DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Newbie's Wedding Highlight - Would love feedback (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/499741-newbies-wedding-highlight-would-love-feedback.html)

Raji Ahmed August 18th, 2011 01:01 PM

Newbie's Wedding Highlight - Would love feedback

This is my second wedding overall that I filmed using a 5d and HMC150. Although I'm trying to get into the Indian wedding market because I'm more familiar with it, in the beginning, to get my foot into the door, I'll take any experience I can get. Here is a highlight video I put together for this wedding I shot a couple of weeks ago. I know I have a long way to go on shooting technique and putting a video together, but I will say that the bride, groom, and their entire family Loved this. So that makes me happy that I'm on the right track. And yes, I know i shouldn't be using this music...I need to find some royalty free music. Still working on all this one thing at at time.

Raji

Katie Fasel August 18th, 2011 05:28 PM

Re: Newbie's Wedding Highlight - Would love feedback

If the bride and her family loved it, that is what is most important.

From what I saw right away, the biggest thing to me would be steadier shots. I think your technique is good, you seemed to have a lot of creative shots, but shoot on a tripod or at the very least a monopod...I usually use a monopod for bridal prep, but try to use a tripod as much as possible for everything else, unless it's a quick run and gun gonna miss it if I don't take this thing in my hand and shoot [which obviously happens]...it just makes the whole film better with steady shots, and IMO truly professional-looking. And my tripod and monopod use the same quick release, so I can switch back and forth very easily.

And shooting with the 150 [which is what we use] definitely shoot in full manual. I didn't really notice too many things, but a couple things looked like auto focus might be hunting, and some exposure issues --I could be wrong! so please don't take offense!

That's just my two cents. I've only been doing this a couple years as a biz, and only shooting on the 150s starting this year, but I absolutely love them. I'm sure other more seasoned professionals might have better advice to give than me. But overall, I thought it was really nice,and like I said, the client liking it is the most important thing!

Raji Ahmed August 18th, 2011 08:13 PM

Thank you Katie and a special hello to a fellow Michigander. I appreciate the feedback. The funny part is, i Was using a monopod the entire time. The shakiness is the operator's fault. Its something i need to work on. I agree , the hmc150 is awesome. Im so glad i decided to go tapeless. Once again Katie, thanks. I cant tell you how much I've learned from you and others on this website.

Raji

Johannes Soetandi August 18th, 2011 10:20 PM

Hey Raji. It's good that the family likes it. My feedbacks on this piece:

1. I think you need to improve a lot on your story telling skill, the whole video has the feel of just a compilation of footages and it's hard to see any story in it. Even from the opening I'm already lost.. You need to try to make your opening shots as enticing as possible so people would want to watch the rest of it.

2. You need to improve on framing the shots. For example:
- opening shot of the bride 00:17 looking at the back of her head.. I didn't get why I need to see that.
- 03.01, the groom is hidden behind the wall.

3. I can see you through the mirror, eg on 00:56

4. As Katie pointed out, a lot of shakiness in the footages. Even if you did not shot it steady, you must at least try to tidy up at post. The one most distracting that I noticed is at 03:40. You could easily cut that out but you didn't. Don't be lazy, re-watch, re-analyze, re-edit.

5. Improve your use of monopod. I'm not sure if you're using the monopod incorrectly or you got a really bad monopod & head to work with. Most of us use the Manfrotto 561BHDV with fluid head and I would not recommend anything less of that.

6. What lens did you use for the flower shot at 00:10? The rack focus is so jumpy. I have used a Tamron 17-50 in the past and focus ring is not smooth when I set it to AF. Make sure when you rack focus, you do it well and the focus ring rotates smoothly.

7. Too many pull focus shot being used. This is a normal mistake made by people new with DSLR. They overused the dof capability and makes the shots distracting.

8. I think you over used the slow motion in this clip. It feels slow and with the shakiness it feels like a tremor hit the wedding.

That's my 2 cents, hope it helps. Wish you the best on your next wedding and don't stop learning. :)

Jeff Harper August 18th, 2011 10:56 PM

What we want to get from our cameras and what we end up with can be two very different things, Raji, as evidenced today with my own footage this evening as I edited a wedding I shot recently with all GH2s.

I absolutely cannot believe the mistakes I made, it all seemed great on the LCD! I learn how to operate my cameras when I'm sitting in front of my monitor as I work on the timeline of a project as I am doing now.

While you may have a few things to work out yet, I would most like to see you get your exposures nailed better. This is not as easy as we may wish it to be, and I know this very well from viewing my own work this evening.

If I may suggest, consider going out daily if possible and shooting anything you can (parks are often ideal) and then run home and review your footage immediately.

I would also suggest that you might consider abandoning moving shots entirely (temporarily) until you get the basics of getting the right exposures, and keeping your camera steady. Try shooting your shots as if you are taking a photograph. Set your exposure, frame your shot, record, stop. Move on to the next shot. You will end up obtaining a series of really nice, consistent clips that will blend nicely together.

Raji Ahmed August 20th, 2011 05:59 AM

These are great points. Thanks guys for the feedback. Yeah, i've got a lot to learn. I do love doing this, so i'm hoping to find some workshop or training to get hands on experience.