DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   CISS printing solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/505088-ciss-printing-solutions.html)

Garrett Low February 7th, 2012 02:41 PM

CISS printing solutions

I've read that CISS require more maintenance to keep the nozzles clear? I've got an Epson R260 and an HP Officejet 7310. I'm considering setting one of them up with a CISS. I do dance/theatrical shows so I typically run a few hundred disc and insert prints every few months but I don't use the R260 everyday. Would that be a problem?

Also, did you have to modify your printer anyway to get the tubes into it?

Thanks for the info,

Garrett

Taky Cheung February 7th, 2012 02:59 PM

Re: CISS printing solutions

There're some maintenance... but very minimal. compared to the money saved, it totally worth it.

You just have to use your printer regularly. Don't put the tank physically above the printer. Have to be same level.

Get yourself some latex glove. =)

You will need to cut out something in the printer ink cartridges compartment to allow tubes coming out of the printer. It's hardly consider DIY... very easy to do. Your CISS supplier shall provide instructions.

Peter Riding February 7th, 2012 03:30 PM

I use the excellent RIHAC system as do many of my full time pro stills photography colleagues. Not for client prints I hasten to add because that type of ink can have poor longevity regardless of whether its Epson or 3rd party ink; you need pigment based inks for "proper" prints or just FTP the files to a lab as its probably cheaper anyway.

But for printing discs you can't beat it.

RIHAC Digital Solutions

You do have to make a few minor modifications to your printer but its well documented and the Support service is good.

You should consider the Epson Artisan range rather than the 260. They are far far faster at disc printing than earlier models. I have the Epson PX810FW. These also can act as fax machines and scanners. You wouldn't use one to scan negs or transparencies for clients but they work great as photocopiers etc. They can be wireless as well.

Pete

Chris Harding February 7th, 2012 06:37 PM

I also second the Artisan. I was running two R290's and they were quite slow printing a disk..we now have a 720 and a 730 and it spits out a full colour disk in around 30 seconds or less !!

Just be careful if you are using generic ink!! Test the CISS suppliers ink before you buy the system..I found that my Epson's had a huge problem with the formula used for the yellow cartridge and all my prints had a magenta cast...if you are using Epson inks (more specifically the Claria ink) then you don't have an issue!!

Chris

Garrett Low February 7th, 2012 08:21 PM

Thanks all,

It looks like a Artisan 730 is very reasonably priced. I honestly only got my R260 because is was dirt cheap. But considering how many discs I have to print it may be a good time to upgrade to a faster system. I've got a 7 to 1 disc duplicator and that has helped to speed up production so now the printing is the slowest step.

I'll look into various CISS too.

Thanks again,
Garrett

Taky Cheung February 7th, 2012 08:47 PM

I am using Artisan 50. Got it for $30 brand new at ebay =)

Taky Cheung February 7th, 2012 08:51 PM

Just emailed you the vendor I bought CISS from.

ALso make sure you go with Dye but not pigment based ink.

Jeff Brewer February 8th, 2012 04:59 PM

I am using the Ink Republic CISS and they make a system specific to each Epson Printer, so it works seamlessly. Here is the R260 system:

InkRepublic - R2880 CIS, 3880 CIS, 3800 CIS, R1900 CIS, R2400 CIS, R1800 CIS, R800 CIS, R280 CIS, 1400 CIS, C120 CIS

The ink is great quality and comes from the same manufacturer as Epson inks so the colors almost always match. I do have to tweak some files every now in then because they may not print as true as I would wish, but nothing too dramatic. The containers sit next to my printer and the tubes run in through the side. The kit includes a stopper to allow the lid to be lifted and a bar to mount the tubes with that sticks on with double sided tape included. It took me about 20 minutes to setup and has required little maintainence.

I do run a head cleaning every week or so, but only as a precautionary measure. Be sure to give the printer time to sit after installing the system so the heads will fill completely and then printing will be smooth. I have a feeling the Artisan 50 will die before the ink system fails.

Taky Cheung February 8th, 2012 05:25 PM

My last Epson Artisan 50 died from waste tank overflow. It refuses to operate. It was because I run the heading cleaning process regularly (or unnecessary). It costs so much to ship back to Epson to empty the waste tank. Then I found it ebay $30 a brand new one with local pickup. =)

I put together a list of things I use to make DVD and BluRay printing at home =)

Professional DVD and BluRay Production at Home | L.A. Color Blog

Jeff Brewer February 8th, 2012 07:21 PM

The kit I posted comes with a waste ink tank. Once it fills up just dump it and you are back in action.

Taky Cheung February 8th, 2012 07:22 PM

That's good to know! I will look into it for my next CISS purchase. Thanks for sharing

Garrett Low February 9th, 2012 11:04 AM

Thanks all, very good stuff. How fast can an Artisan printer complete a full page (8 1/2" x 11") color print? Almost the full page will be filled, basically the insert for the DVD Case.

Thanks again, and now I'm off to look for the best price on a new printer :-)

Garrett

Garrett Low February 10th, 2012 12:20 PM

Found an Artisan 730 cheap so picking that up.

Jeff, do you know if the place you recommended has a CISS for the 730? I looked an they didn't list it on their website but it was a bit confusing since I'm not really familiar with all of the Epson line of printers.

Taky, Thanks for the info on your supplier. I'll check it out too.

-Garrett

Jeff Brewer February 10th, 2012 08:20 PM

I am not seeing one specifically for the 730, but a lot of the printers have the same 6 color system and chipsets. Send them an email and see if any of their existing systems would work. They are great about responding to email.

Garrett Low February 10th, 2012 10:20 PM

Thanks Jeff,

Email sent asking about the availability.

Thanks,
Garrettt