Photographers hate video: the truth revealed ..... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 10th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #1
Major Player

Photographers hate video: the truth revealed .....

Not really but if you want few minutes of amusement have a look at this:

Photographers vs. Videographers Epic Battle: Episode IV - YouTube!

apologise if it's been posted before.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Photographers hate video: the truth revealed .....

I saw that through my firend's FB post. It was hilarious. To me I have the first hand experience how photographer intentionally block my view.

Old November 10th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Another good one:

Not to sideline the thread too far, but Taky makes a great point in the comments to his video on Vimeo that being professional also means respecting the audience's view of the event. My first post here was about exactly that point. You're recording a social event and you need to let the audience see what you're recording too. Until the day comes when all video and picture recording devices are the size of insects (goodbye bokeh <g>) and hover in the air, IMO anyone recording an event should practise "not being seen" as much as is practical (admittedly sometimes you just have no choice).
Alen Koebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kilroy View Post
Sure wish they'd upload it to Vimeo...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #5
Trustee

George,

That is far from what I expected it to be. Absolutely fantastic, thank you so much for sharing!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Good production but it could have been 3 minutes shorter. Cheers
Kawika Ohumukini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Watch the video again... funnier and funnier each time I watch. Then I noticed, the whole video is more about Photographers bullying Videographers. Even at the battlefield, there's a big crowd of photographers but only about 10 videographers. kaka
Old November 10th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Over here the South East Asian wedding couples that hire photographers seem to be the worst. They always seem to get two young students?? who are over-eager and have this absolute desire to shoot at least 3000 exposures each during a 15 minute ceremony and get as close to the couple as possible. I did a Vietamese wedding here last season where enventually the officiant had to say something to the two photogs who were completely disrupting the ceremony!!!

Maybe they just like lots of photos and as as close as possible??? You cannot fault them for enthusiasm you MUST admit!!!

Thanks Taky, that brought back memories!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #9
Major Player

Loved the part about "be nice to them, tell them you're not going to block their shot, and then block, block, block!"

I've been fortunate thus far to never have had an experience quite like the two vimeo videos posted, but lately I have been having family and friends of the B&G with iPhones stepping in the way. Two weeks ago it was an aunt during the processional/recessional that stood right in the aisle (the B&G had to walk around her!), and last week it was an uncle who got right in the front row and took photos the whole ceremony, and didn't even sit or kneel while he was doing it! I've noticed the officiates are more frequently now asking people before the ceremony begins to hold off their photography. In those two instances the B&G were very understanding, thankfully. Beware the amateur photographer!
Old November 11th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I have another one here. It's a 25th anniversary banquet. Photographers were their church friends.

You have to check the ending.. The couple were renewing the vows with the same officiant 25 years ago. The photographer walked up to the podium and close the folder where the officiant were reading from. That was just crazy.

Old November 11th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Also, I guess one way to separate amateur to professional photographers --- Gary Fong

:)
Old November 11th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Yeah, real photogs use Sto-Fen <wink>!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #13
Trustee

Its weird I have been doing video for close to 25 years now it used to be we were the obtrusive ones with our big cameras and bright lights. Now I think its the photographers it all changed when they went digital and they were no longer held back by film costs. Plus I think a level of professionalism and respect for the enviorment went out the window over the past 5 years.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Block, block, block
Old November 12th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #15
Inner Circle

A lot of what pisses videographers off, including many instances in the video posted by Alen, doesn't bother me at all. The photographer is part of the day, and how they handle their jobs varies from one to another, as we all know. The blonde photographer above didn't have a clue what she was doing, at least that's how it looked to me.

Taky's "Can you find the Photographers" is an different story. Those guys really need to be told a few things.

I am extreme, I'm either completely laid back, or if I feel I'm being f__ed with I will go off on anyone, and I have had to read the riot act to only two photographers. But when I was done with them they were afraid enough that they wouldn't come anywhere near me the rest of the day. And when I walked by them they backed away and walked the opposite direction. I'm a little guy, but I have a temper beyond a certain point.

When I meet a new photographer at a wedding, the first thing I tell them is I do not mind if they get in my shot, as long as they do not block the shot. I tell them I am documenting the day, and the are part of it. Virtually everyone goes out of their way to avoid being in my shot unnecessarily.

On the other hand, photography done right is a whole different animal than video, and I have a lot of sympathy for them. Newer, less experienced photogs often really don't have a clue what they are doing, and they are just trying to get a shot. Like the blonde in Alen's video, she was just oblivious.

Taky's photographers? I would ream then a new one. You stop whatever you are doing, and you walk up to them and you let 'em know, and you get in their face, and I mean you need to get in the physical space and let them have it. It's very effective. You do that once early on, and you've got a clear shot the rest of the night.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques