DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Is it legal.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/518264-legal.html)

Jeff Cook August 12th, 2013 08:39 PM

Is it legal....

Hello. I would like your advice. I was contacted by a guy who is part of a fish organization. He out of his own pocket paid for me to do a short video on a particular river. I shot it edited and collected the money from him. He paid me not the organization. He wanted to present something to them so that they could finance a bigger video. After I gave him his copy, he told me his boss wanted to add a little slogan at the beginning of the video. I said just let me know. This guy gave me the logos for the organization and I placed them at the beginning and end of video.

In my contract, which he signed it states that I have the right to use the video for promotion. I placed the video on vimeo, and after 2 weeks the guy text me saying I can't have it up on vimeo. He stated that it wasn't approved. However, he himself who paid me said everything was great. Since it states that I have the right to the video, can't I take off the logo at the beginning and end of video and use it on vimeo? Thanks in advance.

I am starting to think this guy had me shoot and edit a piece that he may have said he did.

James Manford August 12th, 2013 08:45 PM

Re: Is it legal....

Hit the nail on the head.

That's exactly what he's probably claiming to his boss.

I would use the video WITH the logos. It's a promo your company shot. You have a signed document releasing the footage for promotional use as you deem fit. If the company doesn't like it, tuff. Let them spend a bit of money getting a lawyer to write up a letter asking you to remove it under what ever law that exists. Until then, don't.

Give them a hard time ... i'm sick of people that agree to one thing, but have a hidden agenda and change their minds.

Jerry Porter August 12th, 2013 08:47 PM

Well I'm not sure what the legalities are, but sometimes when I shoot corporate stuff it takes A LOT LONGER than 2 weeks for it to work its way through the approval process. So you might have jumped the gun on him and he doesn't want the cat out of the bag yet. And you may be upsetting some of the members of that group by having their stuff up before they have seen it. Just a thought.....

Nate Haustein August 12th, 2013 09:03 PM

You might be in the "right" but if he's a paying client trying to bag you a BIGGER project, hold off. At least for a while. Set the video to private on Vimeo and give out the password to anyone you'd like to share it with. I agree with Jerry and can see where your client is coming from - if the video hasn't premiered yet and you have it posted for the world to see on a public video sharing site, it kinda takes the wind out of his sails.

Be nice for now. Your happy client is much better advertising than just another video on your website.

Ask him again in a month or two and see where things stand. If he really is being dishonest or going back on his word, you have the contract. Just make sure he actually had the signing authority to use those company logos you put in...

Chip Thome August 12th, 2013 09:07 PM

When I was in retail I figured that every time I really pissed off a customer, I then had to go out and spend enough money to reach 10 potential customers. I figure that was the equivalent replacement number, my pissed off customer was going to drive away from me, when talking with whoever will listen to only his side of the story.

As my attorney asked me once "how much can you afford in order to be right?"

Jeff Cook August 12th, 2013 09:41 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I will hold off from showing it right now. He did however say, that they wanted to change some things and it was neither his fault or my fault. My thought is if they are not going to use it I want to at least show my skill. As for the logos, I do not know if he got permission to use them. He is one of the head guys of the organization though. I will give him a call in a few weeks and see what he says.