DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Time lapse (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/502495-time-lapse.html)

Chris Bryan November 9th, 2011 07:33 AM

Time lapse

Hello,

I've just had a bride ask if I can do a time lapse for their video. The sample video they showed me was of a sunrise and also of some clouds whooshing past the Empire State Building. I understand how time lapses are created, what I'm wondering is if you all shoot them on the wedding day, or in advance of the actual wedding date? If its on the wedding date, do you film them yourself or does your second shooter do it? If by yourself how do you build in the time needed for the time lapse, and finally, how long do you leave the camera set up for the time lapse? Is it 5 minutes, 10 minutes?

I'm asking because depending on other's experiences I may need to push this bride to getting a two camera-man package.

Thanks!

John Stakes November 9th, 2011 07:52 AM

Re: Time lapse

I've only done it once, and I had a second shooter. Don't want to leave your gear unattended.

As far as when and how long I'm not sure. I think that really depends on the speed of the clip, how long it will last in the edit and if you want people in it.

JS

Jeff Brewer November 9th, 2011 08:07 AM

I usually shoot mine on the day of the wedding because all my packages are 2 shooters. However I have done a few prior to the wedding. As far as timing it varies. I have had some that took 10 mins, simply because the clouds/action in the frame was moving rather quick. Others, such as a sunrise take around 30 mins to an hour.

If you are interested in tracking the Sun, you definitely want to check out the iPhone and Android app. The Android one is called Sun Seeker, not sure the name of the iPhone one. This app allows you to view where the sun will be in hour increments. This way you can track it through the frame perfectly.

Timelapses can add a lot of value to a video, but definitely are difficult to master. Best of luck and hope that helps.

Warren Kawamoto November 9th, 2011 02:08 PM

I used to use my Sony EX1 for timelapse, but now I have an ordinary Sony camcorder devoted for timelapse. I put it on a gorilla tripod (the one with flexible legs,) and let it roll for 30 minutes, then in post, speed up the footage 3000%. If I need faster or slower motion, I adjust my timeline speed accordingly. Very easy and simple, and no need to tie up your main camera.

John Knight November 9th, 2011 02:34 PM

GoPro Official Website: The Worlds' Most Versatile Camera

Art Varga November 10th, 2011 10:21 AM

I did a sunrise timelapse for an SDE a few months ago. I chose to shoot it a couple of days before the wedding as I knew the day was going to be crazy enough. Plus, I didn't know if I would have the stamina to get up at 5:00am and stay sharp till midnight. By shooting it in advance I faced the risk that the weather might have been different on the wedding day which wouldn't match the time lapse. I lucked out as both days were sunny with a cloudless sky.

Art

Florin Sev November 10th, 2011 04:19 PM

Why not to buy from a stock footage agency?
If you choose to shot it yourself keep all your setting on manual and set exposure down because the sun have no such power in first minutes.
Like here: HD Video Time Lapse Stock Footage - Time Lapse of Sunrise, Sun Rise, Clear Sky

Oren Arieli November 10th, 2011 06:48 PM

I tell my clients that it requires a 2nd (and sometimes 3rd) cameraperson. It is also weather dependent, as you can't order clouds just for the big day in order to get your shot. I also agree that purchasing stock footage might be the better way to go. If you can't find stock from your chosen location, you might want to tackle it on your day off and when the weather is suitable. Otherwise, you can find someone who has already covered that location in timelapse.

Sean Seah November 19th, 2011 10:40 AM

I do it in advanced nowadays mainly due to weather and time constraints of the actual day

Greg Fiske November 19th, 2011 11:00 AM

If you want to do a sunset and get rid of any flicker, this helps:
How To Order

I have yet to do one, but like the others said, I'd either get a cheap camera and set it rolling video, or do it on another date and babysit the camera.

Dave Stewart November 28th, 2011 10:08 PM

Try faking it. Take a few minutes of footage of the area you have in mind, loop it if need be, rotoscope out the sky and add some stock footage of a cool sunset, add some lighting effects to the scene as if the sun were setting and voila.

Aaron Mayberry November 29th, 2011 11:43 PM

Fake it unless you got some downtime...last thing you want to do is tie down the camera and miss something!