DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Music selection (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/517420-music-selection.html)

Nick Reuter June 27th, 2013 10:57 AM

Music selection

Hey guys, I shot my first wedding video a few weeks back. I've finally got my footage organized and am starting to put together my highlights reel. I feel totally lost on choosing a song.

A friend of ours was married last year and they used this song, which I loved:

I'm looking for something sort of in that capacity. Romantic, nice lyrics, but good build up where I can transition to some more exciting footage. Something that really "builds".

Anyone have any suggestions or favorites? I'm trying to avoid the "typical" video songs and do something a bit more contemporary.

One that came to mind is Alex Aiono - It Doesn't Get Better

I sort of like that although I wasn't sure if it was too much Guy talking about Girl. Although at the same time a wedding is about the bride, right :)

There's a new Mariah Carey song also Beautiful although it's a little slower than I was sort of looking for.

Any other suggestions?

Nick Reuter June 27th, 2013 11:00 AM

Re: Music selection

PS never actually saw that last music video before posting here, had only heard the song on the radio. Mariah Carey certainly has gotten a little risque, lol.

Peter Riding June 27th, 2013 11:49 AM

Copyright?????

Robert Benda June 27th, 2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Riding (Post 1802218)
Copyright?????

Indeed. Nick, there are plenty of sites where you can license fantastic music to use legally.

I remember an article by Joe Simon where he talked about getting smacked by the RIAA for an undisclosed sum (5 or 6 figures? I don't think he was specific) when Tony Romo's wedding highlight video went viral and he was using pop songs instead of licensed.

Nick Reuter June 27th, 2013 02:47 PM

Thanks. I'm normally familiar with copyright issues as I also run a large skiing website but didn't think it applied here in the same way since the videos are for personal consumption solely.

Is the issue someone having music on a DVD or BRD or file they have locally or is it with me using it as promotional materials? Or both?

Sorry for sounding like a newb. Because I am :)

Edit: found a good Vimeo thread on it I'm reading through now. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction before I land myself in hot water....

Katie Fasel June 27th, 2013 02:47 PM

Song Freedom has a lot of great options for songs like you are looking for...I look for songs all the time that "builds" up to a great ending, or more fast-paced footage, and that's the only licensing site we use currently...I always find something!

Two songs that have big "build ups" near the end I have liked to use in the past are Turn to Stone by Ingrid Michaelson, and All I Need by Mat Kearney. Both are available on Song Fredom.

Nick Reuter June 27th, 2013 03:08 PM

Awesome, I'm on that site right now and there is really good stuff.

Jody Arnott June 27th, 2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Reuter (Post 1802247)
Awesome, I'm on that site right now and there is really good stuff.

Check out "The Music Bed" too. Some fantastic music with great prices for wedding videographers.

Nigel Barker June 28th, 2013 10:09 AM

Song Freedom has some great proper hit records too rather than just production music. "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" by Marvin Gaye isn't very suitable for wedding highlights but they do have the wonderful "At Last" by Etta James that we used for the highlights of one of our couples as it was their First Dance track. Our current favourite which I would use on most of the highlights if only the couples wouldn't notice the repetition is "Brighter Than The Sun" by Colbie Caillat which is a super happy bouncy pop tune.