PluralEyes.... Worth the purchase? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 3rd, 2011, 08:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

PluralEyes.... Worth the purchase?

Hey everyone, I just tried out PluralEyes from Singular Software.
I found it (in my case) to work awesome. I had a 3 camera wedding shoot. 1 t2i, 1 nx5u, and 1 fx7. The program synced the audio up between the 3 cameras perfectly.
I'm not even sure how the software did this but.... there was a difference between the priest speaking and the speakers in the room by about .5 seconds. Somehow this program synced it all up, for a 30 minute ceremony, with out issue. When trying it all manually, I worked on that ******** forevvvvvvvvvver with lots of frustration and no real success.

Somthing I don't like about it is.....
1. When using Cs5 on my pc, you have to save it as a final cut project. okay... no big deal right..... well no you have to delete any timeline that has transitions (or delete the transitions), save it as a new project, then save the new project as a finalcut project, then open THAT into plural eyes.

So, to those who use it, Is it worth the $150?? If you haven't tried it, and do edit weddings/events with multicameras you can get a 30 day trial on their site (Singular Software - PluralEyes)

Thanks,
Nick Popa
Nick Popa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #2
Regular Crew

update: actually it didn't get it entirely right, as I edited through the timeline, it got off track about 3/4's of the way through. :-(
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I got it when they were promoting it for $100 bucks for PP users so I jumped on it!! I love this program! I use it every time for weddings. I always have 3 cameras rolling for important parts of the day like the ceremony, first dance, cake cutting, toast etc. and being able to just throw them all on timeline and letting PluralEyes do the syncing is a major time saver. I do hate that PluralEyes creates a whole new folder after you reimport the project back into PP cuz it takes up bin space and I have O.C.D!!
Kelly Huffaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #4
Major Player

I not only think it's worth it... It's one of the few applications/plugins I own that I think was worth more than I paid for it. :)
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #5
Major Player

Count me in as one who thinks plural eyes is probably the best bang for the buck of any software out there. It has NEVER failed to work for us. Sometimes when the audio level is vastly different between sources we have to use the "try harder" button which takes a little longer but so far it has worked 100% of the time.

Most recently a local band gave us two hours forty five minutes of concert footage shot with a little consumer high def camera with audio from the worthless camera mic and the from the back of a noisy nightclub.

They then gave us an SD card with sound recorded directly from their sound board and wanted us to sync it up with the camera footage and make a DVD with each of the 42 songs being it's own chapter.

Plural eyes synced up the sound in a few minutes even though the camera audio had the audience ambience as loud or louder than the music. Amazing! Not only that but it stayed synced for the entire almost three hours of footage.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 07:09 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm simply going to post "Yes"
Old February 5th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Absolutely vital! Love it, love it, love it!
Mary Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #8
Tourist

Definitely!

Without a doubt, I feel that the program/plug-in is worth every penny! I wish I had found out about it sooner, which would have saved me valuable time for syncing sound for previous weddings I've worked on, with a three camera setup. Not only is it valuable in editing weddings, it recently came in handy when editing a music video. Just had to lay out the audio files and let it do all the work. Glad that I came across it sooner than later.
Old February 6th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Popa View Post
update: actually it didn't get it entirely right, as I edited through the timeline, it got off track about 3/4's of the way through. :-(
That's because the tracks were recorded on devices on which the clock rates aren't exactly the same. The result is that they drift out of sync over a period of time. A little trick you can use is to cut the tracks at logical points every few minutes. This allows PluralEyes to sync everything properly.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 08:25 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Jim, I'll give that a try
Old February 8th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Here's a review I did on Plural Eyes that just appeared this month.

Microfilmmaker Magazine - Reviews - Software Review: pluraleyes
Jeremy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #12
Regular Crew

My ten character message is YES
Jimmy Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #13
Regular Crew

yes, every penny.
Man Yip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #14
Major Player

I will have to say yes due to the alternative of sitting down and syncing the footage manually everytime you had to restart a camera. Although it depends on what and how you shoot. If you shoot with one camera, single system sound then it doesn't make any sense to purchase it, but if you shoot with multiple cameras, a audio recorder, and at least one of those cameras is a dslr where you can not record for longer than 12 minutes at a time.. then plural eyes is the only real option. Unless of course you enjoy manually matching clips over hours instead of having it do it for you over minutes while you eat dinner or watch your favorite show.
Old May 9th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #15
New Boot

Re: PluralEyes.... Worth the purchase?

I have installed the trial version of plural eyes but do not see and extensions tab under my tools menu.....what am I missing?
Daniel Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques