DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Shooting a wedding with a Blackmagic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/515937-shooting-wedding-blackmagic.html)

Note Suwanchote April 18th, 2013 10:53 PM

Shooting a wedding with a Blackmagic

I will be shooting a wedding with the BMC EF mount on May 5th

I've shot some "prewedding" footage that the couple wanted
here are two

My kit is very simple
besides the essentials such as tripod and monopod I will be using
BMC EF
Rods for holding
Battery Plate
V Mount--150kW which should work out to 7.5 hours
2x 240gb ssds and maybe more

I'll update the thread as I get closer and my experiences

Noa Put April 19th, 2013 12:57 AM

Re: Shooting a wedding with a Blackmagic

I take it you shoot pro-res? The first one looked great, had to laugh with the silhouette of the couple against the lake at the end, at a certain moment it looked like a a person with 4 arms :)
The second one I didn't like the color, looked there was way too much blue in it?

What have you been using before the bmc to shoot weddings? Don't you find it's form factor with no actuall switches or fysical buttons difficult to handle? I guess with a prewedding you have all the time to set up your shots but would you feel as comfortable shooting in more time stressing run and gun situations or do you shoot with 2 persons?
Also do you plan to use a second camera in such a case and which one?

Note Suwanchote April 19th, 2013 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1791394)
I take it you shoot pro-res? The first one looked great, had to laugh with the silhouette of the couple against the lake at the end, at a certain moment it looked like a a person with 4 arms :)
The second one I didn't like the color, looked there was way too much blue in it?

What have you been using before the bmc to shoot weddings? Don't you find it's form factor with no actuall switches or fysical buttons difficult to handle? I guess with a prewedding you have all the time to set up your shots but would you feel as comfortable shooting in more time stressing run and gun situations or do you shoot with 2 persons?
Also do you plan to use a second camera in such a case and which one?

I agree--i do like the first one too!
the second I used a new LUT that seems to work well on some shots and required tweaks on another. I sold my copy of Resolve 9 Full though but the lite is fine for now.

Prior to the BMC I had a GH3 (for one week), and essentially a GH2 (wow I really don't like the look of the prior weddings--bad audio and such).
For previous weddings though we either had only 1 camera or since we're very new, one of my camera man did not know how to record well (though we did go over how to film) which meant that that left me with less footage. For this next one though I'll be filming using the BMC. I have a pocket on preorder and will ultimately end up with
2x Pocket Cams
1 2.5K MFT or 4K, haven't decided.

This is ultimately the first wedding that is "full fare" and will encompass the whole day. I'm want to put in some aspect of tension and anxiety (maybe fear) but we'll see how that goes. If all the gear arrives then I'll post another thread on a full BMC wedding.

All was shot in RAW--Its very easy for me to edit/grade using my workflow then compress in cineform. My main desktop is extremely high end but I edit 90% on my retina macbook since I find that I like to edit when I'm moving.

For the upcoming wedding though since I don't want to get another EF, I'm going with a BMC and 1 GH3, and most likely a 2nd GH3. I'll be shooting the majority in ProRes but some will be in RAW. The form factor is not a problem for me since I have rigged it up in a manner that makes it simple to shoot---but I don't like run/gun (my brother does) I prefer tripod or monopod.Oh and all my lenses are manual so I don't use the touchscreen too often--its much easier to control that way.
The annoying thing is the LCD and how its not articulating.

This is another thing shot on it but I don't like the shakiness and the grading does differ--I wanted to play around with it (no sharpness is applied)

I prefer the look of this the most

Steve Burkett April 19th, 2013 01:45 AM

I'm with Noa in liking the 1st video; there's a wonderful shot at 22 secs that I particularly like that's only slightly let down by a black dot in the sun - I read a review on the BMC that highlighted this as an issue with the camera and hope it's not a problem for the Pocket version.

I admit to not seeing the BMC as a Wedding camera despite the amazing footage it can yield, and several reviews including Philip Bloom have only confirmed this opinion, so full marks that you're bucking the trend and using it anyway. It's a brave decision and I'm very intrigued to see how your 1st big Wedding using the BMC turns out.

Noa Put April 19th, 2013 01:47 AM

yes, the look of the last clip was very nice, warm natural colors. From what I see in other bmc clips from other users is that achieving the right color or tone is tricky and not that easy to get right. If I would have to shoot with a bmc I would worry about using any other b camera as the bmc has a quite distinct look, especially in raw and it would be hard to find a matching camera, unless you probably would get the pocket camera. I would like to see footage of a wedding shot with bmc pocket camera's only, if you just record your audio seperately, that should be perfectly possible and for a very small budget. Think I"m not the only one that wants to see how it performs. :)

Note Suwanchote April 19th, 2013 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1791398)
I'm with Noa in liking the 1st video; there's a wonderful shot at 22 secs that I particularly like that's only slightly let down by a black dot in the sun - I read a review on the BMC that highlighted this as an issue with the camera and hope it's not a problem for the Pocket version.

I admit to not seeing the BMC as a Wedding camera despite the amazing footage it can yield, and several reviews including Philip Bloom have only confirmed this opinion, so full marks that you're bucking the trend and using it anyway. It's a brave decision and I'm very intrigued to see how your 1st big Wedding using the BMC turns out.

much thanks!

and yep its the blacksun spot--i'm going to remove it and reupload tomorrow--of all the shots looking at the sun only that one has the spot--

Note Suwanchote April 19th, 2013 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1791399)
yes, the look of the last clip was very nice, warm natural colors. From what I see in other bmc clips from other users is that achieving the right color or tone is tricky and not that easy to get right. If I would have to shoot with a bmc I would worry about using any other b camera as the bmc has a quite distinct look, especially in raw and it would be hard to find a matching camera, unless you probably would get the pocket camera. I would like to see footage of a wedding shot with bmc pocket camera's only, if you just record your audio seperately, that should be perfectly possible and for a very small budget. Think I"m not the only one that wants to see how it performs. :)

Of course haha!

I find that there are some good LUTs out there that once applied make grading quite easy or you can just add in contrast/saturation and its roughly there--but having raw is like having an itch--you have to play around/scratch it haha.

For the majority of the wedding I'll be recording with an avantone/ntg3 through a Mix Pre D and if possible PA + some wireless

James Manford April 20th, 2013 09:41 AM

Brave man for using a Blackmagic to film Weddings ...

I wouldn't have the balls to do it. The form factor scares me to death, even though the quality is to die for!

Khoi Pham April 20th, 2013 12:02 PM

Footage are beautiful for the most part, but a 30 seconds, there are tons of aliasing in the water, you can clearly see colors dancing in the dark area of the water.

Bill Grant April 20th, 2013 03:39 PM

Whoops I double posted...

Bill Grant April 20th, 2013 03:42 PM

So, why use the bmcc? I didn't see anything in that bunch that couldn't have been shot with a mkIII with a lot less kit. I hear everyone talk about potential with this cam but I'm just not seeing anything very different.
Bill

Note Suwanchote April 20th, 2013 07:04 PM

Well there's a lot to say. but how would it be cheaper?

My blackmagic cinema after selling resolve is $2100 (2700 via TMS - 700 for Resolve 9)

lanparte battery pack is $180 or you can get the off brand for $100
150Kw v mount for $150

shoots 8 hours assuming you have enough SSD (480gb will give you 6-7 hours in Prores).

everything else is the same. Prores trumps the 5D's .mov. Blackmagic is sharper. Prores can be in RAW. and DR is 12 stops--which is HUGE over 5d--if I upload the 2.5k still, it will look much sharper, better color than a 5d.

Though I do have to hand the 5d for lowlight--something I would miss.

Long Truong April 20th, 2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Grant (Post 1791628)
So, why use the bmcc? I didn't see anything in that bunch that couldn't have been shot with a mkIII with a lot less kit. I hear everyone talk about potential with this cam but I'm just not seeing anything very different.
Bill

Bill, check out this video to get a better visual idea of the differences:

Bill Grant April 20th, 2013 08:08 PM

Ok. I've seen all that. still not convinced.

Long Truong April 20th, 2013 10:24 PM

I don't think anyone should try to convince anyone. It's about personal preferences and expectations. The video I shared was just to show the differences in results that both cameras produced during the tests.

Doing proper research to understand our gear before investing in it is important if you don't want to waste money. It's up to you to choose the tool that best suits your needs, not what others tell you.