DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Headphone Ideas? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/500834-headphone-ideas.html)

Tyson Yoder September 18th, 2011 07:16 PM

Headphone Ideas?

Just wondering if you guys use Headphones to monitor your audio, if so which would be a good one to get?

Don Bloom September 18th, 2011 07:37 PM

Re: Headphone Ideas?

Always. I am never out from under the Sony 7506s I've been using for over 10 years. I did have to rpleace the ear pads recently (a common thing) but other than that they have served me well for weddings, seminars, talking heads and all other types of location sound monitoring. Also at receptions when the dancing starts and I've set my levels and am watching the bars in my LCD I can and do turn the headphones level down to zero. I can still see the bars and do bring the phones level up to check the sound but once it's set it's pretty well set and I'm protecting my ears at the same time but that's just me since I probably already have lost a % of my hearing anyway between loud music for many many years and older age. I want to try to keep what I got left.

Keith Dobie September 18th, 2011 08:00 PM

You can get aftermarket soft covers for the 7506s. Worth it. They stay comfortable even when using them all day. Google "headphone softie". Love my 7506s.
Tyson when you get your headphones, remember that you're wanting them to do two things. Monitor the audio, but also block out external noise so you can clearly hear your audio. For that you want an over-the-ear type of headphone. Sometimes though out in the field you might just want a lightweight earbud or an on-the-ear style headphone (check out the Sennheiser PX-100)

Chris Harding September 18th, 2011 08:41 PM

I'm a bit cheaper and use a set of Yoga CDS 680's ...reason?? Gosh they are the most comfortable I have worn in a long time (us old guys are a lot fussier about comfort as our bodies are more battered .. right Don??)

However mine are still good quality and I must also stress the importance of having the softie wrap over your complete ear otherwise ambient sound will give you a false result of what the camera is hearing!

I never use a single phone or buds as I can't see the point..the idea is to check sound quality ..you can easily check the LCD/EVF to see if there is audio coming in.

The only time I use buds is for my intercom system between myself and my 2nd shooter...she wears them and I wear the mic so I can tell her where to go and what to shoot (just an old Azden VHF radio mic with modded earbuds in the receiver for her and the output cable disconnected)

Hmmm maybe I do need to try the Sony's since eveyone raves about them!!

Chris

Allan Black September 18th, 2011 08:46 PM

Guys .. here's a basic test with which you may get some idea of the current state of your hearing. I was involved with this years ago, they've revised it a couple of times but it's still only a guide. They've now added more muscial instrument links too.

Follow instructions very carefully and get professional help if you're concerned. Don't let your kids play with this unsupervised .. have fun.

Equal loudness contours and audiometry - Test your own hearing

Cheers.