DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   The importance of client relations and first contact (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/517411-importance-client-relations-first-contact.html)

Roger Gunkel June 27th, 2013 05:39 AM

The importance of client relations and first contact

I met a couple at a wedding show last year, who were not convinced of the value of a wedding video. I talked to them informally and a few weeks later they emailed to say that following our chat at the show, they had decided to reconsider a video and would like to ask some more questions. I arranged to visit them and followed our usual policy of letting them look at whatever they want and ask questions, without trying to sell them anything. It was a friendly visit with lots of non wedding chat as well.

A couple of weeks later we received an email saying that they had really enjoyed the visit and had decided to go ahead and book. As we had another wedding with both video and photography on the same day, my wife Claire, rang them to let them know that she would be filming for them and to discuss extra details.

The wedding was four weeks ago, Claire enjoyed filming it, and it she edited it as a 2 hour full doc style and I delivered it to the couple last week. Yesterday, we received a thank you card with the following message hand written inside:-

To Roger and Claire,
Thank you so much for our amazing wedding dvd, we absolutely love it! We had the best day and you captured it brilliantly, you didn't miss a thing whilst being very discreet the whole time. Out of all the money spent, this is the most worthwhile and you have created the perfect memory for us to look back on always. From meeting you, Roger, at the wedding fair, to every telephone conversation and finally meeting Claire on the day. Your service is outstanding!
Love from Claire & Simon F*****L

To me, this illustrates firstly how important it is to build an honest relationship with a potential client right from the start, followed up by a personal visit. Secondly it shows that the importance of a wedding video to most couples, only becomes obvious after the day. Without the friendly and informative first chat, this couple would not have considered a video, but in retrospect, it has become the the most treasured thing that they have spent money on. Particularly satisfying as they also had quite an expensive photographer on the day.

It's very rewarding to receive messages like that, but it opens up the question of how to get that across to the other 90% of couples who don't have a video.

Roger

James Manford June 27th, 2013 05:47 AM

Re: The importance of client relations and first contact

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel (Post 1802152)
It's very rewarding to receive messages like that, but it opens up the question of how to get that across to the other 90% of couples who don't have a video.

By raising awareness and value

Youtube, Vimeo and all the other online video hosting sites are helping now ...

The sooner potential couples start watch wedding films online, the more intrigued they will be to actually getting one themselves ...

Films need to become viral. People that aren't even in a relationship need to start seeing wedding videos just for the sake of it. It needs to be embedded in people's heads early on so when it comes to them getting married, they prioritize a videographer in to their budgets rather than giving it a miss or seeing no value in one.

Steve Burkett June 27th, 2013 06:44 AM

For this reason, no matter what package the couple go for, I always deliver a Trailer 2 weeks after the Wedding or a Marryoke if I've filmed one. I spoke to one Videographer who only provides an online Highlights video if the couple pay for it, which I feel is the wrong way to go about things. I think it's important for some form of video to be available online to be distributed on facebook and the like as close to the Wedding as possible, when it's fresh in guests mind and they're more interested in seeing it.
Couples getting married 20 years ago would have doubtless seen countless examples of Wedding photography through magazines, newspapers, friends, family and workmates, whilst the humble Wedding video sits in a drawer somewhere. Thanks to the internet, we now have the means to reach a wider audience. I've lost count the number of clients who said, well we weren't going to book a Videographer then we saw this Wedding video online and knew then we had to have one.

Katie Fasel June 27th, 2013 09:50 AM

We also post a trailer or full highlight video for every wedding we do. We share it on our Facebook page, and in turn, our brides and grooms share it on their pages.

On top of that, for every wedding we do, we get special business cards made out that say:

"Like us on Facebook to see a sneak peek of Jane and Jon's video" and we put them out at the reception. A batch of 25 costs about $8, and it's well worth the expense to generate traffic on our facebook pages and website.

We also go out of our way through the planning process to become "friends" with all of our customers. Heck, with many of our referrals coming from siblings or bridesmaids, it's likely we'll see them again anyhow, so it's nice to get to know everyone.

Roger Gunkel June 27th, 2013 03:07 PM

My views on short form and trailer videos as the only product offered to the client have been expressed clearly, but the idea of a trailer or highlights on line for the couple and their friends to see as a preview and as a sales tool, I think is one that I will be following up on.

I also took a lot of footage recently at a wedding at a very prestigious venue, which I intend to edit into a short promotion for the venue on their website. The owner asked me how much I expected to charge him and when I told him it would be free in return for a credit on his website, he was very interested. That should be repeatable for a number of venues.

Roger

Nigel Barker June 29th, 2013 03:50 AM

I shot a wedding video a couple of weeks ago & just posted the highlights on line. This morning I had an email from the sister of the bride who is getting married in October:-

"This morning i watched my sister's Wedding highlights, and they reduced me to a blubbering wreck. I had almost decided an amateur video would do but was holding out to see the work you had done....well i'm sold."

Here is the video if anyone else wants to blubber.

Cinematic Wedding Video and Photography Norfolk London and throughout UK

Roger Gunkel June 29th, 2013 04:20 PM

I can see that having an instant appeal Nigel, and is easily uploadable, so perhaps something I will try experimenting with.

Roger