DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Vending at a wedding/bridal expo (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/504278-vending-wedding-bridal-expo.html)

Andrew Klokow January 11th, 2012 06:30 PM

Vending at a wedding/bridal expo

I know this has been a topic in the past, however i wanted to bring it up again to maybe get some new opinions on the subject matter from the past season. The reason i bring it up is i've had thoughts about doing it.. just not sure if its worth the money.

Have you been a vendor at an expo? Was it worth your time and money? What was your set up? Would you do it again? Any other advice dealing with this subject.

-Andrew

Raji Ahmed January 12th, 2012 12:10 PM

Re: Vending at a wedding/bridal expo

Would love to see feedback on this question. We're thinking of doing one as well.

Zhong Cheung January 12th, 2012 03:01 PM

I was told this was necessary. She told me that most brides won't even consider vendors they don't find directly from The Knot, Wedding Wire, or bridal shows they've attended. I'm not sure I believe this, so would definitely love to hear how other videographers are getting their main client base.

Jeff Harper January 12th, 2012 04:55 PM

Bridal shows' effectiveness depend on the quality of your presentation, period. Nice booth with killer sample playing can bring in prospects, and you need a great demo DVD or Bluray to hand out as well. Without these things, you are throwing money away and will come out looking worse.

None of these things are necessary, but if you starting out they will help, but if you don't do them right you are throwing money away.

If you are new, the Knot is a good way to get started, and can bring in a ton of qualified leads, but you need a nice website and samples on your site for it to work at all.

It's all in the execution, and having a target audience/price range and zeroing in on them.

For bridal shows you or your representative must be outgoing or at least able to converse freely with strangers, if you come off as awkward in person and do not mix well in social situations, I would avoid bridal shows at all costs, unless you have someone you can put out front to represent you in a better light.

Chris Harding January 12th, 2012 06:27 PM

Locally on this side of the pond, I have had nothing but 'sob stories' from wedding expos!! Over here you are not allowed to do any financial transactions at an expo..only hand out brochures and discuss weddings not actually book them!!

I had an associate who managed to get 20 leads from one expo and despite contacting the brides-to-be the next week, they all got cold feet afterwards!!! I certainly wouldn't bother with expos! You have not only the cost of the booth but also your time and effort after the expo period!!

Seriously I just have a website that has lots of samples, information and pricing and an ad in our local wedding directory. I found that if you can find a wedding directory site that ALSO has a discussion forum it helps a lot as you have direct contact and exposure to brides that are seeking info from other brides.

Chris

Corey Graham January 16th, 2012 05:46 AM

I just did a bridal show yesterday, and it went great. Bookings, meetings set up, the whole thing.

It's hard to say whether this will work for you. I did a lot of selling and a ton of talking -- you really have to be able to connect quickly with the bride. I was told by one of the brides that booked me that she decided to go with me over the other videographers there because I was so much more personable.

I did another bridal show last fall that was terrible. But it was completely different from the one I did yesterday. So a lot of it depends on your location, market, personality, quality, competition, and production of the bridal show itself.

So I am probably of no help at all :)

Jeff Harper January 16th, 2012 07:24 AM

Good point Corey. I forgot that about Bridal Shows, they are not all the same. I used to do them years ago, all of them, when I was in a different business. I did them mainly to get my name out.

But as your experience demonstrates, the question as to whether they work depends on several factors, not the least of which is your personality and the show itself. The smaller cheaper ones tend to be a waste of money as I remember them.

Congratulations on your success yesterday.

Corey Graham January 16th, 2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1709693)
The smaller cheaper ones tend to be a waste of money as I remember them.

Congratulations on your success yesterday.

Thanks Jeff!

You're right. The show I did yesterday cost three times as much as the previous one, but it was money well spent.

Buba Kastorski January 16th, 2012 09:31 AM

Bridal shows are mostly for your "brothers in arms", just to show that you're still around,
I never did a single show, i'm still doing 45-55 weddings a year, and my prices start at $3K.