematic" I guess than normal but an example of what I am doing now... This plus the full chronological doc and a 1:53 trailer were what was delivered...