Printing options onto DVDs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 22nd, 2013, 09:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Printing options onto DVDs

I've had my epson RX580 for almost 7 years now. I love this little printer... Combined with the water-shield DVD's, i'm usually impressed with it's quality.
That being said, I'm afraid she's getting a bit old. I've been fighting lines "banding" in my last 3 or 4 projects. I've cleaned the heads, completed alignment, nothing seems to help.

Just curious what you guys are printing too. I would like to find something for around 500USD$ Disc Painters look cool, but way more money then I thought they would be. Anyone impress with some of the newer epsons?

I use a print house for all of my other printing needs. I could very easily have them print the DVDs for me, but I feel like I would lack the control of proofing the image. Not to mention, if the DVD fails while burning.... I would like to be able to print on my own if able.

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Printing options onto DVDs

I use Kunaki for even the smallest orders. I've never had a problem with them and everything I receive looks exactly like I expect. The only downside is needing to allow six days for delivery.

If I absolutely need to print in-house, I use my Epson Artisan 710. The Artisan series is relatively inexpensive and produces quality results. I don't know if there have been any improvements to the Dymo DiscPainter, but the original used a ton of ink per disk.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 10:27 AM   #3
Major Player

I use a Brother MFC-J825DW. It's an great all-in-one, plus it has a DVD print tray. It's a four ink system (CMYK) but it still prints as well as my R300 did before it died (which was a 7 ink system.)

It's got WiFi, scans directly to Google Docs and Flickr and a bunch of others, has a document feeder, and prints on both sides of the page. It's definitely worth $150.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I'm using Epson Artisan 730. It has been replaced with a newer version. About $100. Great price. Built-in DVD tray too. Love it. I use it with CISS.

InkXPro CISS for Epson Artisan 730 Printer | L.A. Color Online Blog
Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks guys, I'll be looking into those options.

Steve
Old April 23rd, 2013, 01:05 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davis View Post
I use Kunaki for even the smallest orders. I've never had a problem with them and everything I receive looks exactly like I expect. The only downside is needing to allow six days for delivery.
I'm struggling to comprehend how cheap that is! I just checked and even with postage from states to UK for 3 DVDs is $11, can this be right??

How do you get the content to them?
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 02:30 AM   #7
New Boot

I use the Epson Artison 835. It gets the job done well, but I dunno about you guys, but this printer and possibly series, is really pretty cheaply made. Nothing's actually broken, but the plastics are super flimsy, the paper tray and the paper "catcher" whatever you call the tray that paper spits out onto after printing, sags. And it's not because I've allowed it to bear a lot of weight, but just letting it sit out, it sags under its own weight. That's how cheap and flimsy it is. So, the whole thing feels pretty cheap. However, end result is good for DVDs. I bought it at Fry's and had to print DVDs that day, so had no choice as this was that was really there.
Andrew Giordano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 06:23 AM   #8
Trustee

Having just completed the pain of a manual run of 40 DVDs (with printed DVD face, glossy DVD case inserts and shrink wrap), with frayed nerves and much swearing, a service like this looks pretty appealing. If it wasn't non-paying work for a charity I'd be on this like a shot.

Has anyone got any experience of doing this with UK-based vendors? I'm keen to avoid the international shipping costs on larger runs.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 06:37 AM   #9
Major Player

I use the Epson PX810FW with a continuous ink system from RIHAC.

Works great. It prints disc surfaces within a few seconds unlike some of the predecessors I had. Its not industrial strength but its not flimsy either.

It has wifi and that enables it to receive print instructions direct from my S3 smartphone and my ipad.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:30 AM   #10
Trustee

Do you guys do custom labels for a wedding, or a more generic 'our wedding day' label you can order from a company in bulk?
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 09:51 AM   #11
Major Player

I customise all disc surfaces with an image from their wedding as a background and their names and date in text.

I also customise all the box covers with a print and text. I use see-through boxes and slide in the prints I make on my Epson 4800.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:37 PM   #12
Major Player

Definitely custom cases/printing is the way to go!

We include a still on the front and back covers, and a different one on the disc itself. Our titles/ design matches what they see on the main menu of the Bluray and DVD. It's a BIG hit with our customers, makes them feel like they own and are watching a real movie.

We print our own as well, Epson Artisan 810. I have thought about sending them out, but I can't see waiting on it, and as someone else mentioned, I wouldn't want there to be a burn failure and have to wait for a new one. I guess it's a control thing. :-)
Katie Fasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 01:08 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
I'm using Epson Artisan 730. It has been replaced with a newer version. About $100. Great price. Built-in DVD tray too. Love it. I use it with CISS.

InkXPro CISS for Epson Artisan 730 Printer | L.A. Color Online Blog
+1 for the Artisan 730 and CISS combo! Get some Epson Ultra Premium printing paper to go with it. Yer prints will look AMAZING!!!!
Kelly Huffaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 04:41 PM   #14
Major Player

Hey Taky and Kelly
That is exactly what I was looking for....
Old April 24th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive McLaughlin View Post
I'm struggling to comprehend how cheap that is! I just checked and even with postage from states to UK for 3 DVDs is $11, can this be right??

How do you get the content to them?
As they say on their website - think of them as a machine, not a service. You're feeding data in one end and the disks come out the other. They have very limited options (You want white DVD cases or multi-page booklets? Forget about it. You'll get black cases with a one-page insert and like it!)

To get content to them, you download and run their proprietary software. It's kind of clunky, but it works. You provide the artwork in JPG format in the EXACT size they specify. The software reads your physical CD or DVD and uploads a byte-for-byte exact copy. I follow their rules and I've never had a bad experience.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques