DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Aerial drone crashes into crowd, with injuries (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/518556-aerial-drone-crashes-into-crowd-injuries.html)

Warren Kawamoto August 27th, 2013 10:53 AM

Aerial drone crashes into crowd, with injuries

Owner denies responsibility, but is sorry. With these kinds of incidents, the U.S. will get closer to a total ban of these aircraft, don't you think?
Drone crash: | WTVR.com

Nigel Barker August 27th, 2013 11:02 AM

Re: Aerial drone crashes into crowd, with injuries

There have been model planes crashing into people for years. It's only news now that they can have a camera on board. When I recall what we got up to when I was a young kid flying model planes I'm surprised that neither I nor my friends suffered any permanent damage.

Bob Ohlemann August 27th, 2013 11:14 AM

Owner had no responsibility because he wasn't there and wasn't operating the drone. It was a rented piece of equipment. Personally, I think these crashes are good for the FAA to see. I'm not in any way against these things but there should at least be some effort to protect the public from the idiots. This was just plain stupid. If it is determined that the drone was being used in an illegal manner, which is likely, the venues insurance company will not cover anything. Any lawsuit resulting from injuries will already have the FAA determination that the craft was being operated illegally which puts the venue in a very precarious situation.

Bob

Jim Michael August 27th, 2013 12:53 PM

Note the FAR which they investigate this under: “No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another,” - this doesn't even address the commercial use aspect, which might end up being an additional area of interest.

Warren Kawamoto August 27th, 2013 01:04 PM

The victims speak.
CBS 6 EXCLUSIVE: Friends survive Bull Run, injured by falling aircraft | WTVR.com

Dave Blackhurst August 27th, 2013 01:57 PM

Hmm, I think they were in more danger from the bulls.... I'd sure rather take my chances with "8 whirring blades of death" <sarc> than a bunch of raging livestock!

And at least there's an "explanation" - battery failure, meaning operator error... once again... probably someone not fully familiar with all the "features" and risks "piloting" the rig. Always blame the technology, not the nut behind the wheel (stick). Yup, makes perfect sense.

People die on a somewhat regular basis when "spectating" at "xtreme events" - there are risks. Not to say that the risks are something expected at a typical wedding by any means, but aside from the novelty, this is close to a "non-event".

I'm sure the FAA has "better" things to do than criminalizing R/C aircraft, but if idiots continue to do stupid things, it's bound to get their "attention"... more laws, so we're all "safe"! New Zealand looks better and better, hope they had some "man up pills" at the medical tent!

Renton Maclachlan August 28th, 2013 12:29 AM

NZ has far tooooo many laws also, and idiot politicians and bureaucrats who think it their duty to interfere in our lives...so don't think you would escape by heading down here. That said, it's a great place... blessed in just about every way...

Rob Cantwell August 28th, 2013 04:14 AM

this isn't half as good as the one mowing down the B&G.....

i'm surprised there wasn't a safety template that the plane must keep within, flying it over the crowd is just asking for trouble, i'm sure a case of compo will settle in soon.

:-)