DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Zoom H1 positioning? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/489493-zoom-h1-positioning.html)

David Errington December 29th, 2010 10:18 PM

Zoom H1 positioning?

Hello everyone.
In a recent thread I asked about sound recording; I purchased a Zoom H1 today and will do some test runs shortly.

My question now is related to those who use H1 (or similar).
It has 2 mics at the top. Where have you found the best location for getting vow dialogue?

* Grooms top pocket with mics poking out the top? Somewhere else on his clothing?
* On the celebrant (same clothing as groom usually)? Female would be tricky :)
* on a tripod between groom and celebrant (to pick up bride's voice) but then visible.

The ideal would be to have TWO H1s but this luxury not available at present.

In terms of visibility, celebrant would be safer but not good for a minister.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Dave

Chris Harding December 29th, 2010 10:45 PM

Hi Dave

Add a lav mic and put it on the groom's lapel (the side closest to the bride) and then drop the recorder into his breast pocket. I wouldn't use the on-board mics if it's inside a pocket!!! and you certainly don't want the recorder showing in the footage either...it will be hard to have it just peeking out of a pocket as it won't stay put!! The officiant is normally close to the couple for the vows..I put a second mic on the lectern to capture readings and the gospel. Celebrants will often wear your mic or recorder but priests seem reluctant here!!!

Chris

Dave Partington December 30th, 2010 04:45 AM

+1 to Chris. I would use a lav mic if possible otherwise you are going to pick up a lot of room noise at the same time.

I have a similar problem coming up tomorrow where I know there will be three readings in a civil ceremony, no lectern (which is where I would normally place a mic), no specific place for them to stand and it's going to be crowded too.

I can't mic them all individually (I don't have enough spare wireless lavs) and there is nowhere to place a mic & stand without it being completely in-the-way through the rest of the ceremony.

I'm going to get room noise and I'll hate it :(

Roger Van Duyn December 30th, 2010 06:40 AM

Normally, when I put a lav on the groom, it also picks up pretty decent audio from the bride and officiant, since they are normally standing within a few feet of the groom. Of course, it's usually necessary to up the volume of the bride and officiant in post.

YMMV

Chris Harding December 30th, 2010 08:17 AM

Hi Dave

If it's any help at all, I have a lighting stand and what I do is clip a lav on a little flexible gooseneck and place it in a suitable place at the ceremony (the transmitter/VDR clips on near the bottom)

Being a lot less obtrusive than a big mic stand I ask NICELY if the people doing readings wouldn't mind standing next to the stand. The request is usually granted and you will get reasonable audio!! Thankfully I usually have a lectern with it's own mic so my normal procedure is to clip a lav at the end of the lectern mic and dump the transmitter on the lectern.

People with a handheld mic ALWAYS seem to want to pace back and forth so it's tough trying to get both vision and audio with them. Sometimes a full mic stand is the only answer (to keep them in one spot) and it also gives a static position for your lav mic!!! It might not look as pretty but the audio and vision will be good!!

Chris