DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Rude Congregation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/517489-rude-congregation.html)

Peter Rush July 1st, 2013 04:54 AM

Rude Congregation

1 Attachment(s)
Well in 5 years I've never experienced anything like it - not only were they getting up going to the toilet constantly during the service (many had been to the pub before arriving) but when the vicar took the couple to the high alter for the final blessing and prayer, the congregation started to talk amongst themselves!!! you can barely hear the vicar as she almost shouts the words.

This audio is from my main camera shotgun mic - the audio from the groom's lav mic doesn't pick up much of the background babble thank god!

Unbelievable!

Also this wedding holds the record for the shortest best man speech - 15 seconds - I kid you not!

Noa Put July 1st, 2013 05:09 AM

Re: Rude Congregation

Wow, that's shows a total lack of respect, if I was the groom I would shout out that they all would shut up or just leave if they didn't care. You just wonder why they even bother to have a ceremony.

Noa Put July 1st, 2013 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Rush (Post 1802666)
Also this wedding holds the record for the shortest best man speech - 15 seconds - I kid you not!

My record is about the same, the groom was a farmer and his speech was "Thx all for coming and eat well" :) That would have been a great challenge for all those videographers out there claiming they tell a story. :D There was not another single speech during that evening.

Chris Harding July 1st, 2013 08:01 AM

My shortest was the groom

The clip from the Best Man leaving the podium thru to the Groom leaving the podium was 30 seconds ..He had quite a way to walk up there from the table so his words were pretty much "Thanks for coming - Cheers"

Just for interest my personal best long speech was a Father of the Bride ...his daughter was Christine and he began "When Christine was born .... " then he went on to say "When Christine was one ...."

Christine had just turned 33 just before her wedding day and yes, he covered every single year of her life. Daddy's speech lasted 37 minutes and 33 seconds ... one of the guests did fall asleep too!!

Chris

Nigel Barker July 1st, 2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1802672)
My record is about the same, the groom was a farmer and his speech was "Thx all for coming and eat well" :) That would have been a great challenge for all those videographers out there claiming they tell a story. :D There was not another single speech during that evening.

As Still Motion don't even need to include the ceremony I am sure that a small matter of a 15 second speech wouldn't worry them while telling the "couple’s individual story" This One’s DifferentBecause It’s Us – stillmotion

Noa Put July 1st, 2013 09:50 AM

I see a lot of speeches in their trailers, and the link you used has a ceremony included as well, with speech again, if nothing meaningful is said at all, you can't build a story, you can just cover an event unless you do a voice over like they do and that looks nice because it's something new but that's only suitable in a trailer not a full wedding. If I close my eyes it sounds a bit like a trailer for a hobbit that is on a adventure. That "telling a story" thing only works if you have some key ingredients but if nothing special happens throughout the day, if there are no speeches, then even still motions magic won't work.

Daniel Latimer July 1st, 2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1802738)
I see a lot of speeches in their trailers, and the link you used has a ceremony included as well, with speech again, if nothing meaningful is said at all, you can't build a story, you can just cover an event unless you do a voice over like they do and that looks nice because it's something new but that's only suitable in a trailer not a full wedding. If I close my eyes it sounds a bit like a trailer for a hobbit that is on a adventure.

To be fair they are able and do vet their brides pretty well before accepting a wedding job, so the odds of Still Motion covering a wedding as described is pretty slim.

Your point is well taken though that a lot of cinematic weddings are speech heavy.

Noa Put July 1st, 2013 10:04 AM

exactly, they have the luxury to screen their clients and to make sure they can build a story. With the wedding Peter did I"m sure that also would not be a type of client they would select. :)