Give me a Wedding Audio Rundown - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 17th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Give me a Wedding Audio Rundown

Turns out if I don't leave the battery in the H1, it last a good while.

On a side not, I just got two Giant Squid lavs today and they sound great with my H1. I'm just wondering if leaving the H1 on auto level is a good idea or not. It seems like the safe way to go since I would be screwed if I manually set the levels wrong!
Old March 17th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #17
Major Player

The problem is, auto introduces hiss if there is not a lot of sound. Might be ok for the reception, but might not be for the ceremony. Get some headphones, throw on a jacket and do some test. Set the limiter and it will drop the sound -6 if you have it turned up too much. Just remember to lock the recorder and to plan for enough time for the groom to wear it and deliver the speech.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Thome View Post
IMO running a $200 lav into a $100 H1 is really kind of a waste.
I really must disagree, yes the recorder is not something you would find at a recording studio, but my $200 Tram lav mic sounds WAY better than the other $50 mics I have when I record into my H1. Quality audio for wedding vows is essential, IMHO.
Jim Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Fiske View Post
The problem is, auto introduces hiss if there is not a lot of sound. Might be ok for the reception, but might not be for the ceremony. Get some headphones, throw on a jacket and do some test. Set the limiter and it will drop the sound -6 if you have it turned up too much. Just remember to lock the recorder and to plan for enough time for the groom to wear it and deliver the speech.
Ah that's true. Which is unfortunate because auto gain control would pick up the brides voice quite nicely.
Old March 18th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #20
Major Player

Jamie Pippin,
You are right, and I do find myself adjusting the brides levels in post to match the groom. But at least the quiet moments get recorded properly and you do the adjusting in post yourself.

Chip Thome,
From everything I've read, the preamps on all these recorders are about the same, its the mics that make the difference. But what I've read on this forum, a $20 gaint squid mic can hold up to the $200 mics. Way better becomes subjective?? Maybe the $200 mic is better suited for interviews? Maybe the gaint squid is quality enough for a wedding video? I mix ambient noise in my tracks and I don't know if the money is worth the difference for a pristine set of vows?
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques