DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Promoting with brochures (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/516234-promoting-brochures.html)

Kelly Huffaker May 1st, 2013 01:10 AM

Promoting with brochures

How many of you guys have brochures for your wedding video business? And for those who have them, how much more affective are they as opposed to giving a potential client your business cards? I was thinking about designing brochures and purchasing a bundle, but was having second thoughts as to whether or not, they are more of a nuisance.

Chip Thome May 1st, 2013 08:19 PM

Re: Promoting with brochures

Kelly.... when trying to make decisions on how to promote your business, step back and then mentally put yourself into a similar situation with you being the buyer and someone else doing the pitching. Sit down and maybe even make a list as to what you do to research products/suppliers of things you want to buy for your home or family. What do you respond to in others promotions? Where do you go looking to learn about what you want to buy? Lastly, to answer this thread's question, what do you do when someone stuffs a brochure into your hands?

We are not very different than anyone else. We all pretty much do the same stuff when put into these purchase situations. When someone stuffs a brochure into my hands, 99 times out of 100 he would have been better off spending his money on almost anything else.

Kelly Huffaker May 1st, 2013 10:10 PM

This is a great point! I tend to use the brochurs handed to me as a fan on hot days! It's also hard to showcase your video work as opposed to photography on a brochur too. I think I'll stick to enhancing my website, and business cards.

James Manford May 2nd, 2013 12:40 AM

Don't waste your money on brochures.

The first thought that came to my mind in reference to "putting myself in to a buyers shoes" is ... let me ask my friend who recently got married. Who were the videographers they used.

Now if I didn't have that experience of seeing a striking videographer team at a recent wedding, the first thought in my mind would of been to search on Google.

So if anything channel that money in to other ways to promote yourself.

Nigel Barker May 2nd, 2013 02:31 AM

If you are doing weddings fairs then brochures or flyers are a good way of getting your name in font of prospective brides. Even if you don't pay to exhibit at the wedding fair then you can quickly scoot round the parking slipping your flyers under the wipers for some free publicity:-).

Roger Van Duyn May 2nd, 2013 05:57 AM

Some venues in my area have a section for vendor's brochures and other marketing materials. Of course, it's better if the wedding planner refers you personally.

Steve Slattery May 2nd, 2013 07:43 AM

Wedding brochures

We use a pdf brochure, any enquiries we get we email them a brochure. Great thing about it is NO printing costs

Steve

Roger Gunkel May 2nd, 2013 05:48 PM

As usual I seem to be in disagreement with many here, as I find brochures incredibly useful.

I exhibit at about 10 wedding shows per year that I carefully select knowing they are well attended. I like to informally chat to potential clients, never thrusting a brochure into their hand. I only give brochures to those who stop and talk, as it is a clear reminder of what we do and how we work. It also differentiates us from the myriads of other exhibitors that just hand out bland business cards.

Many of the venues that we film in also ask for promotion material to hand out in their packages to potential brides. Several photographers that we work regularly with also hand out our brochures when their clients ask about video, as they are comfortable working with us.

I would say that with the exception of recommendations from friends, most new potential clients have picked up a brochure at some point, and in fact I signed up a client last week who had picked up a brochure at a wedding show 15 months ago!

Our brochure is styled along the lines of our website and has clear links to the website for more information. I would consider that they are money well spent, having cost £120 for 1000 trifold double sided A4 brochures.

Roger