DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   8 person wedding - tips? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/517092-8-person-wedding-tips.html)

Peter Rush June 10th, 2013 06:11 AM

8 person wedding - tips?

Hi all - I've just taken a booking for a registry office wedding this thursday (3 days away) that has 8 people including the bride and groom - the groom's mum has only a few weeks to live and so they want it filmed.

I've booked my basic package as there are no formalities such as speeches - apart from the ceremony which, being a registry office will be about 10 minutes. Plus I've told them I can turn it around in a week.

With only 8 people there's not going to be a lot of interaction to film and I'm slightly concerned about providing value for money here. I've agreed to go to where they are having their meal to get some extra footage (not something I normally do with my basic package) as I'm worried about the amount of footage I can get - any tips?

Robert Benda June 10th, 2013 06:20 AM

Re: 8 person wedding - tips?

Private interviews seem appropriate. We usually try to sit down with parents and grandparents and just get them talking about the Bride or groom, or themselves. If the parents are married we'll ask them how they met, if they remember how they got engaged, married.. or when bride/groom was born.

For us, when formal pictures are happening (pre-ceremony), we can often find 5 minutes for each person/couple to steal away someplace quiet.

Noa Put June 10th, 2013 06:23 AM

I would just shoot docu style, I"m pretty sure the couple don't care for slider, steadicam or shallow dof creative angles, they want the grooms mum and her voice on tape as a memory.

I would try to shoot as discreet as possible not making it too obvious your are pointing the camera to the grooms mother too much or she might feel uncomfortable

Peter Rush June 10th, 2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Benda (Post 1799474)
Private interviews seem appropriate. We usually try to sit down with parents and grandparents and just get them talking about the Bride or groom, or themselves. If the parents are married we'll ask them how they met, if they remember how they got engaged, married.. or when bride/groom was born.

For us, when formal pictures are happening (pre-ceremony), we can often find 5 minutes for each person/couple to steal away someplace quiet.

There should be time for this as they are not having a photographer - just relying on guest snaps

Peter Riding June 10th, 2013 06:54 AM

Check with them first before the day as to whether they want interviews. It could be overbearing and spoil it for them. Interviews are not nearly as popular as videographers like to think and many guests want to run a mile given the opportunity to make a break for freedom.

The shoot is what it is. No need to contrive stuff. I've shot loads of very small ceremonies, its nothing to fret about.

Pete

Chris Harding June 10th, 2013 07:06 AM

Hi Pete

I too would just shoot it doc style ..they really just want memories here. What about a little bridal prep especially with Mum as well. I think if you make a fuss of Mum you will have a happy couple.

I did a smaller one than that!! Just a bride and groom ...even the officiant had to supply two witnesses and the couple loved it to bits. If you cover maybe a tiny bit of prep and include Mum, do the 10 minute ceremony and then dinner you will have given her what she wants.

I actually did a wedding last month where Dad was supposed to have passed on 3 weeks earlier and was sent home to rest until the end. He hung in there despite being riddled with the big "C" and even made a speech ...I shot a LOT of Dad for her and her was over the moon..probably the last footage ever taken of him!!

Chris

Peter Rush June 10th, 2013 07:09 AM

The're an older couple and not sure she's want bride prep - I will ask her about some interviews though - might even do little interviews separately with the bride and groom - they've been together 18 years!

Noa Put June 10th, 2013 07:14 AM

If the couple didn't ask for interviews I wouldn't bother, it's normal to get emotionally involved in such cases as you only want to provide them with the best memory possible. I have also filmed at a wedding where the mother of the bride had a short time too live, I too had the idea of asking her mother if she wanted to tell something in front of the camera but decided not to as I didn't know how the mother or her daughter afterwards would react to that. The bride also requested to get enough footage from her mother and I just did that and she was very happy when she came and pick up the film, her mother had just passed away a few days before she picked up the dvd's. But I guess it won't hurt asking if she would like to have interviews on tape.

Paul Mailath June 10th, 2013 07:39 AM

+1 for interviews - great way to add some fill to a small wedding

Robert Benda June 10th, 2013 07:45 AM

Just to be clear, we ask about the interviews, both the B&G and the person we'd be talking to, and make sure everyone is interested.

We explain that even apart from the wedding video, would it be nice to have video of this person for the future, like a photo album? Especially when talking about grandparents.

If we won't have time, or like in Peter's case where the imminent passing will make it too much, I'd offer to go a few days early and do the interviews separately (again, IF they want them).

Basically, I'd ask the mom. If she's at the point where she's accepted her mortality, it's likely OK. After all, who wouldn't want access to that kind of memento of their loved ones, after their gone? We often don't put the footage into the wedding video, but separately on the disc or USB.