DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Well it happened... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/513602-well-happened.html)

Steven Davis January 18th, 2013 04:25 PM

Well it happened...

I have someone purchasing the raw footage. So, I'm trying to figure out what is the best output format to convert it to. I don't want them to get home and have their 4 year old laptop choke on the raw m2t files.

Any suggestions for an output format?

Allan Black January 18th, 2013 06:06 PM

Re: Well it happened...

Hi Steven, have you already delivered the finished DVDs and received full payment? Were they happy with the result?

Do you know why they want the raw footage? Is it just to watch 'everything' or make their own edits?
Maybe they have someone else editing it for them, so you could just dump it all on another hard drive.
If that's the case, I'd subtly ask them not to put *your* credit on it in case they stuff it up.

Whatever the outcome, most shooters go through and clean it all up, so you've got some work ahead of you there.
Hopefully they don't want to cut your invoice back. There should be another charge for this, I'd get full payment on delivery.

Cheers.

Steven Davis January 18th, 2013 07:14 PM

Thanks Allan,

I'm already paid, they just want it so they can watch everything, however, my final wedding project will be 3 plus hours. I charge for the raw footage as well. I'm going to deliver it all at once. I was just seeing if anyone has a recommended conversion that's generally friendly. :}

Chris Harding January 18th, 2013 08:38 PM

Hi Steven

For my convenience I send them just the raw camera files and a copy of VLC media player so they can watch it. That way they can see the raw footage but it will be tricky for them to try and edit it.

It also means less media to supply them compared to if you supplied it in an easier to play format.

Chris

Nate Haustein January 19th, 2013 12:42 AM

.mp4 file at 720p with H.264 that plays at 5000kbps.

I deliver a 'digital copy' on nearly every DVD I make and no complaints yet.

Kelly Langerak January 19th, 2013 05:59 PM

I second Nate, but the only issue is that the raw files are now compressed. If they ever want to upgrade to Blu-ray or have a special edit done down the road they won't have the Master File. When I sell raw footage to my couples I send them the raw clips in Pro Res and tell them they need Quicktime Pro and a newer computer to play them back.

I use to give them a compressed version and the raw but it was just too much work and time.

Chris Davis January 19th, 2013 07:40 PM

Have you asked the client? How is the final video being delivered?

If they simply want to watch all the footage you happened to capture, they're probably expecting something simple like a DVD.

I guess I would be tempted to tell the client that the "raw footage" is a series of m2t files. They can provide a portable hard drive and you'll copy them. If they want something more "user friendly", they'll have to pay for transcoding as well as the price of the footage.

Donald McPherson January 20th, 2013 06:00 AM

Just give them the raw footage as is. Then if it does not work charge them to convert it.