DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Beefing up my handycam (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/516577-beefing-up-my-handycam.html)

Johnny McMullen May 16th, 2013 07:03 AM

Beefing up my handycam

hi guys..

I have just purchased a Panasonic x900 handycam as a B cam to my ac90. My first wedding is 3 weeks away and I am extremely paranoid about pulling this little cam out in front of guest!!!! Is there anything I add to this camera to take the handycam look off it????

Noa Put May 16th, 2013 07:05 AM

Re: Beefing up my handycam

My mini shouldercam setup:

password: test

Roger Gunkel May 16th, 2013 12:26 PM

The client and guests are highly unlikely to be the slightest bit interested in your small camera, only in the end result. I have been using small cameras for years, which make me highly mobile and very unobtrusive, the clients love it!!

It is your own concerns about image that are troubling you, not the people at the wedding. The only comment I have ever had about the small camera was from the photographer at a recent wedding, who had 3 big Nikon dslr cameras, a big equipment belt and copious lenses and batteries. He sneered at my camera and told me that everyone that he knows that does professional video uses multi dslrs. I replied that perhaps he should look at examples of my work before commenting and come back when he has been in the business nearly 30 years as I have. When I delivered the finished work to the client, they said that they wished the photographer's work had been as good. Not only were they unhappy with his photos, they thought he was rude and arrogant on the day and would never recommend him. Yesterday I picked up a new client on their recommendation!

So don't worry, just enjoy the portability :-)

Roger

Long Truong May 16th, 2013 02:26 PM

Like Roger said, nobody but yourself should care about what camera you use.

I bet most guests won't even pay attention to who you are and what you're doing because their eyes would be on the bride & groom anyways. You'll just be one of the many people with a camera that day.

James Manford May 16th, 2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel (Post 1795814)
The client and guests are highly unlikely to be the slightest bit interested in your small camera, only in the end result. I have been using small cameras for years, which make me highly mobile and very unobtrusive, the clients love it!!

It is your own concerns about image that are troubling you, not the people at the wedding. The only comment I have ever had about the small camera was from the photographer at a recent wedding, who had 3 big Nikon dslr cameras, a big equipment belt and copious lenses and batteries. He sneered at my camera and told me that everyone that he knows that does professional video uses multi dslrs. I replied that perhaps he should look at examples of my work before commenting and come back when he has been in the business nearly 30 years as I have. When I delivered the finished work to the client, they said that they wished the photographer's work had been as good. Not only were they unhappy with his photos, they thought he was rude and arrogant on the day and would never recommend him. Yesterday I picked up a new client on their recommendation!

So don't worry, just enjoy the portability :-)

Roger

Why is this so typical ... I have this paranoia in my mind that guests think this while i'm filming at weddings (this is when I used to operate my VG20 to film).

But in fact it's not a guest that said anything it was actually another professional telling me my camera looks a bit unsuitable as it says handycam and it's small !!!!!! arghhh !!!!!

One of the main reasons I invested in my EA50 is to shut people up and keep them off my back so I can work ... and now the disadvantage is that the camera isn't unobtrusive anymore!

Chris Harding May 16th, 2013 06:40 PM

I actually have people who are really interested when I set up my GoPro on a light stand..they almost ignore my fancy shoulder-mount Sonys and are far more fascinated with the little Hero ...

Go figure !

Chris

Roger Gunkel May 16th, 2013 06:49 PM

Big cameras used to impress people a few years ago, but now I find that people expect modern equipment to be small and highly efficient.

As they say, 'it ain't how big it is but what you can do with it!' :-)

Roger

Long Truong May 17th, 2013 12:28 AM

I actually find it laughable when I see people using C100/300's with full blown rigs or some other top of the line equipment but when I look at their portfolio and watch their work it feels like an insult to the gear they use. The best guys in the industry I know and work with still shoot with the most basic equipment but the films they make are the best I've seen so far.

If you put your priorities at the right place and make it your goal to blow people away with your films instead of making an impression with your gear, you will become a much more successful filmmaker in the long run.

Peter Rush May 17th, 2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1795868)
I actually have people who are really interested when I set up my GoPro on a light stand..they almost ignore my fancy shoulder-mount Sonys and are far more fascinated with the little Hero ...

Go figure !

Chris

Same here Chris - my GoPro gets way more attention - I'm also planning to use my VG20 for more of the day and relegate my EA50 for ceremony and speeches to see if being more unobtrusive gets a more natural response when filming amongst the guests.

I do however think Sony should stop putting 'Handycam' on anything but their budget cameras!

Nigel Barker May 17th, 2013 02:59 AM

Perhaps Sony could take a cue from the publishing industry where for certain books e.g. Harry Potter series they produced th original edition for kids then an version with a more sober & discreet cover so adults wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen reading it. Alternatively have the option like BMW used to offer of not having the model number badge on the rear. Of course you could guarantee that it was only ever 1.8L models without badges not the 2.5L.

James Manford May 17th, 2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Rush (Post 1795915)
Same here Chris - my GoPro gets way more attention - I'm also planning to use my VG20 for more of the day and relegate my EA50 for ceremony and speeches to see if being more unobtrusive gets a more natural response when filming amongst the guests.

I do however think Sony should stop putting 'Handycam' on anything but their budget cameras!

Totally agree.

Nigel Barker May 17th, 2013 09:20 AM

At least they don't do an "Uncle Bob Signature Model"

Dave Blackhurst May 17th, 2013 03:42 PM

Did anyone mention the many uses of "black electrical tape"??

I used to know musicians that would remove or cover ALL manufacturer logos and marks from their gear under the logic that... if they weren't getting an "endorsement" deal on the gear, they weren't going to advertise for the manufacturer!

Seems to me a little "stealth" modification would be an option if you REALLY feel that strongly about it! After which of course, if anyone asks, your camera is now a "custom" model <wink>! This means now you are EXTRA COOL of course, in case anyone's wondering....

Come to think of it.... I've been feeling less cool lately, time to grab a black sharpie and some tape and get busy! BWAHAHAHAHA!

Warren Kawamoto May 17th, 2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny McMullen (Post 1795752)
hi guys..

I have just purchased a Panasonic x900 handycam as a B cam to my ac90. Is there anything I add to this camera to take the handycam look off it????

If you really wanted to make any camera look more professional, add a matte box to it. Even a cheap one will do.

Johnny McMullen May 18th, 2013 11:05 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys..I haven't shot a wedding with either camera yet so I think I should really be more concerned about that for now.

First thoughts of the handy cam are good, quality footage but it can be a bit fiddly. The two cameras seem to match well but I have yet to put them through any great deal of testing!

noa that set-up you have looks the real deal. Do you solely use this set-up for a wedding? Up to now I have been using one camera for a full day wedding shoot which has been much to stressful and the resulting video looks boring. When do you introduce your second camera throughout the day? do you keep your handy cam strapped around your shoulder for quick access??