DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   When is your busy season for wedding videography? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/491965-when-your-busy-season-wedding-videography.html)

Kelly Huffaker February 18th, 2011 11:46 PM

When is your busy season for wedding videography?

Well I guess I cant get much more specific than what the title states......i would like to know when is your busiest 3-4 months out of the year when you rack in the most business and which state your business is in. Thanks ya'll

Steve Bleasdale February 19th, 2011 03:09 AM

Hi Kelly im starting April, may June, july free some dates, august some free, sep, oct nov fully booked, it used to be may june july but i think the reception places are charging to much for the main season months so people are getting wise up and now booking out of season to get the venue cheaper!!! steve /england

Don Bloom February 19th, 2011 06:56 AM

For me it's always been April thru October as the busiest months. In the last 8 to 10 years the BUSIEST month has slowly moved from May, June, July (each month has always been really busy) to now the busiest month has turned out to be October. I guess more people like the fall colors. ;-)

Joel Peregrine February 19th, 2011 11:33 AM

Hi Don,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 1619738)
...now the busiest month has turned out to be October. I guess more people like the fall colors. ;-)

...I think its might be because for the past 10 years here in the midwest every Saturday in July and August has been 90 degrees with 80% humidity...

Michael Simons February 19th, 2011 12:16 PM

The summer months will always be good because of all the teacher brides. No school from the end of June to mid August.

John Knight February 19th, 2011 01:10 PM

New Zealand (Summer) - November to February, doing 11 weddings this month and it's killing me! Already have 4 bookings for Feb 2013!

Don Bloom February 19th, 2011 03:07 PM

Joel,
Yeah I fully agree. I'm sure you've done the outdoor ceremonies in mid July when it's 104 with 90% humidity and then the thing runs late. Oh yeah, no shade and it's 2PM so everyone is sweatin' like a washcloth. Gotta love it NOT.
I've also done some informal surveys with some brides and grooms asking why they choose Oct/Nov for their wedding. Some said more time to save money, some said they liked the season, some said the weather but regardless of the reasons October and November (especially OCtober) over the last 10 years has just really become the busiest month of my calendar.

Chris Harding February 19th, 2011 08:38 PM

Hi John

Dunno how you manage 11 weddings in one month!!! That would kill me totally!!! That's virtually a Friday, Saturday, Sunday scenario!!!

Over here in Perth December funnily is always the first to be booked out. I have already been turning away brides for December 2011 as it's fully booked. Traditionally June and July here are quiet as it's a wet months and it's Winter too!! However some Winter months I still get bookings regardless!!

Chris

John Knight February 19th, 2011 11:45 PM

Hi Chris,

Yeah - every Friday & Saturday making 8 (don't seem to get Sunday's anymore). Then 3 contract jobs (asian tourists) during the week. I shoot for 4 south island 'destination wedding' companies. The jobs are usually very small (up to 10 guests + couple) and no reception - but usually in weird destinations requiring an overnight stay (up top of Mt Cook via helicopter, or Queenstown, Lake Tekapo etc) Asian's always pick midweek days because the flight options from China / Hong Kong / Singapore are really good midweek apparently.

Of course - all this requires editing into the wee small hours and a well planned capture and battery recharge routine!

Lisa Maxwell February 22nd, 2011 03:58 PM

Re: When is your busy season for wedding videography?

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Knight (Post 1619847)
New Zealand (Summer) - November to February, doing 11 weddings this month and it's killing me! Already have 4 bookings for Feb 2013!

You sound like YOU ROCK! But that's a lot of weddings...whew! Sounds like you need to block out some time for yourself far away from cameras and weddings!

George Kilroy February 22nd, 2011 04:32 PM

John, just a side step from this tread, I hope that you're okay given the current disaster in your city. Kind of puts all this bickering over wedding videos in perspective.

John Knight February 23rd, 2011 01:32 AM

Hi George,

Yes - I'm ok. Was in the centre of town at friends place editing when the 6.3 earthquake hit.

House was ripped apart from the inside out. Completely destroyed - don't know how we made it out. Drove frantically to pickup kids from school, past people being pulled bleeding out of shops. Lots of nasty scenes. Our house out by airport area is undamaged. Current death toll confirmed around 75 with 300 people missing.

My family ok - but know several friends whose relatives have been killed. :(

Might not be posting for a little while.

View gallery here:
Photos - christchurch-earthquake - national | Stuff.co.nz

Chris Harding February 23rd, 2011 02:12 AM

Hi John

As "neighbours" I feel for all the people in Christchurch!! Just hope the fatalities stay down and everyone recovers fast!!

Hope all goes well with you and your family...at least your house is OK!!!

Chris

Edgar Vasiluk February 23rd, 2011 12:28 PM

Last year april-may-june and september was fully booked. December-January-0 bookings...(

Wedding Videos London | Wedding Videos Essex | Wedding Videos Surrey from YouMyWorld Productions

Noel Lising February 23rd, 2011 01:57 PM

For some reason August is our busiest month, we double book on the weekends. In general, April- September. We are not exclusively shooting weddings so sometimes we get the Winter Birthday parties.