DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Slider recommendation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/506554-slider-recommendation.html)

Peter Rush April 1st, 2012 08:18 AM

Slider recommendation

Hi - I know this has been covered in a few threads but a lot of talk about sliders is around DSLR use and I'm using Sony Z1 cameras (my main cam has the Sony wide angle adapter which takes the weight of the camera to nearly 2.8kg

I work weddings alone and have shied away from sliders because of the time it takes to set them up, but am coming round to the idea that the occasional slider shot will add a little something to my shoots - so I'm looking for something that is relatively quick to set up yet (importantly) doesn't flex under the weight of the camera

any suggestions?

Cheers

Pete

Aaron Mayberry April 1st, 2012 09:22 AM

Re: Slider recommendation

You probably need something more mobile, try out the DP Slider Prime series

Prime Series - DP Slider

Peter Rush April 1st, 2012 09:48 AM

Yeah I looked at them but also Glidetrack HD - The DP slider is expensive when import tax is added (for UK) but the Glidetrack is £250

It's just that I've heard about some sliders flexing - something I could not do with

You guys on here use them so your info is way better than the marketing speak of the companies

Cheers

Pete

Oren Arieli April 1st, 2012 09:53 AM

Konova has made some improvements on their slider. I have an early version (1 meter long) that is built like a tank. A bit heavy...so you'll want a solid support (or two). I've used it the DSLRs, Canon XH-A1, and the Sony FS-100. For the money, it's hard to beat.

Flex is not an issue with this slider, but it will dip at the extremes depending on the tripod. Floor mounted, you'll get no flex at all.

Peter Rush April 1st, 2012 10:03 AM

I'm thinking a lot of the time it will be tripod mounted - I've seen some that use two tripods but that's too much setup for me - needs to be a quick set up - I'll check out the Konova though

Pete

Jordan Brindle April 1st, 2012 10:03 AM

I've heard great things about the Konova too, this is probably what i would be going for when i eventually take the plunge for use with my Sony V1 and/or 5DMk2.

Frank Glencairn April 1st, 2012 04:14 PM

I tried DIY, and several commercial sliders.
Since my rig is heavy I always run into problems.

I finally landed on this here and I´m pretty happy with it.

Peter Rush April 2nd, 2012 01:26 AM

Hmmm wonder how rigid that 40" Slyderdolly is on a single tripod - certainly looks solid enough

Still a lot pricier than the glidetrack - we get hammered in the UK with import tax

pete

Frank Glencairn April 2nd, 2012 02:50 AM

It´s available in Europe too.
I got mine here in Germany,

Digital Juice - SCHNITTPUNKT UG (haftungsbeschränkt)

And yeah, It´s pretty rigid.

Peter Rush April 2nd, 2012 03:09 AM

Still not available in the UK though - will be at least £100 more than the Glidetrack HD - I'm happy to pay if it does the Job but I've yet to hear anything negative about the Glidetrack HD

Any Glidetrack HD users care to share their experiences?

Pete

Asvaldur Kristjansson April 3rd, 2012 06:23 PM

I use Z1 with a 0,7 wideangle lens on a DP slider. By using Manfrotto quickrelease baseplate under the slider I am able to switch between tripod and slider in about 15 sec. I have a ballhead mounted on the slider for easy leveling the camera at any slider angle. By placeing the slider on the tripod and tilting down I can go from horizontal to vertical without doing anything else than bring the camera level with the ballhead.

Nigel Barker April 4th, 2012 02:54 AM

As you are balking at expensive imported sliders perhaps I had better not mention that the best is the Kessler Crane Philip Bloom Signature Pocket Dolly which sadly at over $1000 is also the most expensive. The regular Pocket Dolly is great too.

The Konova that I bought is heavy & the carriage is such crap that it disintegrated & now doesn't slide. It was too much hassle to send back to Korea.

If you want reliable judder free sliding then don't go for the original Glidetrack or any other slider based on the Igus track which just relies on friction bearings.

The Glidetrack HD Hybrid with the carriage running on proper bearings is very good but rather heavy. You cannot use it on one tripod without it tending to topple as you slide. If you do use one tripod you end up in incredible contortions as you try to secure the tripod with a foot &/or hand while sliding with the other hand. There is now a Glidetrack SD Hybrid that I haven't seen yet but is lighter & should be fine for a Z1.

Whichever slider you get don't be greedy & think that you need the longest available even it costs little or nothing extra. A 50-70cm track is quite sufficient & much easier to cart around.

Colin Rowe April 4th, 2012 05:50 AM

You can spend a small fortune on this kind of equipment, but I doubt very much that you will see a great deal of difference between a £100 Igus slider and something costing 6 or 8 times more. It is not something you are going to be using a great deal. I disagree with Nigel regarding anything Igus. I have been using a 26 inch Igus home built slider for over 2 years, it works perfectly. A quick spray of Pledge applied before each outing keeps it silky smooth. It cost £75, money very well spent. Of course you can spend an awful lot more, that is your individual choice. but I would never dismiss or purchase any piece of equipment until I had tested it thoroughly myself.