DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Small slider recommendation? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/514105-small-slider-recommendation.html)

Phil Gadd February 6th, 2013 03:37 AM

Small slider recommendation?

Hi Guys

I use a 'konova' slider to great effect but its about 4ft long.

Whilst I dont really do wedding videos, my girlfriend has decided to offer my services (free of charge btw) for her best friends wedding in marbella.

Im going to keep things simple i.e. take a manfrotto monopod, tm900 or ac-90 (when it arrives) and I would like to take a small slider (so it fits in the suitcase) as the wedding location is very scenic so would be a nice effect.

Can anybody suggest a small slider i can use without breaking the bank?

Thanks

Mike Beckett February 6th, 2013 04:21 AM

Re: Small slider recommendation?

Phil,

I saw this yesterday, it's interesting:

edelkrone SliderPlus Portable Camera Slider

Watch the video - it's an intriguing, very compact design.

Adrian Tan February 6th, 2013 05:04 PM

+1. That's basicallly the most compact slider on the market. The main catches are: (1) only half the distance if it's on the ground; (2) possibly more likely to see-saw if centre-mounted on tripod (but I haven't actually tested this myself).

If you're feeling brave, you could also use Cineskates + Gorillapod (CineSkates - Cinetics Store) or any number of skateboard dollies sold on eBay, etc. The problem with these is that they can be very prone to shake -- if you want a perfectly smooth slide, you really need a smooth surface.

Phil Gadd February 7th, 2013 05:34 AM

thanks guys

think i may also check out the small konova and other

Adrian Tan April 29th, 2013 10:03 PM

Recently got an Edelkrone slider (for ease of aircraft travel). Here's some notes:

-- for travel, I found it was the only thing that suited my particular needs -- my normal checked in and carry on luggage are already full to the weight limit with other gear. But airlines seem to allow you to carry one small laptop-sized bag in addition to normal carry on -- so I can stow a slider there.

-- it's beautifully compact; can stay permanently mounted to the tripod, without worrying too much about hitting guests. Felt less frightening to bridesmaids during makeup. Made groomsmen go, "That's cool."

-- the fact that the slider retracts (so it's meant to be easier to do pull ins and pull outs) -- I haven't really found this so useful so far. The fact is, while, with a normal slider, you're forced to do weird angles and tilts to avoid seeing the slider, maybe that actually contributes to the interest of the image.

-- the locking mechanism is annoying. Can only be locked when the head is in the centre of the tripod. Can't be locked in just any position.

-- doesn't seem more likely to see-saw than any other slider. Sort of depends on how securely it's mounted to the tripod, and the spread of the tripod legs. For instance, I've been trying to use it with a Manfrotto base plate adapter, and there's definitely a bit of give there. Presumably the best thing is to mount it directly to tripod bowl. Also tried mounting it on an Induro hi hat, and if you don't spread the legs enough the entire thing falls over!

-- one disadvantage is that it doesn't like grass. For photoshoot periods I'm normally very likely, at least at some point, to slap a slider on the ground and get some sort of wide-angle low-angle while B&G are being posed by the photographer and I'm racking my brains for something, anything, to put more life into the image. With the Edelkrone, you need to fiddle with tripod or hi hat -- grass hinders the movement of the track. So maybe, if you have a two- or three-videographer team, you need to carry multiple sliders for different situations...

Edit: It's so much that grass gets caught in the track. It's more that: when you're on a tripod, the centre point stays still and the legs move; when you're on the ground, the legs stay still and the centre point moves. But the centre point is very low to the ground -- low enough for grass to prevent a smooth slide.

Warren Kawamoto April 29th, 2013 10:41 PM

If you're happy with your Konova, they also make 24" and 32" models. Very compact, easy to set up.

Allan Black April 29th, 2013 11:31 PM

I remember Philip Bloom saying .. 24" is long enough, anything over that you don't really notice it on the screen. I think he's right.

Cheers.

Alec Moreno April 30th, 2013 12:47 AM

E-Z Slider makes an extremely durable 20 inch model (with 16 inches of actual travel).

Alec Moreno
Wedding Art Films - Southern California - Los Angeles - Orange County - Video

Long Truong April 30th, 2013 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian Tan (Post 1793297)
Recently got an Edelkrone slider (for ease of aircraft travel). Here's some notes:

-- for travel, I found it was the only thing that suited my particular needs -- my normal checked in and carry on luggage are already full to the weight limit with other gear. But airlines seem to allow you to carry one small laptop-sized bag in addition to normal carry on -- so I can stow a slider there.

-- it's beautifully compact; can stay permanently mounted to the tripod, without worrying too much about hitting guests. Felt less frightening to bridesmaids during makeup. Made groomsmen go, "That's cool."

-- the fact that the slider retracts (so it's meant to be easier to do pull ins and pull outs) -- I haven't really found this so useful so far. The fact is, while, with a normal slider, you're forced to do weird angles and tilts to avoid seeing the slider, maybe that actually contributes to the interest of the image.

-- the locking mechanism is annoying. Can only be locked when the head is in the centre of the tripod. Can't be locked in just any position.

-- doesn't seem more likely to see-saw than any other slider. Sort of depends on how securely it's mounted to the tripod, and the spread of the tripod legs. For instance, I've been trying to use it with a Manfrotto base plate adapter, and there's definitely a bit of give there. Presumably the best thing is to mount it directly to tripod bowl. Also tried mounting it on an Induro hi hat, and if you don't spread the legs enough the entire thing falls over!

-- one disadvantage is that it doesn't like grass. For photoshoot periods I'm normally very likely, at least at some point, to slap a slider on the ground and get some sort of wide-angle low-angle while B&G are being posed by the photographer and I'm racking my brains for something, anything, to put more life into the image. With the Edelkrone, you need to fiddle with tripod or hi hat -- grass hinders the movement of the track. So maybe, if you have a two- or three-videographer team, you need to carry multiple sliders for different situations...

Thanks for the review Adrian. I've been eyeing this slider for a while now and I'm interested in most of its features but I have to say that this slider seems pretty useless without a tripod which kind of beats the purpose of its portability.

Colin Rowe April 30th, 2013 07:03 AM

Save yourself a fortune and buy the rail and slider carriage direct from Igus, Make it whatever length you want