DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Next purchase: Blackbird glidecam vs. Manfrotto 561BHDV Video Monopod (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/489985-next-purchase-blackbird-glidecam-vs-manfrotto-561bhdv-video-monopod.html)

Greg Fiske January 10th, 2011 02:16 PM

Next purchase: Blackbird glidecam vs. Manfrotto 561BHDV Video Monopod

Trying to figure out which would be a better investment of my money. Which do you get more use out of, monopod or steadycam? I'm guessing the steadycam has the advantage of being a fake slider? But I've read they are difficult to use and not used much. For a t2i and 5d mark II.

Chip Thome January 10th, 2011 03:47 PM

You honestly are comparing apples and oranges with these two.

I have the previous version, the 561B and love it, love it, looooooove itttttttttt !!! It is my weapon of choice that comes with me whenever I leave the house with a cam. What it is, is an easily movable substitution for a tripod. So if you are thinking for something that you can easily drag around and quickly give you support in tighter spots than a tripod would be suited to, this is it !!!

What it isn't going to do that well, if at all, is give you stability for a moving cam, as a steadicam would.

If you are thinking you want something that is going to give nice steady footage while you do a lap around the bride and groom, the 561 isn't it. If you are looking for something with great support as you run around a wedding ceremony or reception "like a chicken with it's head cut off", the 561 is the answer.

I don't think this really is a "this or that" decision, but it should be more of a "when and in which order to get one of each".

YMMV.

Greg Fiske January 10th, 2011 04:43 PM

Thanks. Yeah, that's exactly what it is, what to get first. Since I already have a video tripod, would that be a case for getting a steadycam? Just make due with the tripod for now?

Bill Vincent January 10th, 2011 06:12 PM

I did without a Steadicam for a year before I finally got one. I couldn't get by without my Monopod for one week.

Charles Papert January 10th, 2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Fiske (Post 1606204)
I'm guessing the steadycam has the advantage of being a fake slider?

I don't even know where to go with this.

Chip Thome January 10th, 2011 08:44 PM

You will get far more use out of the monopod, than the steadicam or a slider. The first reason is the floor is going to support the monopod, you are going to carry or wear the steadicam.

The steadicam is going to do things and give you possibilities a monopod never will. Think of it more as an "effects tool" compared to "mandatory cam support" for the monopod.

The slider, again, can't get what that does with either the monopod nor steadicam, but way cool if you can use the resulting footage. That I would say would be third in line, in what to acquire.

If you have two cams, you need support for two cams, and carrying around a steadicam, with a camera attached, all day is going to be a killer. So I would go for:

1. Monopod
2. Steadicam
3. Slider

And do it in that order.

Greg Fiske January 10th, 2011 10:57 PM

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the feedback.

Philip Howells January 10th, 2011 11:12 PM

Quote:

Trying to figure out which would be a better investment of my money. Which do you get more use out of, monopod or steadycam? I'm guessing the steadycam has the advantage of being a fake slider? But I've read they are difficult to use and not used much. For a t2i and 5d mark II.

Greg, I don't mean to sound harsh but it seems to me that what you need to invest isn't money but time - time making programmes, time developing your craft, time gaining practical experience with the gear you own already.

Once you've begun to get some real experience under your belt the options on which to spend your money will appear regularly and relentlessly.

Oh, and I wouldn't rush to buy a fake anything. When you do invest, buy the best you can afford.

Dave Blackhurst January 11th, 2011 12:57 AM

Quote:

Another vote for the 561B(hdv) - I've got both the smaller 560B and the 561B - handy as you'll ever find for a monopod, if a tad pricey.

Here's the thing, you can flip the little legs out and hook them into your belt loops for "extra support", like a steady stick, now you're easily mobile, but nearly as stable as a tripod. OR, use it as a monopod, it's pretty beefy and stable, those little feet and the fluid cartridge are surprisingly effective, plus the 561 will get you camera way up in the air, even when on the ground - great for shooting over obstacles. You can probably fake crane shots with practice.

I don't know whether it will work with your specific rig (more likely with the T2i than the 5D), but with a little practice, the 561 is heavy enough to act as a stabilizing counterbalance (i.e. a "stabilizer") - it WILL NOT match a real serious steadycam, but the price is a fraction, and if you practice the walk and how to hold/balance the thing, you can smooth out more "bounce" than you'd ever be able to do handheld...

I guess what I'm saying, is that one piece of equipment will be very versatile as opposed to a steadycam that may add production value to a small percentage of your shots.

Rochelle Morris January 11th, 2011 03:33 AM

Same - monopod over glidecam.
A glidecam can achieve shots obviously over a monopod, but a monopod can capture many more moments - good footage will rock like good audio is king

Art Varga January 11th, 2011 07:40 AM

I get so much use from my 561B. Aside from just getting overall solid shots its great for extending the camera in the air over the crowd for cool overheads. One thing you should know is that the legs on the 561 will not support the camera unattended like a tripod. I was using this for a long time shooting the vows from the aisle. If I set it up just right I could get it balanced so that I could remove my hands from the monopod ( but keep them cupped around the shaft just in case). This became a pain after a while so I switched to a small tripod for that shot. Otherwise it's an extremely useful tool to have.

Art

Randy Panado January 11th, 2011 09:26 AM

Monopod first for sure. In my humble opinion, it's the most important tool in terms of stabilization when shooting with DSLRs.

Susanto Widjaja January 15th, 2011 04:37 AM

dont get a monopod...

get two just in case :P

Joe Boland January 20th, 2011 04:19 PM

Monopod

Hi Guys,

This is simple one I hope,I have a monopod, manfrotto 682B But I need a head for it, I use a sony Z7 and there are so many heads out there could anyone please recomend a head that would suit cam and monnopod

Joe

Susanto Widjaja January 21st, 2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Boland (Post 1609638)
Hi Guys,

This is simple one I hope,I have a monopod, manfrotto 682B But I need a head for it, I use a sony Z7 and there are so many heads out there could anyone please recomend a head that would suit cam and monnopod

Joe

i'd recommend you use hdv 501 for it.