DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Production Insurance (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/495947-production-insurance.html)

Zhong Cheung May 16th, 2011 12:16 AM

Production Insurance

Hey guys,

We all have to protect ourselves when it comes to our business, and there is a lot to protect: our own gear, rental gear, perhaps your car, general liability in case a lightstand falls on someone or you cause the venue to burn down, copyright, sync rights, trademark, invasion of privacy protection, etc.

I've done a lot of research, but it really is overwhelming.

What I've found is necessary are three things:
1. Gear coverage (your own and rental) to protect you in case of loss wherever the equipment is - make sure to get replacement value, not current market value covered. In some cases, even your computer, software, and studio can be covered. Perhaps the best way to do this is a floater to your homeowners insurance, but what if you don't have homeowners insurance?

2. General liability, in case you hurt anyone at the wedding. Most venues will require this (but I'm not sure if they only require the bride/groom to have it, or require the videographers to supply it, or both).

3. Professional liability (errors and omissions) to cover you from copyright, sync rights, invasion of privacy (filming someone who didn't give you permission), trademark infringement, etc.

Then it gets more complicated with single event insurance, water insurance (if you are on a boat, etc.), or special stunts like fireworks are involved.

Anyone heard of DICE coverage? What are the ways you guys go about buying production insurance? People have mentioned joining various organizations such as WEVA, 4Ever, or others for a cost in order to have the chance to purchase supposedly cheaper insurance. What are your experiences?

Thanks!

Roger Van Duyn May 18th, 2011 07:37 AM

Re: Production Insurance

I have business liability insurance through my local insurance agent. I work out of my house, and my gear has coverage under my homeowners policy (though the same agent).

Errors and Omissions policies are sort of expensive. My agent gave me a quote, and advised me against purchasing a policy unless I land a really high end gig that requires it. Should that occur, he said add it to the bill (or factor it into the quote when bidding on the job).

Really, get a good insurance agent. Follow their advice. Get a good accountant and attorney too. Listen to them. I don't know it all. I really on trustworthy advisors.

You know, when it comes to Risk Management, insurance is only part of the picture. Read up on Risk Management.

Zhong Cheung May 19th, 2011 03:01 AM

Re: Production Insurance

My partner and I also work out of our house. I don't have homeowner's insurance (but may get it), so maybe adding a floater to that would help.

However, even without homeowner's insurance or floaters, I was able to get a quote from this agent:
10k personal equipment coverage (except for negligence or internal malfunction, but it does cover accidental drops or theft wherever the equipment is)
10k rental equipment coverage

For $94 each, so almost $200 total.

General liability for up to $1M single occurence/$2M total for year was something around $200, but it only applied to bodily harm. If I wanted to add property damage, it would be another $250 on top, bringing it to $450 or $650 including the video gear coverage.

Professional liability started around 2.2 or 2.5k a year - ridiculous price! He also suggested not to get it.

The biggest problem I saw though was the equipment coverage. No internal malfunction coverage? (even if we paid more, they wouldn't cover) I mean, isn't that the thing we're most scared about with our cameras? Also, it had a $500 deductible...so if someone stole one of my Lilliput monitors or a microphone or a Zoom H4N, it wouldn't be covered at all. Most of my gear except for my camera body and lenses are all under $500...doesn't that kind of defeat the point (other than a massive theft where everything in my Pelican case is stolen all at once)?