Help, I'm Drowning... In DSLR - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Closed Thread

Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:02 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Help, I'm Drowning... In DSLR

As someone posted fairly early on... prepare for the flack... possibly they had a similar experience from replies - I don't know - I didn't know this was a "hard-hat" area.

<emoticon of wearing hard hat>

@Dave - Sony PD150? No, I'm hacked off and trippin out because they've now brought out the PD170 - darn! Planning on doing multcam shoots using a few EMI 2001s I got cheap... Good to see someone's got some humour left... thanks Dave :)

To others, thanks for your comments... and those who searched the web ;)
Old February 23rd, 2011, 09:29 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Whether you use 'proper' video cameras or DSLRs they are only tools. Those who proudly boast that they use DSLRs exclusively are restricting themselves just as much as those who won't look at them. Personally I use both. When using DSLRs I love the lens choice, portability, the ability to use a shallow DOF for a cinematic look, being able to shoot great stills, low light capability & the possibility of shooting video in 'stealth mode' ( I do not trick out my DSLRs with rails, matte box, follow focus, loupe, monitor etc). When using a video camera I love the ergonomics, general ease of use, the great built in audio, the potential for unlimited recording time & the higher quality video that is quicker & easier to edit.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 09:34 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I've seen the future... If anyone's interested? Launching at NAB this year.

Edit: there was supposed to be a piccy attached to this. Oh well, no worries :)

Last edited by Claire Buckley; February 23rd, 2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: piccy attachment?
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:00 AM   #19
Trustee

it says 'help'
I'm sorry, what kind of help you're looking for?
Help you to understand why some people use DSLRs where other use camcorders?
Have you tried to shoot DSLR yourself? If not, you should try;
From my experience I can tell that it is an amazing tool and I am not planning to let them go in the near future, (i've seen the future too:)
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:14 AM   #20
Major Player

the future is .... 35mm camcorders where you can put lenses on the front.... if that excites you, then try this thing called a DSLR ;)
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:25 AM   #21
Major Player

I think what videographers like Claire forget is that we DSLR users once used video cameras ourselves. We know both sides of the fence where people like Claire have an opinion on something that they've never experienced.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:32 AM   #22
Trustee

My thoughts exactly. We've got "both" and use DSLRs for a reason. The video cameras are staying on the shelf more and more.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 12:14 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Claire, for the life of me I can't grasp what the purpose of your post was. It seems to be a bit of a rant against DSLRs or the people who use them, but the whole post is so ambiguous and scattered that I really don't know.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but it would probably help you if you made your opinion more clear in the future. What it sounds like to me is that you just don't like all of the attention that DSLRs (and the people who use them) are getting, and that you also don't understand the benefits of using DSLRs. News flash, it's not all about DOF. Image quality, low light ability, small form factor and more have all contributed to the massive shift in our industry. As someone else said, you can dislike new technology all you want, but it's not going to stop others from evolving and using it.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 02:08 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Claire, I'm just now leaping into the technical side of video. The more technical it gets, the less romantic it feels. At the end of the day, it is just that....it's romance. It's love. It's ideals. It's goals. It's dreams. It's cheezy lifetime movie moments. At the end of the day, that is what it's about. It's about the bride and the groom and the day. I am not able to argue dslr nor vid cam. It's too early in the game for me. But what I can offer you with assurance is what a bride wants. I can tell you with confidence, that she no more cares if you are using a dslr or a panasonic hmc150. In fact, she is truly more concerned about making it down the isle without losing it, or even as shallow as a broken nail at the last minute or a bobby pin sticking out of her head. There's a whole laundry list of stuff she is concerned about. Whether you are toting a big camera or a shoulder rig dslr won't mean a hill of beans to her.

Once the day is done and she is viewing your footage. She isn't looking for DOF. She's looking for the romance of it all. Did you capture the look on his face as the doors opened and she comes in? Did you get the tearful exchange and the love in mom's eyes at the rose ceremony? Did you get the teary eyes from dad as he twirls his little girl around? Did you get all of the gentle touches, the soft looks, the dances, the moments. If it makes her cry....it's a great video. If it makes her mother cry, it was worth the money. But I assure you, she cares nothing about what you capture her moment with, but rather that you captured it well.

It's easy to get wrapped up in the technical garb because that is what your experience has brought you. You've earned the right to have your opinions on the matter, but at the end of the day, it truly doesn't matter to your bride. If your comfort is big rig and that is what brings your art to your bride, so be it. But if someone else choses the warmth of dof to bring to the bride, I can assure you she will appreciate the softness and romantic feel that it brings.

Maybe I'm rambling, but I say, do what you do and what your experience has led you to greatness, but maybe ease up on the dslr/appropriateness in this forum. Watching Travis Cossels videos from a bride perspective....made ME cry!!! When the hubby glances down to catch the brides eyes....priceless. It's moments. It's all about the moments. The deep colors and warm dof just makes for warm fuzzies. And in my opinion....that is truly what it is about. Just sayin'.... Amanda
Old February 23rd, 2011, 05:49 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Hey Amanda

You hit the nail on the head!!! The bride couldn't care less what camera you use and what techniques you employ!! Just do me a DVD full of my special day, filled with emotion and I will be happy.

Not one single person this season has asked about my camera, make, model, format OR even if I have one or two!!!! They really don't care about the technical side.

BTW: Shot a wedding with the HMC80's on Saturday and they are great!!!!!

Chris
Old February 23rd, 2011, 05:52 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Duncan View Post
But I assure you, she cares nothing about what you capture her moment with, but rather that you captured it well.
You have learned well, young Jedi!
Old February 23rd, 2011, 05:58 PM   #27
Major Player

I second & third Amanda & Chris' comment. The Bride does not care what camera you use, I remember years ago, I worked with a photog who was shooting with a point and shoot at the park because her main camera broke down. Not once did I see the Bride complaining about the PS camera. At the end of the day as long as she has a nice album and a nice video of her day that is all that matters.

I am planning to buy a T2i for Bride prep shoot but will still continue using my Video camera for most parts of the day. It is a nice tool to have at your disposal.

my 2 cents
Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:19 PM   #28
Major Player

I don't agree. I give the Bride & Groom the option of either hiring me with my A1 or my 7D. When I show them sample videos from each, they ALWAYS choose the 7D. So in theory, they don't care about the camera but they care about what they are seeing on the TV. Oh, and I also charge a lot more for the 7D.

It seems all the non-DSLR users think that the bride doesn't care about what camera you use. However, if you actually gave the bride the option of a conventional video camera vs. dslr, you would find out that she really does care.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:28 PM   #29
Wrangler

I do have a question for you folks; given that there is a much better chance of blowing focus with a DSLR during a one-time only event, does that ever come up as an issue? i.e. where something critical was missed and the bride later complains about it being out of focus etc?
Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:41 PM   #30
Major Player

Michael, we all sell our products differently and as I have mentioned it is a nice tool to have. So let's not make this thread into a DSLR vs. Video Camera as I am sure there are pros & cons to each medium. You don't need to justify why you like DSLRs I am sure you do a great job nor do non-DSLR shooters need to justify theirs We all have different comfort levels in shooting and as I have mentioned the thought of shooting in 12 minute increments is too much for me to handle.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques