DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   What do you guys deliver first? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/518366-what-do-you-guys-deliver-first.html)

Jeff Cook August 16th, 2013 08:55 PM

What do you guys deliver first?

Do you first deliver the trailer to the couple or do you wait until both the long version and trailer are complete to give to them? Many say they place the trailer on the internet so it gives them something to look at. However, I think the trailer might be more interesting than the long version and they may be disappointed.

Tim Bakland August 16th, 2013 10:13 PM

Re: What do you guys deliver first?

It's a balancing act in putting out the trailer (which comes first for me by about a month): dazzling them, but not giving it all away.

James Manford August 17th, 2013 12:03 AM

I provide the trailer as quickly as I can ... usually within 2-3 days or the first week.

Then I take about 1-3 months to make the complete film depending on how busy I am and what other work I have to juggle in between.

By providing a trailer, they feel a little more relaxed and have an idea of whats to come.

Nigel Barker August 17th, 2013 02:19 AM

We like to get a trailer out within a week or two to keep the couple happy then deliver the full video within 4-6 weeks. However as alluded to it's a bit of a balancing act & I do worry that the shine is taken off the full video after they are so dazzled by the highlights. I recall someone posting on this forum not so long ago about getting little feedback from couples after delivering the final discs which when they quizzed the couples was because they though that they had said all their 'Thanks' when they go the highlights.

It is my experience that I get fantastic enthusiastic feedback about the highlights but frequently little or no feedback about the full video. Maybe they are so dazzled with the highlights or maybe it's just because that a month or two later the excitement of the wedding has worn off so whatever you deliver then isn't going to have the same impact as something delivered within the first week or two after the wedding.

James Manford August 17th, 2013 02:40 AM

Do you guys deliver the film and ask for feedback? As in specifically say, give me some feedback and tell me what you think?

Not tell me what you want changed, but just a general what do you think of the movie?

Nigel Barker August 17th, 2013 03:38 AM

I don't specifically ask for feedback as I think that potentially this could end up sounding like "tell me what you want changed". If I have to post the discs I do ask them to let me know by email when they have received the discs & that is the usual time when they let me know how much they enjoyed it.

Roger Gunkel August 17th, 2013 04:14 AM

My delivery is different to most here as I receive full payment on completion. I would normally arrange to deliver personally to the couple and be paid the due amount on hand over. Having receipted the payment, I then get them to play parts of each chapter briefly to check that the dvd works properly on their equipment and that the end credits are correct.

As this has been arranged in advance, they are always excited to see it and it ensures that there are no disc problems. The two most common over the years has been a call to say that the disc doesn't play or jumps, or that the credits are incorrect. The former is almost exclusively due to their equipment problems and the latter down to their making mistakes on the credits list that they have sent me. My delivery and checking eliminates both problems and it is very rare that I get any later problems. It's also great to see the excitement when they first see their dvd.

Roger

Chris Harding August 17th, 2013 05:45 AM

I do much the same as Roger!

No trailer or "proof" as that is asking for trouble especially if you haven't been paid in full yet.

When the whole package is ready I email and get my money first, then deliver the DVD sets and give them the link to the online video, and test the disks in their player.

Look what happened to poor Tariq??? Whilst most brides would assume the trailer is simply a teaser you will still get the odd bride who might take it as a "take a look and tell me what you don't like" video, which can be bad news. Is it really necessary to entice them with a "preview"?? They have already hired you so you don't have to sell your product

Chris

Robert Benda August 17th, 2013 07:21 AM

I've gone back and forth on this. Right now, I do the trailer after the full video, but may still do a teaser immediately.

Here is my opinion:
The week after the wedding, excitement is still sky high. If you want a lot of online views/traffic, do a teaser/trailer immediately. If not, let it wait.

When I post something the week after the wedding, it usually gets four times as many views as a month later.

Steve Bleasdale August 17th, 2013 10:15 AM

Did a post a couple weeks ago same thing. I used to go all out with a 5/6 minute good trailer and then when give the DVD got no feedback, due to no surprise when they received the long trailer. So I cut the trailers down to 2 minutes and only few highlights... A lot better now...

Long Truong August 18th, 2013 01:39 AM

Most of our weddings have SDE so our couples and their guests get to watch it on the day of. There is simply no other marketing tool out there that works better.

The main feature would come later and if you do a good job with your edit, couples should technically love the main feature even more since it allows you to tell a more complete story and gives you numerous occasions to play with their emotions in many different ways.

Daniel Latimer August 19th, 2013 07:29 AM

I try to get a sneak peek video up within a day of the wedding. It's about a minute long, but it gives a quick preview for bride/guest to get excited about. No story, just fun shots.

The highlight video will go up, usually after a week. I want the bride and groom to come back from their honeymoon with something to get excited about from me.

The rest will come through a DVD/Blu-Ray once it is completed.