DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Arial drone crashes into groom (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/518364-arial-drone-crashes-into-groom.html)

Adam Grunseth August 16th, 2013 06:20 PM

Arial drone crashes into groom

I'm not sure if this video has been shared here or not. I searched to try to make sure I wasn't reposting it and couldn't find anything.

This isn't my video, I just stumbled upon it on Youtube. While shooting the bridal photoshoot with a quadcopter and a GoPro this guy crashes the drone into the groom's head.

Chris Hewitt August 16th, 2013 06:35 PM

Re: Arial drone crashes into groom

I tried to keep a straight face after watching this but I couldn't. Has to be the funniest thing I've seen in ages but I do hope the groom was ok. Wonder if it made the highlights?

Dan Burnap August 17th, 2013 01:12 AM

that sounded painful!

I filmed a reception once where a bunch of the brides friends picked up her and threw her in the air, as she came down she bashed her mouth on someone's shoulder and spent the rest of the night with a swollen and bleeding lip.

James Manford August 17th, 2013 01:25 AM

I'm sorry but hahahaha what an idiot! ....

A quadcopter at a wedding? just a recipe for disaster isn't it!?

Peter Rush August 17th, 2013 01:41 AM

Jeez it's the noise when it smacks into his head - so funny!!! Seriously though for that type of shot I mount my GoPro on a monopod and extend it over the couple or group - with the aid of a field monitor it can be quite effective.

Pete

Donald McPherson August 17th, 2013 06:10 AM

At least the camera looks as if it's still working.

Robert Benda August 17th, 2013 07:17 AM

Apparently the couple suggested (insisted?) he put it online.

The groom did get a cut on his face.

This isn't from during the wedding, but shortly before. Possibly a few days.

Bill Koehler August 17th, 2013 07:29 PM

Re: Aerial drone crashes into groom

Either the bride, groom, or both could have been seriously hurt.
You know immediately this is a pilot without training.
I'm sorry, but I didn't find it funny.

Warren Kawamoto August 18th, 2013 12:41 AM

We all assume this was an idiot pilot with no experience. But what if he was a seasoned veteran with 1000 hours of flight time? My point is that ALL aerial drone pilots will crash at one point or another. There are no exceptions. The crashes will occur because every operator is self-taught and unlicensed.

James Manford August 18th, 2013 02:00 AM

Re: Aerial drone crashes into groom

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Koehler (Post 1809007)
Either the bride, groom, or both could have been seriously hurt.
You know immediately this is a pilot without training.
I'm sorry, but I didn't find it funny.

How do you know he's a pilot without training, all because he crashed it? I'm pretty sure veterans crash at some point too ...

Rob Cantwell August 18th, 2013 06:20 AM

I thought it was hilarious!!! real laugh out loud moment.

it's like one of those TV shows 'What were they thinking'

when ifirst hit play I thought it was gonna be accompanied by bagpipe music lol

Nigel Barker August 18th, 2013 09:18 AM

At least it looks like with luck a DJI Phantom doesn't cause serious injuries although some of the beefier quad/hex/octa-copters could be a different matter. I do realise that the DJI Phantom could have taken his eye out which is why I said "with luck". How much damage would be caused if one dropped out of the sky rather than barrelling straight at the victim?

Noa Put August 18th, 2013 09:42 AM

The couple asked him to put it online it appears, don't think he will be getting any new inquiries because of that video :)

Even-though the couple had a laugh about it there could have been some serious injury and a possible lawsuit, not sure if it's worth it to get that kind of shot.

Paul R Johnson August 18th, 2013 09:53 AM

Two things surprise me - by putting it online he's showing the world that the controls many Governments are slapping on aerial vehicles are quite justified, and he's showing everyone he cannot fly them safely. Whatever the technical reason, or lack of judgement, he collided with the very people paying him. The fact there was little physical damage, and he didn't wreck their wedding is pure luck. Of course, his insurance would have compensated the couple if the wedding had been cancelled and settled their medical treatment - if the company did not consider him reckless.

We've all had near misses, but putting them up for public amusement and derision is plain daft!

Would you hire him? I damn well wouldn't! Hitting the client and damaging them is the stupidest thing you could do.

Jody Arnott August 18th, 2013 05:37 PM

I've flown RC planes, helicopters, quadcopters/drones for at least 10 years. So it would be fair to say that I'm pretty experienced. However, I still crash them fairly regularly. It's just part of the nature of the hobby.

My point is, it may not have been that the pilot was inexperienced. The issue here was that he flew a quadcopter at high speed towards two people. No matter how skilled the pilot is, you don't fly towards, or even around people. I'd never fly one of these to film a wedding (maybe with the exception of getting some establishing shots before the guests arrive). Even with an experienced pilot, there are risks of components of the drone failing and causing it to lose control.

All this video does is highlight the fact that there needs to be tighter laws and controls over drone use, which just makes it harder for the rest of us who do it professionally and safely.