DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   2 Sennheiser G3s into same camera? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/514447-2-sennheiser-g3s-into-same-camera.html)

Aya Okawa February 20th, 2013 09:24 AM

2 Sennheiser G3s into same camera?

Hello,
I posted this in the XA10 forum as well, but I thought I'd post here to see if any of you wedding wizards have thoughts on this. I learn so much from you all on this forum. For interviews I usually use a Sennheiser G3 lav, with a Zoom H2 separately as back-up audio. I'm going to be shooting a two-person conversation and am thinking of using 2 G3s into my XA10. So I would have to put the receivers on a dual shoe mount, side by side. I know that some people mic bride and groom with wireless mics; does anyone use a set-up similar to this, or know how two sets of G3s operate so close to each other? Would I see any interference between the receivers if they are one separate bands? I haven't purchased the second set of G3s yet but am getting ready to order them. I'd appreciate any thoughts you all have. Thanks in advance!

Paul R Johnson February 21st, 2013 04:24 PM

Re: 2 Sennheiser G3s into same camera?

There's no electronic reason you can't put receivers close together, apart from the practical problem of attaching them. Recordists frequently have multiple receivers in their bag, all working at the same time. So if you have two systems on appropriate channels all will be well. Try to keep the aerials out in the clear - so the body of one receiver doesn't block the aerial of the other.

Dave Partington February 21st, 2013 04:33 PM

I've run two sennheisers on to one camera (XF100) several times with no problems.

As I recall, there was a table published by Sennheiser of which channels to avoid using next to each other but I can't remember the link. However, I never had any problems with either G2 or G3 systems running in parallel (used for multiple speakers).

Dave Partington February 21st, 2013 04:35 PM

Ok - have a look here: Sennheiser UK: Pro Audio / Wireless Microphone Systems / Sennheiser Intermodulation and Frequency Management Software

Chris Harding February 21st, 2013 06:00 PM

I use my Azden receivers mounted in tandem on the back of the camera and never had any issues. However the manual does mention that transmitters should be ideally 2 metres (about 6' ) away from each other probably because of harmonic frequencies that might interfere with the 2nd transmitter. I tend to rather mic the lecterns in the Church and then the groom so they are always far apart.

Bear in mind that dual receiver packs actually have two receivers in one box so it certainly won't be an issue!

Chris

Aya Okawa February 21st, 2013 07:09 PM

Great! Thank you all for the advice - I really appreciate it. I'll put in the order and look forward to trying it out!

Paul R Johnson February 22nd, 2013 03:09 PM

Having one transmitter very close to the receiver works for that receiver, but has the annoying property of what's called desensitisation. The more distant transmitter can perform poorly, because the close transmitter on a slightly different frequency makes the other receiver 'deaf' - so even though the distance to the transmitter is within the usual ok range - the signal becomes noisy and can even drop out. Having the transmitters close the the receive aerials can be quite a nuisance!