DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Wedding Short w/ GH2 and 12-35mm (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/509712-wedding-short-w-gh2-12-35mm.html)

Noa Put August 3rd, 2012 01:46 AM

Re: Wedding Short w/ GH2 and 12-35mm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Cantwell (Post 1746665)
Where i'm from you'd seldom get people pouring their hearts out in public, I guess irish people dont do that too well

Same issue in Belgium :) I often see really great videos here but most of them have one thing in common and that's meaningful speeches, as if they where scripted to be used in a movie, you often also see people speak during not formal moments like bridal prep as if no camera is there, that also gives you valuable moments to use recorded speech. If you have got that, then building a great demo on top of it is a lot easier.

Chris Harding August 3rd, 2012 05:27 AM

Hi Rob and Noa

Some weddings are tough and some are easy. Apart from speeches I also do a "video guestbook" during pre-dinner drinks and sometimes it's really tough to get people to say even congratulations on video. Then othertimes I have guests standing in a line wanting to say their piece and it all comes straight from the heart!! Every new wedding surprises me as I don't know whether the next guest I interview will be awarded "orator of the year" or getting everyone to be brave enough to actually say something will be like "pulling hens teeth"

I have had people at the lectern spout a load on nonsense and be shivering with nerves and next time you get an emotional outpour....with me plenty of Brides fathers will choke on emotion...must be tough for them but it makes awesome video for me!!

We get a very wide range of guests here and it makes life interesting!

Chris

Nigel Barker August 3rd, 2012 05:39 AM

The groom at the Nigerian/Caribbean wedding that we shot at the lovely Eltham Palace & Gardens, London - Wedding Venue Hire | English Heritage in London last weekend gave a wonderful speech. Totally off the cuff with no notes but fluent, funny, gracious with thanks to relatives & friends & full of great anecdotes. He is a plumber by trade & until he stood up to speak we thought that he was rather quiet & self effacing. We hadn't met him until the day as everything had been arranged by the bride so the speech was a very pleasant surprise & of course pure gold for the wedding video.

Jeff Harper August 3rd, 2012 06:34 AM

Gary, you are a master videographer, your work is inspirational. You are right, even F/2.0 is slow at times.

Chris Harding August 3rd, 2012 08:27 AM

Hi Nigel

My wedding back in June had a guy from Africa who had a wicked sense of humour and gave a delightful speech ... things like "When I arrived at Perth Airport the Customs officer with a delightfully posh British accent asked me "Do you have any drugs or contraband Sir?" ...I replied "Exactly what do you define as drugs?" ..3 hours later I left the airport !!

I'm sure the groom will watch it countless times!!

Chris