Random questions in the form of a questionnaire - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 13th, 2011, 06:58 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Random questions in the form of a questionnaire

Out of interest what do you wear on your feet. I started with quite smart shoes to match the shirt and Tie. But found it was far too noisy and slippy for the church.
So now instead I wear a completely black pair of trainers which are so comfortable for wearing all day and I can move around the church without being heard.
The only downside is it slightly takes away from the smart look. But is hardly noticeable.
David Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 09:04 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Hi David

I found a pair of rubber soled shoes with black suede uppers that look smart enough for the event and keep me sure footed and quiet...(plus the comfort factor has to be considered when you are on your feet for 12 hours sometimes!!) Out trainers here are available in black but always seem to have extra "stripes" or decoration that takes them out of the smart class. I worked with a photog a fortnight ago and he wore jeans, a cotton shirt and bright orange canvas shoes!!! With our abundance of outdoor weddings we can often get away with smart casual but at our temperatures in Summer, wearing black does make you suffer a bit. On stedicam photoshoots I change my shirt and slip on a microfibre white polo which I normally have to wring out after 30 minutes, dry off, apply half a can of deodorant before going back to the black formal wear!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #18
New Boot

Lets do this!

1) How often do you film with a 2nd shooter?
Never

2) How many cameras do you use for the ceremony?

3) Do you only wear one outfit all day (I've often seen photographers wear casual clothes for pre-ceremony then change for the ceremony/reception)?
One outfit.

4) Do you film to memory cards, hard drives, tape based media, or other (primarily)?
Tape and HDD

5) For Canon DSLR users, do you use Magic Lantern?
NA

6) In your contract, do you stipulate how many hours you will stay?
Yes, our packages are time based.

7) Do you take your own photographs for the DVD menu screen and case, do you coordinate with the photographer, or do you use screen grabs from your footage?
Photographer.

8) Do you print your DVD inserts on a home printer, have a printing service print them? Side question: do you print directly on the DVD, or to a label that you press on the disc?
Printing service for the covers, label for DVD in the office.

9) Do you offer Blu-ray?
Nope.

10) What is your favorite software plug-in (or I guess what I mean is anything that doesn't come standard with your editing software suite)?
Magic Denoiser
Rodrigo de la Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 08:10 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Browser glitch created a half-completed double-post. Sorry!

Last edited by Doug Chambers; October 14th, 2011 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Partial Double Post
Doug Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I don't do nearly as many weddings as most on this forum, but here are my answers nonetheless.

Very rarely. No one around here wants to pay enough for me to do it.

Usually one, sometimes two (one manned, one unmanned).

3) Do you only wear one outfit all day (I've often seen photographers wear casual clothes for pre-ceremony then change for the ceremony/reception)?
Same outfit all day. No time to change!

4) Do you film to memory cards, hard drives, tape based media, or other (primarily)?
Still using Mini-DV with an XH-A1

N/A

Didn't at first, but I do now. However, I'm not very strict with my limit.

7) Do you take your own photographs for the DVD menu screen and case, do you coordinate with the photographer, or do you use screen grabs from your footage?
Usually HD screen grabs. Very rarely I will get a shot from the photographer for the front of the case.

8) Do you print your DVD inserts on a home printer, have a printing service print them? Side question: do you print directly on the DVD, or to a label that you press on the disc?
I get my inserts printed at a local print shop with a color copier. Looks much better than inkjet copies.
Labels are printed directly on the disc with an inkjet printer.

9) Do you offer Blu-ray?
Yes. Just started offering it, but no one has purchased it yet.

10) What is your favorite software plug-in (or I guess what I mean is anything that doesn't come standard with your editing software suite)?
Magic Bullet Looks
Doug Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 09:21 AM   #21
New Boot

1) Work as a 'one man band'
2) One camera
3) One outfit - suit and tie.
4) Shoot with a Sony Z5e onto tape and memory card at the same time (using MRC1K)
5) N/A
6) No. Times are discussed with couple before hand but nothing put in the contract.
7) Use screen grabs, one for DVD cover and main menu, one other for disc label.
8) Use a Canon Pixma IP4700 for dvd covers and printing directly onto disc.
9) Yes. I would say about 20% of customers take a blu-ray copy
10) Magic Bullet Looks. Really like the 'Unbloom' preset
David Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 10:29 AM   #22
Trustee

1) How often do you film with a 2nd shooter? - always shoot with 2nd and 3rd
2) How many cameras do you use for the ceremony? - three/four
3) Do you only wear one outfit all day? - I change for the reception
4) Do you film to memory cards, hard drives, tape based media, or other - SxS, SDHC and CF cards
5) For Canon DSLR users, do you use Magic Lantern? - No
6) In your contract, do you stipulate how many hours you will stay? - my prices are based on that
7) Do you take your own photographs for the DVD menu? - most of the time my own
8) Do you print your DVD inserts on a home printer, have a printing service print them? - use service
Side question: do you print directly on the DVD, or to a label that you press on the disc? - on DVD
9) Do you offer Blu-ray? - included n every package
10) What is your favorite software plug-in - don't use any, Vegas Pro has all i need
Old October 22nd, 2011, 10:59 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Never
Two, one static and one with operator (me)
Depends on type of wedding
DV for my Sony and SD card for my Pani.
N/A
No contracts and I am flexible.
It depends on the situation and my working relationship with the photographer.
Print my own on printable DVD media using an Epson R320. NEVER on labels.
9) Do you offer Blu-ray?
Not at this time. No requests yet.
Neat Video
Steve Loeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 01:25 AM   #24
Trustee

allways

3 Panasonic GH13's- I unmanned wide up the back

I take a spare shirt when it gets hot

SDHC cards, 8 for prep, 16 for ceremony, 32 for unmanned

lumix hacked
yes

screen grab

own printer - HP photosmart - straight on the disc
9) Do you offer Blu-ray?
yes, but there's no interest

mercalli & neat video

Steadicam
tried the arm & vest - a pain - I just use the glidecam now

Shoes
Birkenstock London black - I'm a birki fanatic
Old October 31st, 2011, 10:11 AM   #25
Major Player

Here's the results. Pretty insightful - thanks to everyone who participated!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wedding Video Poll Results (2).pdf (109.7 KB, 191 views)
Old November 1st, 2011, 05:59 PM   #26
Major Player

Sorry, one more thing - just wanted to give a big thanks to everyone who recommended mercalli. Great investment. Before trying out Mercalli, I unwittingly filmed a wedding Saturday that was a great candidate for the plug-in. I am a one man crew, so for the ceremony I had 3 cameras on tripods, and 1 on a monopod. I got some useable footage from the monopod, but I wasn't completely happy with my pan or close-up shots. Using mercalli did wonders! It can't be used effectively for every shot, but the "rock-solid" mode was simply amazing (assuming there was not a lot of subject movement or variation). Anyway, thanks again - I'll definitely put that in my "most used" toolbox alongside Looks, PluralEyes, and NeatVideo!
Old November 3rd, 2011, 09:30 AM   #27
Major Player

Bit of a late entry Michael, sorry.

1) How often do you film with a 2nd shooter? - Never, I always shoot alone.

2) How many cameras do you use for the ceremony? - One. I carry three cameras and will use them if/when practical: many churches here restrict cameras as do some registrars at civils

3) Do you only wear one outfit all day (I've often seen photographers wear casual clothes for pre-ceremony then change for the ceremony/reception)? - Dark suit and tie until after the speeches, then black shirt and trousers during the evening.

4) Do you film to memory cards, hard drives, tape based media, or other (primarily)? - All cards.

- NA

6) In your contract, do you stipulate how many hours you will stay? - No I offer a product not a service. I agree the coverage I'll capture but don't timetable it. I'm not one for clock-watching. Staying on an hour because it's not running to schedule is not big thing for me.

7) Do you take your own photographs for the DVD menu screen and case, do you coordinate with the photographer, or do you use screen grabs from your footage? - Always use my own.

8) Do you print your DVD inserts on a home printer, have a printing service print them? Side question: do you print directly on the DVD, or to a label that you press on the disc? - Print both covers and disc myself with Canon iP4600.

9) Do you offer Blu-ray? - I offer it but have never had anyone take it up.

10) What is your favorite software plug-in (or I guess what I mean is anything that doesn't come standard with your editing software suite)? - Neat Video and Mercalli.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #28
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
9) Do you offer Blu-ray?
1) Always - my wife and I always shoot together.

2) 3 - 5 depending on room and if you count a GoPro as a camera.

3) Yes - we dress formally but comfortably. It gets hot here.

4) SD Cards - who uses tape anymore?

5) We don't use Canons but if we did we would not use Magic Lantern.

6) Yes though we don't tend to enforce it.

7) We do not take our own photos. We have a different presentation method than DVD Cases/Inserts so it's not needed. For menus we use motion menus with clips instead of still frames.

8) We lightscribe our DVDs. The look is unique and matches our style. Blu-ray is printed since you cannot lightscribe them.

9) Yes and a web delivery format as well.

10) I'm torn between Neat Video and Magic Bullet Looks.
Stephen Daugherty is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques