DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Receiving Lines (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/516696-receiving-lines.html)

Long Truong May 21st, 2013 08:18 PM

Re: Receiving Lines

Stop giving them everything only because you THINK that they'll be unhappy if you don't. You are the only person responsible for setting your client's expectations.

I personally never shoot the full receiving line and my couples never expect me to. They always watch my films before they hire me and I take time to walk them through the way I work so there is no surprise.

I leave it to the photographer to document every person's face and stick to my own style of shooting.

Why force yourself to do things you don't like? You are your own boss and have the power to make your own rules. Clients who agree with those rules will be happy to do business with you, those who don't can always hire someone else.

Chris Harding May 21st, 2013 08:27 PM

Hi Long

It also depends on what you offer in a package. I wouldn't expect to see it in a wedding film which is short form but in my package description I specifically say I will film the congrats (our version of the line) and my brides expect it ..I see no issue in leaving it out if you don't specify to the bride that you do it and if you feel that it wouldn't add anything to your production then there is no sense in doing it.

Contractually I say I will cover it so I do ...I don't add anything extra to to day unless I feel it should be there and we all offer different coverage ... I spend a mere 10 minutes with the B&G after the ceremony and do a stedicam shoot and then I'm outta there .. I'm sure you would spend a lot more time with them at that stage to create cinematic shots for your type of production.

Chris

Long Truong May 21st, 2013 08:50 PM

I totally agree with you Chris. If your package includes it and you are happy doing it, then it makes perfect sense.

My comment was directed to those who are reluctant to shoot something but still offer it in their packages.

I find that very often, I see people trying to GUESS what their clients want and end up doing things they don't enjoy simply because they are scared that their couples will be unhappy otherwise. What many don't know is that if they remove certain items from their packages, or at least make it much shorter, chances are clients might still book them.

That being said, I will gladly shoot a full receiving line if my clients want me to but they will have to specify it beforehand and it will normally incur extra fees because it is something that is not included in my normal package.

Peter Riding May 22nd, 2013 01:11 AM

I see people trying to GUESS what their clients want

I am also a full-time photographer and I design and supply high end albums for my clients and for clients who come to me direct - their weddings having been shot by someone else.

All clients get as much input as they want into what images and design techniques are used and have an unlimited number or revisions. This is possible because I design totally freehand using Photoshop CS6 rather than being limited by design software. I do not offer input into video editing as I don't think its really practical.

This gives me a unique insight into what clients regard as important. Their opinion often changes after their wedding. Beforehand they are usually very much into low key, informal, storytelling, reportage. But when it comes to album design things change. Many more posed formal even traditional style images find their way into the albums.

How does this relate to the question? Well I can say that the receiving line is a low priority to most clients as indicated by their image choices for their albums. Add to that the fact that receiving lines are often shot in hostile lighting conditions in cramped spaces, well the results are seldom going to be works of art.

So if you need to break off from the receiving line perhaps to finish establishing shots of the room before the guests invade or finish setting up ready for speeches if they are at the start of the wedding breakfast - well you are probably safe to do so :- )

Pete

Steve Bleasdale May 22nd, 2013 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Long Truong (Post 1796688)
Stop giving them everything only because you THINK that they'll be unhappy if you don't. You are the only person responsible for setting your client's expectations.

I personally never shoot the full receiving line and my couples never expect me to. They always watch my films before they hire me and I take time to walk them through the way I work so there is no surprise.

I leave it to the photographer to document every person's face and stick to my own style of shooting.

Why force yourself to do things you don't like? You are your own boss and have the power to make your own rules. Clients who agree with those rules will be happy to do business with you, those who don't can always hire someone else.

Good point Long but this year i have booked 17 on line without seeing me!!! Way to go these days, people haveno time to hang around a videographer when their time is valuable...

Steve Bleasdale May 22nd, 2013 01:48 AM

Beforehand they are usually very much into low key, informal, storytelling, reportage.

Totally agree Peter. The amount of times i have shown my work and they choose long or short form, i can guarantee after the short form and shown only bits of the line, the bride has rang me and said hey my mum wants the family welcome line. Its not on the DVD and my mum wants to see uncle .... and so on...No matter how many times you show your work it goes out of one ear into the next. Now you may say well its not in your contract and you argue but then will they then recommend you.. No!! Because in their mind they will feel let dowm so thats why i cover myself and just give them the disc as well as the full ceremony and speeches the same...

Scott Brooks May 22nd, 2013 02:38 PM

I used to shoot them 20 years ago but then figured out it completely kept me from getting to the reception in a timely fashion. (Our receiving lines are at the church as the guests leave.)

IF I were to do them today ... I would skip it during the edited version and make a "Bonus Chapter" at the end of the DVD where they could sit and watch 200+ individuals go through the receiving line at their own pace. It just would not be an edited piece for me.

Nigel Barker May 23rd, 2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Brooks (Post 1796847)
I used to shoot them 20 years ago but then figured out it completely kept me from getting to the reception in a timely fashion. (Our receiving lines are at the church as the guests leave.)

IF I were to do them today ... I would skip it during the edited version and make a "Bonus Chapter" at the end of the DVD where they could sit and watch 200+ individuals go through the receiving line at their own pace. It just would not be an edited piece for me.

This is exactly what I have just done for a difficult client who intensely disliked the speeded up receiving line. I had in fact had a locked off camera capturing the whole 30 minutes plus so this is what they got as an extra chapter basically unedited with just some musical tracks dubbed on.

I think that the receiving line is the videographic equivalent of the group shots for photographers & shall make sure in future to establish whether it's a big deal for the couple. I have no problem giving them an extra chapter that requires close to zero editing.

Peter Rush May 27th, 2013 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Brooks (Post 1796847)

Co-incidentally I had one this weekend where they were due to have a receiving line in the church (very rare over here) - immediately after walking down the isle - well this proved a logistical pain as it was, and I'd resigned myself to having to use a monopod - no time to reposition one of my static cameras - when lo and behold they decided to hold it in the tiny alcove on the way out of the main room - with the bride/parents in the shade and the groom actually outside in direct sunlight, and me having to film with my camera held over my head at arm's length - good job the EA50 has nice stabilization - needless to say it doesn't look great - passable but not great