DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   iPhone/iPad authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/517371-iphone-ipad-authoring.html)

Guillermo Ibanez June 24th, 2013 04:16 AM

iPhone/iPad authoring

Hi everyone,

not sure if this has been talked over before.......
with the overwhelming amount of mobile devices around us these days, I'm starting to consider to deliver our films ready to be watched on iPhones/iPads,etc (on top of DVD/BD).....I think that could be a nice touch.
However I would like to retain the whole menus/chapters structure where possible and I don't know if this is even possible. How could you do something like that? Quicktime Pro? would I have to build my own App (pricey)? any other software........

thanks!

James Manford June 24th, 2013 04:48 AM

Re: iPhone/iPad authoring

To retain menus, chapters etc you will definitely need to build an app or something.

OR if there was a media player available that plays the 'whole' structure then your fine.

Otherwise, you can convert your media files to play on the ipod/ipad no problems - as long as it's just the video file without any chapters etc.

I convert my video using a program called 'Handbrake'

Roger Gunkel June 24th, 2013 04:58 AM

I convert my video to mp4 but keep each chapter as a separate file using an appropriate filename. Most players, iPad etc will play the files sequentially, or the client can select individual files to play if they wish.

When I have completed the editing in the NLE, I simply tell the programme to save selected sections only as mp4, highlighting the next section as it finishes each one. That way there is only one lot of editing to do, as chapter points are for dvd are ignored by the mp4 rendering.

Roger

Paul Wood June 24th, 2013 05:25 AM

I dont know about other NLEs, but FCPX allows you to export to Apple devices whilst retaining the chapter markers you added in edit.
These are then available on iPad etc when viewing.
MacBreak Studio had an episode about it a while back.

Chris Harding June 24th, 2013 05:58 AM

Hi Roger

I do much the same but also give each MP4 and numerical header so it will play in sequence without any issues so it's almost a menu but without the icons/pretty pictures

So if I'm doing a wedding in shoot order the files would be 0001groomprep.mp4, then 0002brideprep.mp4, 0003arrival.mp4, 0004ceremony.mp4

The leading zeros make sure than they are kept totally numerical and you don't get file 1, then file10, then file 11 and 2 only appears after file 20. The sensible names should be common sense to any bride.

Chris

Roger Gunkel June 24th, 2013 06:18 AM

That's the same for me Chris, numerical first to maintain the sequence, then a descriptive text.

Roger

Nigel Barker June 24th, 2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Wood (Post 1801737)
I dont know about other NLEs, but FCPX allows you to export to Apple devices whilst retaining the chapter markers you added in edit.
These are then available on iPad etc when viewing.

The new version of Premiere Pro has the same option.

James Manford June 24th, 2013 07:57 AM

I should of explained why I convert using Handbrake.

It retains all of the image quality but dramatically reduces the file size by half.

Peter Riding June 24th, 2013 09:46 AM

I've been supplying MP4's in addition to DVDs routinely for a couple of years now but I have not yet found a way to provide chapters in the MP4's. I think some people may author as Flash to get around it.

However I don't think its an issue at all because invariably you can easily scrub to any part of the video you want in whatever tablet or phone or PC you are using. A Playstation 3 though requires that you fast forward it but you could use BluRay with chapters for that device.

Because of the ease of scrubbing I prefer to supply one big file rather than multiple smaller ones. I supply on DVD discs using dual layer if necessary.

James are you saying that you can make an MP4 file in Handbrake of the same quality as you might in Vegas Pro but at half the file size, or are there tradoffs? Could you post your settings - sounds interesting as smaller file tends to equal easier playback on a wider range of devices without the client having to use the devices downconversion software.

Pete

James Manford June 24th, 2013 10:09 AM

Correct Pete

No settings neccessary, it's really straight forward.

The file size for example - 1 hour of footage is 6gigs when Vegas renders it into an .mp4 ... pop that into Handbrake, and it converts it to 1080p, retains the same quality from what I can see but now at 3.2gigs.

You literally select the device on the right hand side in Handbrake and it converts it. Moderately fast too ...

Noa Put June 24th, 2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Riding (Post 1801773)
but I have not yet found a way to provide chapters in the MP4's

I was interested in adding chapters in mp4's and just had a look, I first use handbrake to make a high quality low bitrate file and change the extention from mp4 to m4v after I saved it, then I open Drax (Drax - Home) and open the m4v file and add the chapterlists from within Drax, when I then save the file (no transcoding time involved) I can jump to the different chapters when I view the file in vlc mediaplayer, not sure if it would work on a ipad? The only negative thing was I had to manually write down the timecodes in my nle to know where each chapter had to start as I needed that info to add to drax.

James Manford June 25th, 2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1801784)
I was interested in adding chapters in mp4's and just had a look, I first use handbrake to make a high quality low bitrate file and change the extention from mp4 to m4v after I saved it, then I open Drax (Drax - Home) and open the m4v file and add the chapterlists from within Drax, when I then save the file (no transcosing time involved) I can jump to the different chapters when I view the file in vlc mediaplayer, not sure if it would work on a ipad? The only negative thing was I had to manually write down the timecodes in my nle to know where each chapter had to start as I needed that info to add to drax.

Sounds good. I know iPad, iPod and Android devices can download VLC Media Player! so if it works on desktop, it should work on your smart phone ...

Guillermo Ibanez June 25th, 2013 09:39 AM

thanks guys for your replies....

I guess best option forward is to 'chapter' quicktime files as it's clear to me that having DVD menu structure is out of the question. I cant believe how no one has come with an app like that yet....

John Knight June 25th, 2013 03:11 PM

I deliver DVD's only. I clearly state in my marketing blurb and quotes that my wedding videos are "iFriendly - No extra charges if you want portions of your wedding DVD delivered in alternative formats (ie: iPhone, iPad etc)

I've been doing this for about 18 months and not once in 40 weddings has anyone come back and requested it.

Might pay to test the demand first like this or you might be just adding work for yourself where there is no actual demand.

Chris Harding June 25th, 2013 06:49 PM

Very good point John

It's the same as buying bluray burners and getting blank media in and spending hours getting them right on your system when bride's have never asked for a BD disk. I supply DVD only ... just for interest last year I tried a special by offering brides a free USB thumbdrive if they booked a specific package and they really were not interested.

No sense in spending hours getting all set up for iPad delivery when no-one wants it! Has anyone here been specifically asked "I want to have my wedding video on my iPad" ???

Chris

Peter Riding June 26th, 2013 12:28 AM

I take a different view in that the MP4's I deliver are 1920x1080 and at a decent bit rate - the point being to deliver something which will be of value in the future even though clients may not appreciate its value at present. Future-proofing if you like. And that may be a way of ensuring recommendations far into the future.

Also it can only be a matter of time before the technical quality available via regular DVD falls short of client expectations what with the relentless march forward of high def TV transmissions, 4,000 screens etc.

I always show videos on an Ipad 3 and on a Galaxy S3 in my consultations. This illustrates their value to clients and certainly gets their interest. It also helps differentiate me from the competition.

For me to produce an MP4 in addition to a regular DVD is not a lot of extra work, it just ties down a machine for what can be a very lengthy render. And of course the hard costs are low.

I would re-interate my earlier point that you don't really need chapters in MP4's because of devices ability to scrub in an instant. I'd say that you don't really need a chapter screen in regular DVDs either - certainly in Vegas you can insert chapter markers and then set up the burn in DVD Architect so that the client can skip around simply by pressing the chapter buttons on their remote. No cheesy menu screen and lots of marker / chapter points.

Pete

Noa Put June 26th, 2013 12:39 AM

Quote:

No cheesy menu screen and lots of marker / chapter points.
I thought about this as wel a lot, in a movie you also have scene's in the menu to but I never use them, I just watch the film from beginning to end and if just want to see a certain part again I find skipping forward inside the movie faster then to go back to the menusystem and go through the different pages.

Peter Riding June 26th, 2013 02:55 AM

Another point I meant to add is the difference in the ability of screens to show the full range.

Typically a TV will show 16-235 whereas as computer tablet or smartphone will show 0-255. OK I'm oversimplifying but please bear with me.

The media you feed your NLE will have some bearing. In my case I'm using mainly 5DII files and Panasonic AVCHD 1920x1080 50p files which are at the 0-255 end.

What this means is that if you edit to optimise for computer viewing your end product will look more contrasty on a TV than you intended, sometimes unpleasantly so. And if you edit to optimise for TV viewing your product will look washed out on a computer.

My workflow to help get around this in Vegas is to edit as is for MP4's, but for DVDs to add Vegas's somewhat confusing computerRGB to studioRGB effect to the bus ( so that it is applied to all the video tracks including nested projects ).

In the future when TVs can routinely show a wider range then the MP4 version will look a lot better on those TVs than will the "old" DVDs.

The MP4's look spectacular on the Ipad 3 by the way :- )

Pete

Mark Whittle June 26th, 2013 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1801955)

It's the same as buying bluray burners and getting blank media in and spending hours getting them right on your system when bride's have never asked for a BD disk.

Chris

I finished a wedding yesterday and asked the bride "How many copies on Blu-ray?"
"She replied, All four, thanks".

I market as HD though. Before I did no-one asked. Many didn't realise it is possible to have their wedding on Blu-ray, the rest couldn't care less. I find it is a way to get the fellas interested, as a lot are techno tragics like many of us. I don't go on about technical stuff though or they both lose interest!

Guillermo, Premiere Pro CS6 & Final Cut X both I believe can export chapter points on quicktime files that can use poster frames like you would use in DVD menus, so you could export MP4s that way. Chris's/Roger's way though would work on pretty much any device/player.

Roger Gunkel June 26th, 2013 03:22 AM

Although I offer my weddings on DVD, BD, MP4 etc and show an example on iPad, I never get asked for anything except dvd except for once only, a couple of years back when I was asked for a BD.

It's all very well future proofing your work for the client, but how far into the future will that be for? We just don't know whether in 5 years time something totally different will come along and all our future proofing will prove to be a total waste of time. As far as I am concerned, I supply for what the market demand is now, not what it might or might no be.

BD is a gap filler with far less take up than dvd, and there are countless examples of future audio and video technology that have been developed then fallen by the wayside. Betamax, Video disc, Mini DVD, DAT, Digital Cassette, Mini Disc etc. When there is a demand for something different then I will supply it, but I won't bust a gut supplying a market that isn't there.

Roger

Chris Harding June 26th, 2013 05:58 AM

Good point Mark

I guess the guys might be interested in the newer technology and it might even prompt them to buy a player. I however still have little interest shown (like Roger) in media formats probably thru lack of education.

I wonder how many grooms actually excitedly watch the wedding video? I signed up a new bride on Monday and the groom to be hastily disappeared out the room telling the bride to do whatever she thought was good! I rarely have a groom who participates eagerly in pre-wedding discussions!

Chris

Mark Whittle June 26th, 2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel (Post 1802010)
As far as I am concerned, I supply for what the market demand is now, not what it might or might no be.
When there is a demand for something different then I will supply it, but I won't bust a gut supplying a market that isn't there.

Roger

Well there is a demand where I am. I am not the only one in my fairly small market doing Blu-rays, and, as I said in the thread on file based output only, I was toying with the idea of blu-ray exclusively at the expense of DVD, purely because one of my competitors is doing that already.

"Bust a gut", "spending hours getting them [Blu-rays] right on your system..." Is authoring Blu-rays difficult for you guys? Since I went HD 3 years ago it has been easier making a blu-ray than a dvd. Plus I can put well over 2 hours of video if I have to without compressing the hell out of it or resorting to dual layer disks.

The reason I prefer BD is it saves me time, as I don't need to downconvert an SD version and re-author for dvd.

As for the future proofing argument, I'm not bothered about what future formats we might face, I just want to provide them the best we can at the moment. BD is already 5 years old. DVD is easily 15 years old.

If there is no demand in your market, good for you. As I said, two of my competitors do HD, and one has abandoned SD altogether. While I don't think that's a good idea, he is getting plenty of work despite pretty much telling the customer what they are going to have (a bit like Apple!).

Cheers,

Peter Riding June 27th, 2013 01:59 AM

The future proofing I have described is not the shot in the dark some seem to think.

Currently many DVD players make a very good job of upscaling standard definition to play on 1920x1080 TVs - as I'm sure we all know. I'm sure we will see similar capabilities in forthcoming players designed to work with 4000 screens and a player starting with a current high def file rather than a standard def file is bound to make a far better job of it. TV screens are bound to get higher and higher def simply because of the march towards using them for browsing the net and email and that will include a 0-255 capability (maybe they will also have a 16-235 play mode so that old DVDs don't look quite so bad as they might otherwise).

Alternatively there is a chance for an upsell to previous clients in due course though its hard to imagine it as a money spinner.

We are not talking about emerging technologies here that may or may not catch on and if you're not running forwards you're running backwards.

Roger I always find your posts insightful and oozing with real world experience so I'm a little surprised that you don't appear to have embraced the "unique selling point" angle presenting to clients something that many at first don't even realise they want. It reminds me in some ways of the 4:3 / 16:9 conundrum a few years back.

Pete

Chris Harding June 27th, 2013 02:22 AM

Hi Pete

I had the opportunity to watch one of my own weddings at a bride's house on a huge 60" TV and a pretty much ordinary DVD player but obviously quite recent as the upscaling was awesome. I very much doubt whether any bride could tell the difference between that and full HD as she isn't pixel peeping like we do!

OK, I also must be going through a day where my IQ has dropped from normal down to that of a complete idiot but what exactly are you talking about regarding the "unique selling point" angle that Roger seems to have missed? He might have missed the advantage but I didn't even grasp the angle!! Please explain ...SLOWLY! Just for me??

Chris

Peter Riding June 27th, 2013 04:28 AM

To the client, words to this effect:

"I also give you an MP4 version of every wedding DVD. Thats like an MP3 file for music but MP4 means its for video, and its high definition and optimised to play on Ipads smartphones and computers. Take a look on the Ipad here ....." (gets out Ipad 3 followed by smartphone - which are of course great for sharing excerpts with friends).

Once the clients are blown away by the crisp footage and ease of scrubbing then you may add:
"I don't think you'll find many videographers do that at all." (thats the unique selling point bit).

So you've introduced a product which the clients didn't even know they want and you've put some distance between what you offer and what they can get elsewhere.

Things like this also help to give the (right) impression that you are on the bleeding edge and will not be like their worst nightmare old school videographer.

A similar bridge was crossed a few years back when stills shooters started offering the edited high definition JPEGs. For a long time clients couldn't see the point and also for a long time photographers hung onto those files in the hope of continuing to make good money from album upsales and print sales. The alternative was to sell the files, but many clients did not understand it until shown. Then very juicy prices could be charged. Of course now many clients only want the files and nothing else and photographers not including the files within their packages would be commiting commercial suicide unless operating in a niche market (e.g. with heavy emphasis on album and wall print sales made in a hard sell viewing session after the wedding and with time limits and no online gallery; that technique is still common in portraiture as portraits simply don't sell for decent prices when the main route is online).

Yes the DVDs look good on big screens - I routinely use a 50" plasma in consultations, and as we know content trumps technical bragging rights but even so .....

Pete

Noa Put June 27th, 2013 04:52 AM

Henry Ford once said: "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." and Steve Jobs once said "A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them." :)

I see a lot of brides that have Ipads and even more that have a Iphone, most of the email communication I get from my clients is with the message "sent from my Iphone" and I put a vimeo video online last night and the bride responded: We where allready in bed but quickly took the Ipad to see the video. The only thing is I don't own a Ipad or Iphone so then it's hard to sell :) but I agree that it's much better to show then tell.

Roger Gunkel June 27th, 2013 04:54 AM

Peter, perhaps my viewpoint is slightly ambiguous, as I am not missing the point of an HD product, rather the fact that I just don't get asked for it. I always point out to clients that they can have an HD option if they wish, and although I would prefer Usb or SD card, they can have a BD if they would like it. However they all seem to want a dvd simply because everyone can view it, as dvd players are pretty well universal. I also offer to put their wedding onto their iPad or iPhone, but again it just doesn't seem to create any interest.

I think that given an HD tv and upscaling player, that as Chris says, most people really can't see the difference and are only really interested in the content. Most people with HD tv are also used to watching most tv programmes in standard res on the majority of broadcasts, as only a small percentage is broadcast in HD, so a good quality dvd meets their expectations. I really believe that most people would probably still be happy with VHS and the steady upgrade in quality is more down to manufacturers creating new markets than consumer demand.

Lets be honest here, we all know that 4k on a typical domestic tv is going to look pretty much the same as current HD, it just gives greater flexibility at the production end and of course better quality on very large home cinemas and commercial systems. It's taken over 10 years for HD to appear in most households, not because people wanted it, but because manufacturers stopped producing tubed tvs. Consumers like an HD tv because it is slimmer and more stylish, and with smart tvs it acts like, and interfaces with their smart phone. I really can't imagine any bride asking for her wedding in 4k in the foreseeable future and as HD is still only giving partial coverage it will be a long time before the public are forced into manufacturer and broadcaster driven 4k products. It will be the fashionable aspects of 4k products that will attract the consumer, not the picture quality and it will have to be something that is only available with the new product, like paper thin tvs or roll up screens :-)

Roger

Chris Harding June 27th, 2013 05:47 AM

Hi Roger

Aha! I now see what Peter is talking about ... You are 100% correct of course and most brides WONT ask for a thumbdrive but simply cos they have no idea you can do such a thing. If you show them the option (whether they know about it or not) then that could give you the edge !! What they don't know about they won't ask about.

I always remember the chainsaw joke : A customer walked into the chainsaw shop and said "I want to return this chainsaw ..it's useless .. won't cut down any trees" The salesman took it from him and pulled the starting cord and the little engine roared into life " Holy C..P", yelled the customer, "What's that noise"

Peter, just for interest, do you mention the USBs/Ipad/IPhone option on your website or do you only introduce the option when you meet them ?

Chris

Peter Riding June 27th, 2013 06:46 AM

Chris, its on my website and also in the PDF price lists that I attach to emails. So its there if people are inclined to pick up on it.

I use DVD boxes that can take two discs, one being the regular DVD and the other being the MP4. The disc surfaces have printed on them what they are optimised for etc and this information is also on the box's sleeve insert which I print on my Epson 4800. So they've got the info to refer to if they forget :- )

The relative uptake of high def in the UK is actually relatively high as measured by the satellite broadcaster Sky. I find its common among us Sky customers to have high def and to be quite snobbish about only watching high defs programs - of which there are tons. All the main terrestrial stations - BBC1 BBC2 ITV1/2/3/4 Channel 4 and Channel 5 all have high def channels and nearly all the content on them is high def - or Skys version of it anyway which is interlaced of course. All the Sky movie channels - of which there are many - are available in high def.

OK some broadcasts are fairly indistinguishable especially low budget reality and USA public service content but others can be massively better. A case in point is football where there is a world of difference between watching in standard and watching in high definition. No comparison and grooms are highly likely to be aware of that. The Sky receivers do upscale and you can of course opt to have your home cinema system do that instead if you're into all that.

The old stuff about loads of channels but nothing to watch, and no difference between standard and high def is just ..... well ... old stuff. And I and many others never ever watch programs at the time of transmission other than the news but prefer to watch at a time of my choice. The catchup services such as BBC iplayer have become hugely popular; not available in high def for saving to a local drive just yet - as far as I'm aware - but not far off and then even Youtube streaming make make your regular DVDs look pretty poor.

There seems to be a disconnect at present between couples expecting videographers to work in high def and couples receiving and accepting standard def products.

Pete

Nigel Barker June 27th, 2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Riding (Post 1802159)
The catchup services such as BBC iplayer have become hugely popular; not available in high def for saving to a local drive just yet - as far as I'm aware

Get iPlayer Automator does a great job on the Mac. I am sure that there are similar programs if you are afflicted with Windows:-) https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/39...ayer-automator

Roger Gunkel June 27th, 2013 02:17 PM

Ok, so why is there an assumption that I am against HD or don't promote it to my clients? Let me reiterate once more that at every new client meeting, I promote the fact that they can have their wedding in HD of they wish, on MP4 or I will put it on their iPad for no extra charge. I also have an iPad showing a video along with the HD tv display at every wedding show that I do. It's just that they are never interested in it, although I could give them an HD version whether they wanted it or not. It just seems somewhat pointless!

As regards the main channels being on HD, that is only partly correct, as although Sky may broadcast in HD, a large proportion of the UK public don't subscribe to Sky, preferring to get their tv through Freeview. Many of the programmes that are broadcast on digital channels are also re runs of older non HD programmes and non HD imports. Much of the tv that many people watch is also downloaded through iPlayer, ITVplayer, and various other internet sources, most of which can hardly be described as HD quality viewing unless they have an extremely fast internet connection.

My point was merely that most people are quite happy to view content rather than quality, and that upscaled dvd is often commented on for the high quality when viewed on an HD tv compared to a lot of stuff that people sit and watch. If I supplied every customer with HD video I really don't think it would make one iota of difference to the amount of business that I do, but I am very happy to let them know they can have it. I would also be very happy to supply everything on MP4, as it would do away with having to write dvds and print up artwork for cases and dvd faces. :-)

Roger

Chris Harding June 27th, 2013 06:20 PM

Hi Roger

It certainly wasn't my assumption that you are anti-HD .. With me as well, I admit that the option is currently missing on my website so I should at least offer it to brides, despite the fact that they never ask for it? I'm certainly not against the bride seeing her wedding in HD and more often than not if she doesn't ask about it when I meet them, then I don't even bring up the subject. Seriously if a bride says "I like your work where do I sign" is it actually necessary to offer more options?

Maybe I should add an MP4 disk to my packages ...free or pay for it??? I do like the idea of supplying the MP4 files on a disk rather than a thumb drive ... 30 cents for a blank disk is more profitable than an 8GB thumb drive price and you can print a lot easier on the disk.

Chris

Roger Gunkel June 28th, 2013 04:26 AM

Hi Chris,
I think that perhaps as videographers we have higher expectations of the technical knowledge of our clients than most of them actually posess. For example, I always say to my clients that I am quite happy for them to make their own copies of the dvd for family and friends with no need to come back to me unless they want printed sleeves and discs. The usual response is that they wouldn't know how to do that! I find it amazing that most people only know how to go online or save their pictures to a computer, so I suspect that if you give them a disc with an mp4 file on it, most of them wouldn't have a clue what to do with it.

I always take stills off of the video to use as an ending montage, and I put the file on a disc for them to view separately on their computer or print out. I've lost count of the number of calls I have had from clients saying that the stills disc won't play on their dvd player even though the disc has 'data only' written on it.

I really feel that most people are not the slightest bit interested in whether we do SD, HD or 4K and whether we deliver it on dvd, BD, usb or sd card providing they can play it. They look at examples and if they like what they see and get on with you, then they will book. Providing we keep up with current mainstream consumer formats that are used by the majority, then in my opinion, anything else on offer will be a case of 'If it's free we'll have it', with the occasional exception of course.

Roger

Chris Harding June 28th, 2013 05:38 AM

Hi Roger

You have hit the nail on the head of course ..brides are only interested in the content! Put good content on a VHS tape (assuming they have a player) and they would still be delighted!!

Yep, you can often lure guys with technology but the brides you can't ! I suspect that grooms would maybe watch the DVD under great duress or maybe they figure if they keep the new wife happy things will get even better BUT I very much doubt whether they watch it because the dresses are pretty. I bet if you told a bride the disks would be in a "UHD77-P disk format with wrap around ultrasound" they would be unphased UNLESS they couldn't watch it. It's the same with our cameras too!! I had a photog friend who had a Canon 40D and the first thing he would do at a bride consultation was pull out his camera and explain all it's tech advantages ... the bride of course was totally un-interested. All she wanted was to look at some prints to see what her wedding would look like.

As a little exercise I had added a new bullet to my packages offering MP4 clips of the wedding that the bride can install on her iPad or iPhone ... I'll leave it for a week but I bet it won't make much difference to sales enquiries ..of course, if I'm wrong I'll keep it there otherwise I won't worry about doing it.

Cover her wedding accurately with sharp focus and nice audio and you have a happy bride! If you do happen to book a tech savvy bride, she will ask you the technical questions.

Chris