BTS Commentary: The Creation of a Modern Wedding Video - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 21st, 2011, 01:41 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: BTS Commentary: The Creation of a Modern Wedding Video

Quote: [Hubby is already freaked over how much I've spent so far.] (LOL)

Yeah it definitely adds up!

Good luck, post some work and send me a message directly if you want more assistance, we're available anytime!

-M
Old March 21st, 2011, 01:46 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Thank you very much! I will! Got two weddings booked in June. Wish I could get some more practice in a live wedding before then. If someone sees this, and knows someone in my area who's getting married before June...give me a shout. I can shoot a wedding for practice! But, they will have to take it as it is!
Lisa Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Michael,

I see your point about mixing the footage. I bought 2-60D's and will use the HV's for backup and maybe a wide shot or two, but plan on some heavy use of Color in post with it. I've been getting some practice with both, and what a nightmare!

I desperately want a camera aimed at the groom to get his reaction shot, so will use the HV40 on him, but will have one 60D following the bride in and then in aisle hopefully, and the other 60D in front to the side on her.

I'm so nervous I won't get it right! Especially since I have to rely on my man to help me! Yikes! I will have to have all settings right and trust he can get what I need. It's so hard trying to figure out who mans which camera.

This ain't for no sissies! This is my new motto.
Old May 5th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #19
Inner Circle

This is where attending the rehearsal is a good idea the first few times at least - you can take your camera, pretend to be the big time director and test framing and shot angles and such.

Plus you get a feel for what will happen (hopefully!), and when and where, so (hopefully again) you can be on YOUR "mark" at the same time the "talent" is!

Every wedding is somewhat different, but once you sort out the basics it's not too hard - walk through it in your head a couple times, and your positions will come to you, hopefully with flexibility at the venue so you can actually BE where you want to be.

You could always sketch it out on a napkin for hubby <wink>! If you've run through it in advance, it makes it easier than flying by the seat of the pants on the day... you'll be fine!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #20
Regular Crew

OH yes, will be attending the rehearsals for sure!

Speaking of flying by the seat of my pants, you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find women's slacks with POCKETS these days! Geez! I was out shopping yesterday for clothes (yet another "scope creep" in this whole videography business of ours) with lots of pockets but that's still dressy enough for a wedding, and it was quite difficult finding what I wanted. But lo and behold, The Gap came through for me. Shoes on the other hand, I wish I could just wear my Nike's. I bought some $70 supposedly comfortable all-day standing shoes, but they don't come anywhere near my beloved Nike's. Sigh.

OK, I digress. Sorry about that rant there!
Old May 5th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #21
Major Player

Great advice Dave!!
Old May 5th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Lisa -

Go with basic Black if you can, and if necessary get some sort of camera vest with lots of nooks and crannies.

Generally, no one is going to even look at how you're dressed, as long as you're in black (think Ninja videographer!), and not terribly under-dressed. For an outdoor "gig", you may need to adjust as black can cook you alive in direct sunlight, and quick... You have to be careful, as this is an athletic "activity", sometimes outdoors in higth temperatures, and you need to be comfortable to do the job and survive it!

And you might consider black walking shoes - they aren't dressy, but should suffice and keep your feet and knees from giving out halfway through the reception! ALSO, if you're doing outdoor shoots, you should make sure your shoes aren't slick - wet grass on a hill side can be a challenge!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques