DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Editing Sugestions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/49955-editing-sugestions.html)

Nate Schmidt August 24th, 2005 06:50 PM

Editing Sugestions

Hi!
I am new to wedding videography, I've helped shoot 2 weddings and then edited them with some direction from my boss. I am about to edit a third wedding which I did not shoot at all, and I'm doing this one more independently than the other two, so my question is how do you guys edit together your weddings (briefly :) for example I've never done a highlight of the whole day, I've done getting ready clips, a very condensed service, mostly just the vows, photoshoot clips and then all the speeches at the reception. I was hoping to try something different and was wondering what you all reccommend. TIA
Nate

Glen Elliott August 24th, 2005 08:06 PM

I usually don't think outside the box in regards to the way the event occur in my videos. They are very linear:
Bridal Prep,
Ceremony,
Photo Session,
Formal Entrances,
First Dance,
Blessing & Toasts,
Parents Dances,
Fast Dancing,
Bouquet & Garter,
Cake Cutting,
Highlight Vignette.

A lot of it is edited in realtime (multicam), with compression of time when applicable (during long hymns, shortening readings, etc). The pieces I edit in a vignette/montage format are the Bridal Prep, Photo Session following Recessional, Formal Dances, and Highlight Vignette.

Ken Hendrickson August 24th, 2005 09:51 PM

I'm still fairly new so I'm still finding out a formula that works for me, but for my last video, I did the Ceremony, introductions, father daughter, mother son ect dances, cake cutting, toats and tosses in real time. For the first dance, I did in real time, but had 'flash backs' to cake cutting, parts of the photosession, slow mo, glow and vintag film (which the MOB told me had them in tears) effects sprinkled in throughout.

For montages, I do like glen, prep, photosession, and highlights. I think this formula works well, but I might made a bit more tweaks next time around.

Pat Sherman September 14th, 2005 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
I usually don't think outside the box in regards to the way the event occur in my videos. They are very linear:
Bridal Prep,
Ceremony,
Photo Session,
Formal Entrances,
First Dance,
Blessing & Toasts,
Parents Dances,
Fast Dancing,
Bouquet & Garter,
Cake Cutting,
Highlight Vignette.

Don't forget in Nate's situation.
Bouquet & Garter,
Cake Cutting,
Highlight Vignette.
Special Feature:
Video of Nate banging head against desk because of the shot selections available. Screaming with hands towards the sky, "WHY? WHY? WHY DID HE MOVE THE CAMERA AT THAT POINT"

Just reflecting on editing other peoples footage.. I've been there and done that quite a few times..

Nate Schmidt September 15th, 2005 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Sherman
Don't forget in Nate's situation.
Video of Nate banging head against desk because of the shot selections available. Screaming with hands towards the sky, "WHY? WHY? WHY DID HE MOVE THE CAMERA AT THAT POINT"

Amen!!!
Fortunately my boss is trying to get out of weddings and do more corportate stuff and he's going to use his good reputation to help me find my own wedding clients that I can do on my own.
Thanks for the tips BTW