DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Corrupt File on a Zoom (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/513090-corrupt-file-zoom.html)

Katie Fasel January 2nd, 2013 03:22 PM

Corrupt File on a Zoom

I apologize if this should go somewhere else, but I'm familiar with the wedding board, and I know a lot of you here are familiar with the Zooms so I hope someone can help me out.

Just shot a wedding with a zoom on the piano , right in front of the pianist/vocalist, so I would really like to retrieve this file. I was previewing on my mac, right from the mini SD card, so there was audio, and right in the middle of previewing I had a massive kernel crash on the computer and had to restart. Now two of the files from my card are still recognized as mp3 files, but won't open in anything, and say "Zero kb" for file size.

We tried locating/recovering them with a rescue disk program but just wondering if anyone has good experience with a particular program that works, or has experienced a problem like this?

Just an FYI, one of the files was in the midst of a battery failure, so that one maybe caused a problem since it didn't close properly..however, we've been able to recover files when that happened before.

I have other audio sources, but this one in particular I wanted because it was right next to the vocalist, and would sound better than anything else we have.

Thanks, in advance for any help!

Travis Wilber January 3rd, 2013 02:34 PM

Re: Corrupt File on a Zoom

Really hard to do. Most important thing is have you already formatted the card that the files where on? Usually you need to use the original card to recover, so if you still have it just set it aside.

I did this method: Zoom Gear & Home Recording Forum • View topic - Ran out of Battery and found only a 0Kb file? There's hope

I actually ended up with recovered audio files from months back and never pushed further to recover the ones I needed cause it wasn't worth the trouble. However the fact that I came up with audio that had been formatted over many times is a bit of light in the tunnel.

Katie Fasel January 3rd, 2013 03:25 PM

Thanks Travis! We have not touched the card since this happened, so the file is still there. We'll give this a whirl, hopefully it works!

Thanks for your help.

Benoit Joossen January 17th, 2013 05:02 AM

Hi Katie,

Link in previous post will work if you want to recover Linear PCM audio, but not here, since you have recorded MP3.

Have you tried with Treasured? Last version is able to detect MP3 in a card with DeepMediaScan function (Disk > Open Damaged Disk...)

Treasured • Tool for Video Diagnostic and Repair
Corrupt audio file in MP3 format

-- Benoît

Bernard Lau January 18th, 2013 12:42 AM

OUCH! Feeling the pain.

Note to self: don't preview files off the card on a comp! Always copy first.