DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Bride complaints.. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/497250-bride-complaints.html)

Michael Simons June 16th, 2011 09:02 AM

Bride complaints..

Many brides tell me that they do not want a video because they were at their friends wedding and the videographer stood 2 feet away from the bride and groom during the vows/ring exchange, blocking everyone's view. Please, if that is you, stand further back. You are hurting our industry. Use your zoom/telephoto lens. Thanks!

Corey Graham June 16th, 2011 09:47 AM

Re: Bride complaints..

One of my selling points is my highly unobtrusive style. Brides really dig it.

Don Bloom June 16th, 2011 10:10 AM

I agree. IMO there is no reason to be that close and frankly in my area most churcues won't let you get up there. Even the photogs I work with can't get that close. That's why they have zooms on cameras. Back up, get out of the way, it's not about you...

Jawad Mir June 16th, 2011 10:26 AM

The video industry is changing but some people are still in the old game. Our marketing is simply Same Day Edits and being invisible on the shoot day. And there are people who love that stuff. There are those who are uneducated and just want to show off on the day of and get not such a great product.

Remember you don't have to show off your company or skills by the size of your equipment but your sheer talent

Philip Howells June 16th, 2011 10:32 AM

Exactly the same could and should be said of photographers who insist on walking backwards down the aisle during the recessional completely ruining the image for both the guests and for the video.

We now cite the recent Royal wedding as an example of the "ideal" - no means of media production in sight at all unless you count two miniature microphones on the corners of the officiants' robes. ie we're getting the clients to demand better performance from the photographers..

Steve Bleasdale June 16th, 2011 10:48 AM

+1... Phillip

Warren Kawamoto June 16th, 2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Simons (Post 1658880)
Many brides tell me that they do not want a video because they were at their friends wedding and the videographer stood 2 feet away from the bride and groom during the vows/ring exchange, blocking everyone's view.

I'm willing to bet these are DSLR shooters, not true video guys....am I right?

Bryan LaPointe June 16th, 2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto (Post 1658959)

Is that supposed to imply...that all DSLR shooters aren't professional?

What a ridiculous statement, lol.

Corey Graham June 16th, 2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto (Post 1658959)

Not necessarily . . . I've seen videographers will full-sized video cameras do the same thing.

Sean Nelson June 16th, 2011 03:45 PM

Thats a dumb statement, I am a video guy switching to dslr because of its amazing quality.

Chris Harding June 16th, 2011 06:45 PM

Hi Guys

No need to jump up in defence!! I'm sure that Warren MEANT that DSLR videographers have smaller and less obtrusive gear so they could get in closer. He didn't mean any disrespect to our DSLR users at all!!

I have big shoulder mounts so I can't get too close...like Philip my main concern has always been over enthusiastic photographers crawling around the couple like ants with the lens almost touching the rings at one wedding!!!

I think we need to be close enough to get decent shots without having dozens of people in the way when the guests stand up but also be as unobtrusive as we can!! During the vows I will often crouch down on the floor so I match the guests who are sitting and don't stick out like a sore thumb!!

Chris

Jawad Mir June 16th, 2011 07:46 PM

I think depending on amount of cinematographers you have it depends. We always discuss with photographers in advance and most are very accommodating while some aren't. It becomes a little easy when you have multiple sources of cameras and crew. I mean 2 or 3 or 4. That way if they do come in your way in one shot, you can cut away to another.

Just how we deal with things.

Jawad

Michael Simons June 16th, 2011 08:25 PM

hey Everyone. My point wasn't to include the photographers in this thread because brides will always hire a photographer. Many brides don't hire a videographer at all because they've been to weddings where the videographer is in the way. So if you are one of those videographers that stand 2 feet away, please back up. As for DSLR, i'm DSLR and i use 135 2.0 and a 70-200mm so there is no need for me to be 2 feet away. There are videographers with 18X zoom lenses that stand 2 feet away.

Warren Kawamoto June 16th, 2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1659042)
I'm sure that Warren MEANT that DSLR videographers have smaller and less obtrusive gear so they could get in closer. He didn't mean any disrespect to our DSLR users at all!!

Guys, I saw it with my own eyes last week. 3 videographers were shooting DSLRs for a wedding. 2 were cross shooting the bride and groom with 70-200s on tripods, the third was on a monopod in the aisle. Right before the vows began, the guy in the aisle went up to the front, and set himself up in the middle of everyone. It looked like he had a 16-35mm lens. Because he was shooting video, once he was set, he couldn't move. And because he was shooting wide, he had to go in close. The 2 still photographers were trying to work around him, frantically ducking left and right of him, trying to fight for a good angle. It was horrible. The main event was watching the photographers trying to get their shots rather than the couple saying their vows!

I'm not disrespecting DSLR users, as I'm one of them myself. (I use DSLR only for B roll and beauty shots) But the propensity for this kind of stuff to happen is much higher with DSLRs because it's easier to shoot wide because of less shake, and it looks cool and "fresh."

Johannes Soetandi June 16th, 2011 09:08 PM

Warren, I believe the propensity of this happening is more because of the uneducated vendors operating DSLR/video equipment.. not the DSLR itself.

With DSLR being cheaper and affordable, more people are jumping into the industry without much experience and only a couple L lenses. They focus more on the quality they get and did not consider the respect they need to give to other vendors, clients and audiences.

I personally have stopped getting that close angle for a ring shot (I put my hands up guilty in the first wedding I did, I was standing rather close). I realized that the closeup shot, although nice, it doesn't tell much of a story. I prefer more on getting the bride and groom expressions when putting in the ring, rather than the ring going in itself. So far, no couple have complained to me and none have requested me that detailed shot anyway.