DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Anyone edit in FCP X? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/506209-anyone-edit-fcp-x.html)

Joe Riggs March 19th, 2012 10:15 AM

Anyone edit in FCP X?

Hi,

I'm accustomed to editing with FCP 7 and was curious if anyone has edited weddings in FCP X? Are there any benefits to using FCP X (besides working with footage right away while it transcodes in the background)?

Johnnie Caraballo March 19th, 2012 01:36 PM

Re: Anyone edit in FCP X?

I love FCP X!!! It really has made me a better editor. Much faster to create Wedding Trailers. I always found FCP 7 to be confusing and the GUI outdated.
All of my wedding trailers were edited on FCP X

vimeo.com/postcreationstudios

Joe Riggs March 19th, 2012 01:48 PM

Hi Johnnie,

Feel free to elaborate on the ways in which it is faster for creating wedding highlights and what about for the full film?

Samuel Bell March 19th, 2012 10:24 PM

Just finished my first FCP X project (90 min Dance performances). I'm impressed with the new multi-cam sync via audio. I used to waste precious time making sure all cameras were in perfect sync. After the multicam update, I intended to just take a peak at FCPX. I ended up feeling good enough to finish. I guess my 0/5 stars I gave it originally will have to be changed. I'd give it 3.5/5, mainly just because I'm still trying to figure out the new layout. I don't like not knowing where everything is and the relearning curve. I've decided to do my simple editing in FCP X and learn as I go, and send my bat signal to FCP 7 when the need arises.

I bought FCP X when it first came out, today was the first time I had anything slightly positive to say about it. I think I'm going to end up liking it after all.

Steven Pustay March 21st, 2012 02:42 PM

I love FCP X. Faster for several reasons. You can begin evaluating and editing clips before ingest is complete. Assembling a rough cut is so fast. I mark in and out points on my clips, mark them as favorites, which puts them automatically into a smart collection of selected clips. Then open that smart collection, select all and then a tap of the 'E' key and my rough cut is built. The precision editor is a dream come true and multiclip editing couldn't be faster or easier.

Back with 7, I fell in love with plural eyes to help sync clips, but it is nowhere as accurate, or fast as the auto sync in FCP X. Further, being able to 'tweak' sync in the Angle Editor is easy and instictive.

Almost all effects run in real time and those that don't render in the background so they don't interfere in any way with my edit work.Titles, overlays and simple effects like "Ken Burns" have been completely reworked and allow precise modifications with little effort and better yet hardly any time.

And then the most basic tool of all the skimmer is a remarkably fast way to evaluate clips and their content. Nothing even close to its usefulness exists in 7. The hand wringing over X was to some degree justified, but it seems to me that too many editors have not moved past those initial impressions and have not recogized the 3 major updates (all free of any additional cost) to the product. I'm sold and even though 7 is still installed on machine, I've decided to adapt my edit paradigm as the new edit model that X has created is faster, more effcient and gives me more time to work on the creative side of my product. The part that hopefully will distinguish my work.

David Tripp March 22nd, 2012 07:15 AM

workflow for FCP X???

A quick question to people using FCP X.

What is you workflow, or more to the point what part's of the FCP Suite does it replace for a whole wedding project.

I am guessing that, there is no need for Colour any more. Although do you still use DVD studio pro.
What about Compressor for the file conversion from DSLR, is this still needed or can you work straight from the original file ok without a pro-res convert? Also do you use compressor still for piecing together the master file for the DVD build or is this all done from FCP X now.

Sorry if this is off topic, but just a few things I was curious about.

Thanks
Dave

David Schmaus March 23rd, 2012 08:49 AM

Could someone explain to me where and how it deals with actual files. My current way of doing things is creating sub directories ahead of time and I put the footage in those directories. Then when I am importing footage to CS5 I just import each directory and it creates the bin and the footage is stored in. When I am finished with that wedding I just drag the main directory to a external drive and I am good to go. My project and the final renders are all there. I tried X when it first came out and didn't like how old footage was kept. I think there is a way around it.

Thanks!