DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Printers for wedding DVD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/494277-printers-wedding-dvd.html)

Johannes Soetandi April 7th, 2011 07:09 PM

Printers for wedding DVD

I've search at old history in the forum but most of the printer types that was recommended are now out of production. Would like to know what is the 'now' available printer would be recommended for printing to DVD?

I've been looking at:
Epson T50, TX710W, Artisan 725
Canon ip4700 and ip4850

Budget is around A$300 but the cheaper the better obviously. Any recommendations based on previous experiences with these printers? Or please recommend me other type you'd recommend.

Dror Levi April 7th, 2011 07:49 PM

Re: Printers for wedding DVD

I have the HP Photosmart C5550 All-in-One Printer and I have only good things to say about it.

Jim Snow April 7th, 2011 08:33 PM

I have an Epson Artisan 50. It does a great job printing discs but I can't print full sized DVD case inserts on 8.5" x 11" paper because it can't print close enough to the top and bottom margins. I would appreciate recommendations on printers that do.

Dave Partington April 8th, 2011 03:50 AM

Have you played with the settings? Almost all ink jet printers can print to the edge, you just need to find the right setting in the driver.

Nigel Barker April 8th, 2011 04:02 AM

We use the Epson Stylus Photo R800 for printing on DVDs. It uses Epson Ultrachrome pigment based inks so unlike the water based inks of cheaper inkjets the printing doesn't run if it gets damp. It's also a cracking photo printer.

Corey Graham April 8th, 2011 04:16 AM

I love the Epson Artisan 50. And with a clever hack, you can get it to print on the hub.

Chris Harding April 8th, 2011 04:45 AM

Hey John

I have been using 2 x Epson R290's for ages now!! $120.00 from PLE with cartridges!!
Never let me down yet and the Print CD software is great too!!

Uses 6 cartridges but the generics are hopeless for wedding DVD's and covers so I use
the genuine ones..a little pricey at $120 a set but they last for ages!!!

Chris

Michael Ung April 8th, 2011 05:37 AM

Using Canon IP4850 now and it prints really well on DVD especially for the price.

Jeremy White April 8th, 2011 01:53 PM

LOL, I'm printing discs as I read this! I use the Epson Artisan 50. It does a great job.

Rochelle Morris April 9th, 2011 04:08 AM

we also have the epson r800
it doesn't like generic inks - at least ours doesn't but we get good coverage of printing before we change cartridges

Nigel Barker April 9th, 2011 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rochelle Morris (Post 1637003)
we also have the epson r800
it doesn't like generic inks - at least ours doesn't but we get good coverage of printing before we change cartridges

We used to use cheapo generic inks but had a couple of scares when it looked like the irreplaceable print heads were clogged. Repeated flushing of the heads consuming several sets of cartridges eventually cleared the heads & it now works perfectly again. However we now only use genuine Epson ink & have no more problems. The Epson inks are supposed to last at least 30 years without fading (on paper at least).

It's interesting that the R800 has been on the market for over 7 years without an upgraded replacement model appearing which is testament to what a good printer it is.

Pete Cofrancesco April 9th, 2011 03:43 PM

I use the Epson Artisan 50 with a continuous ink system. It does a good job. Watershield DVD will look the best but cost more.

Kelly Huffaker April 9th, 2011 04:24 PM

I got that Artisan 50 as well. Where did you purchase your CONTINUOUS INK SYSTEM and how much better is it??

Pete Cofrancesco April 9th, 2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly Huffaker (Post 1637119)
I got that Artisan 50 as well. Where did you purchase your CONTINUOUS INK SYSTEM and how much better is it??

I got my CIS on ebay paired with a re-manufactured printer but there are many places on the net that sell just the CIS without the printer. CIS isn't really better, the prints looks the same as oem cartridges just cost a lot less. I enjoy the freedom to design whatever I want without having to worry about the ink. I often create DVDs filled with full color photos instead of mainly white with a few lines of text. In addition, with inkjet printers you need to run the head cleaner utility on a frequent basis which uses a lot of ink. Again with CIS this isn't an issue anymore.

Johannes Soetandi April 11th, 2011 03:05 AM

Unfortunately Artison 50 and many other recommended printers here are out of production. Epson R800 is a bit over my budget at the moment. :(

Canon IP4850 seems widely available though, would any other recommend this?

Kyle Root April 11th, 2011 06:39 AM

Epson's site doesn't actually say it's been discontinued... it just says "Out of Stock", and no replacement is listed.

Epson Artisan 50 Ink Jet Printer - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

I have been using the Epson Artisan 835 All In One, and it works amazingly well with excellent results on white discs.

Epson Artisan 835 All-in-One Printer - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

The 735 is about $50 cheaper and I'm sure does well too, just missing a few features, but nothing that should impact disc printing.

Epson Artisan 725 All-in-One Printer - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

Note: Staples sometimes (not sure if it's all the time) has a deal where you bring in your old printer, regardless of condition, and they give you an additional $50 off your printer. That's what I did earlier this year... traded in an ancient Canon Pixma and got an additional $50 off the 835.

Pete Cofrancesco April 11th, 2011 01:41 PM

If I had to guess the earthquake in Japan might have interrupted production. 725/825 are the same printer with a built in scanner.

Johannes Soetandi April 11th, 2011 07:57 PM

Epson Artisan 725 seems to be the go for me. Thanks for the suggestion! Reckon a CIS is necessary?

Corey Graham April 12th, 2011 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johannes Soetandi (Post 1637798)
Epson Artisan 725 seems to be the go for me. Thanks for the suggestion! Reckon a CIS is necessary?

Not necessary, but surely money-saving. As I'm sure you know, Epson inks are a bit pricey.

Michael Rivera April 21st, 2011 02:36 PM

Huge vote for the Epson Artisan 725 or 835!! I have the 710 which is basically the same just with a different front panel (mine has buttons and the 725 has "Touch" controls).

I've had the Continuous inking system for months now and I've printed hundreds of tri-fold, full color brochures. I'm just about to order more ink for it but I can guarantee if I were to use the typical ink cartridges from Epson I would have gone through at least 6 cartridges of "light cyan" at minimum. Our brochures have quite a bit of teal in them. The CIS system was about $80 and included 640 milliliters of ink. The same amount of ink from epson would have cost in the range of $800-1300. I wish I was kidding about these figures. A complete re-fill of this ink system will cost me $30 and it will include 720ml. That will probably last me another year or two of regular printing. Maybe less if I decide to print marketing materials again.

The artisan series also has a built in DVD/CD tray that pops out when you press a button as opposed to some other printers where you have to use an "Insert" tray. Sometimes you lose those or break those trays and have to order a replacement but that's not an issue with the Epson. You really can't beat the quality of this printer for the price and it's ability to print onto DVD's as well as utilize a great Continuous inking system. I'm trying to switch everyone I know over to this setup to save them money without sacrificing quality of the prints.

-Michael

Mark Ahrens April 21st, 2011 09:00 PM

I've been using the EpsonRX580 for a couple years . . . maybe 4 . . . time tends to get away from me.
The CIS system is fantastic! Everytime i had to order more ink i'd nearly blow a fuse . . . now, i order ink once a year if that. No concern of ink use!

I do hate that insert tray on the RX580, though . . . constantly hitting reset buttons and such.
Does the artisan tray work well? Maybe i'll upgrade and keep the second printer for double teaming volume printing.

Chris Harding April 23rd, 2011 03:00 AM

Hey Johannes

Let us know when you get an Artisan ....are you getting just the 725???? I do like the idea of a tray that works like my DVD burner ...push button operation.

I probably need a new printer now but I don't really need the scanner/copier...I think I would go for the 725 as it uses the same ink as my R290

Your comments after using it would be nice to hear...good or bad

Chris

Raji Ahmed April 24th, 2011 10:26 AM

I just bought the artisan 725 last week. Infact Office Depot had it on sale for $99. It prints quite nice on the water shield DVDs. And the push button operation makes it much easier than the manual trays of some models. Other than having to buy individual print cartridges which will prob cost more than the printer, this was a great buy for the price. Even if you don't need the scanner, you can print to cd using a picture, just place it on the scanner, and it can print that picture right onto the disc. Pretty neat.

Gregory Barringer April 26th, 2011 03:45 PM

I bought an Epson R280 for $39, free shipping on Black Friday from Epson. I get the same results as the R800.

Kelly Langerak April 28th, 2011 03:31 PM

The Artisan 50 with the CIS is THEE best way to go.

Here is the printer for sale. They have two of them:

CIS is only $50. New carts will run you $100 and they will last about 1/10th of the time.

Plus if it breaks on you just call up Epson and they will ship one to you brand new with no questions asked.

Johannes Soetandi April 28th, 2011 07:29 PM

Thanks Kelly. Just out of curiosity.. are these two printers the same? Artisan 50 and Stylus T50? Looks the same... It seems that Artisan 50 is not a model available in Australia

Epson - Epson Stylus Photo T50

Epson Artisan 50 Ink Jet Printer - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

I haven't buy anything yet actually.. still short of cash this month :S

Chris Harding April 28th, 2011 09:11 PM

Hi Johannes

Here we have the T50 and the Artisan 725 ... The T50 is a lot cheaper but I cannot find out if it has a pop out DVD tray!!! My R290 has great prints but it's a pain to align the tray each time..a push button option is great!!!

PLE Computers have the 725 for $208.00 (includes the full set of 82 cartridges which cost you $100 alone) I really don't need the scanner/copier as I have a scanner .... if you find out T50 details let me know..I know the printers are WAY cheaper!!!

Chris

Johannes Soetandi May 2nd, 2011 03:30 AM

Chris,

I found this on gumtree EPSON T50 PRINTER NEW & FULL WARRANTY WITH REFILLABLE CARTRIDGES - Computers & Software | Gumtree Rockingham brand new with warranty as well. From research I dont think it has the pop-out DVD tray.

But assuming that the T50 is the same as Artisan 50, now that I see this I might consider getting this one instead as I know the Artisan 50 have gotten lots of positive feedbacks. *fingers crossed*

Johannes

Chris Harding May 2nd, 2011 07:17 AM

Hey Johannes

I have yet to find any generic cartridges or ink that gives the same result as the 81 or 82 series!! I personally wouldn't try any refillables..the colour is awful!! I just bite the bullet and buy the hi-cap 81 value pack for $120 for 6 cartridges... we are talking photos here and the quality needs to be good!! If you find anything that matches the Claria inks let me know..I stick with the genuine ones.

I see the Artisan 725 on eBay at the moment for $185!!

Chris

Johannes Soetandi May 3rd, 2011 07:03 PM

My old printer has died on me two days ago and I need to deliver urgent DVD copy today. So I took the plunge and bought the Artisan 725 from PLE.

I am completely happy. The DVD tray works like a charm. It's not bulky and looks good in my room! Definitely worth a buy :)

I'm using a Verbatim printable DVD and got a very nice colour. Much better than I had expected! And the Verbatim has a texture, which felt nice. Although I regretted not paying attention to the inner diameter, which was too big. I'm definitely buying a TY DVD-R in the future.

Chris Harding May 3rd, 2011 11:56 PM

Thanks Johannes

That's nice to know!! My R290's are still going strong but with my volume of work they are printing DVD's daily!!! I figure the heads will be a bit worn by now and if I get a 725 I use the same cartridges too!!!

If you get strapped for cash for cartridges you can get genuine 82 sets of 6 on eBay for as low as $40 a set. There is nothing worse than printing the covers and your printer says low ink!! I always keep a standby set in the office!!!

Chris

Johannes Soetandi May 4th, 2011 01:49 AM

Thanks for the tips Chris. Exactly what happened with me 2 nights ago. My old printer (a Lexmark) didn't actually die, just out of ink.. but the replacement ink is half the price of the Artisan 725. So I can't be bothered buying a new ink.

Joshua Heater May 17th, 2011 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Rivera (Post 1641634)
Huge vote for the Epson Artisan 725 or 835!! I have the 710 which is basically the same just with a different front panel (mine has buttons and the 725 has "Touch" controls).

I've had the Continuous inking system for months now and I've printed hundreds of tri-fold, full color brochures. I'm just about to order more ink for it but I can guarantee if I were to use the typical ink cartridges from Epson I would have gone through at least 6 cartridges of "light cyan" at minimum. Our brochures have quite a bit of teal in them. The CIS system was about $80 and included 640 milliliters of ink. The same amount of ink from epson would have cost in the range of $800-1300. I wish I was kidding about these figures. A complete re-fill of this ink system will cost me $30 and it will include 720ml. That will probably last me another year or two of regular printing. Maybe less if I decide to print marketing materials again.

The artisan series also has a built in DVD/CD tray that pops out when you press a button as opposed to some other printers where you have to use an "Insert" tray. Sometimes you lose those or break those trays and have to order a replacement but that's not an issue with the Epson. You really can't beat the quality of this printer for the price and it's ability to print onto DVD's as well as utilize a great Continuous inking system. I'm trying to switch everyone I know over to this setup to save them money without sacrificing quality of the prints.

-Michael

Is there a particular CIS system to buy or is it straight from Epson.

Chris Harding May 26th, 2011 11:37 PM

Hi Johannes

My R290 started giving me uphill yesterday with the CD/DVD tray jumping out of place mabe 4 or 5 times before the tray would load so I went out and got a 725 as well.

Nice printers!!!! Love the pop out tray feature and gosh, the print speed for doing full colour DVD's is probably 5 times quicker than my R290....It used to take up to 2 minutes or more and the 725 spits out a perfect DVD in just over 30 seconds. I'm impressed...Took me a while to find the paper cassette though!!! I'm used to paper going in the back!!!!

Definately a good buy and the print quality is great too...I also get to use the same cartridges which is useful as I have a good local guy who does a 6 pack of the 82's for only $40.00!!!!

Chris

Taky Cheung May 27th, 2011 01:48 AM

I am also using Epson Artisan 50 + CISS ink + TY Watershield DVD. The outcome is stunning.