DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Replacement for faithful Irivers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/517168-replacement-faithful-irivers.html)

Dan Burnap June 13th, 2013 04:55 AM

Replacement for faithful Irivers

I have been using the old IFPs with giant squid mics to capure sound from the groom and priest now for a number of years. They still work fine but would like to know what the latest and greatest devices people are using these days. Any recommendations?

Nigel Barker June 13th, 2013 06:28 AM

Re: Replacement for faithful Irivers

These cheap Sony recorders are recommended by several people on the forum so I have just ordered a couple. Amazon.com: Sony Digital Flash Voice Recorder (ICD-PX312): Electronics

Evidently everywhere except the US we can buy the 312M package which includes a stereo lav mic http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-ICD-PX3...&keywords=312m but as you already have Giant Squids that's not a problem.

Chris Hewitt June 13th, 2013 10:45 AM

Nigel, regarding these Sony recorders, I have received three of them yesterday with the lavs and they do work great. Having used them before, what steps do you take for levels as they don't have any level control as such?

Roger Gunkel June 13th, 2013 11:44 AM

Chris, I think Nigel has only just ordered his, so having used mine for a few weeks and being one of those that recommended them, perhaps I can jump in.

There are four built in sensitivity levels which are labeled as 'scenes'. Although that sounds unsatisfactory at first sight, it actually works really well and is very quick to set. I set mine for 'Interview' for most situations, including miking the Groom to pick up both Bride and Groom. I use the mic low down on the Groom's jacket to give a similar distance to both B&G.

I tend not to use the autogain preferring to normalise the sound levels at the editing stage. I have ordered another two, and my Zoom H1 is now relegated to a backup recorder. In fact as I only bought the H1 a couple of months ago, I now wish I had bought more of the Sony's instead.

Roger

Chris Hewitt June 13th, 2013 12:46 PM

Thanks Roger, I'll try it out on that setting....have to say, so far, I'm really impressed with it. Hard to believe really. Are you getting any clipping if you mic the speech makers, particularly when the reception guests are doing their best to imitate a 747 passing overhead?
I think that if we could start a trend here in the UK for people making speeches to use a podium, how much easier it would be to get great audio every time.

Roger Gunkel June 13th, 2013 04:53 PM

Chris, I was just on the way out to deliver a wedding to a client when I posted my reply and said that I usually use the 'Interview' setting, I should have said 'Meeting', as the interview setting is for very close mic use and will quite possibly not have enough volume. I haven't had any clipping at all on the 'Meeting ' setting.

Apologies if I caused any confusion ;-(

The podium for speeches in the UK would certainly make life a lot simpler! Last weekend's wedding had a 20ft head table with one speaker at either end and the Groom in the middle. That was fun!!

Roger

Had to edit as it is very late, I am very tired and I am talking out of my backside, but now says what I meant :-)

Adrian Tan June 13th, 2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Burnap (Post 1800055)
I have been using the old IFPs with giant squid mics to capure sound from the groom and priest now for a number of years. They still work fine but would like to know what the latest and greatest devices people are using these days. Any recommendations?

The Rob Adams recommendation is Roland R-05 + Tram TR-50. The Roland is $170 at B&H, and I think it's basically as good as you're going to get in terms of a recorder that size. The Tram is about $240 at B&H, and I think you can probably get better. I'm curious about the Sanken COS-11D-R, for instance, which is about $400, but I've heard talk that it's too sensitive for a wedding environment, so there's that sort of consideration as well. But I've never actually sat down and compared the sound properly.

The Roland+Tram combination produces great sound (clear, clean, full), but there do seem to be some shortcomings (for instance, the volume is low, though you can gain it up without it sounding bad; the Roland could do with a belt clip; and the clips for the Trams are ridiculous -- very easy to lose).